J.D./PsyD Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xamorphia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of programs that allow you to get a joint degree - J.D. and PsyD? I'm aware of Widner, but any others? I'd like to be aware of some options here. ^^

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks! I've run some searches, but never come across them as having that option.

Any others someone out there knows of?

Members don't see this ad :)
I found this link: http://www.ap-ls.org/academics/academicIndex.html

It has a link that opens a pdf with info on this topic. Both joint degree programs, and psych programs with concentrations on forensics/law.

As an aside, you may have done this already, but I'd make sure that a JD/PsyD is needed in order for you to pursue your career goals. Sometimes less than the dual degree will get you where you want to go. Good luck.

I am not sure what your goal is with a JD/PsyD, but I will just say - be warned on the costs! I have been working as an attorney at large law firms for almost 5 years. I make a lot of money, a ton of money actually - and that is not meant to impress. I am not happy and haven't been since or during law school actually.

Alot of attorneys and PsyDs (I imagine) go to private schools like DU and find themselves behind the 8 ball. First, to get a good law firm job, you need your program to be ranked highly. Second, if you go to a private school, you are going to have a lot of debt, a LOT. Adding a PsyD to that unless it's funded, seems nightmarish. Think about the point of getting a JD and PsyD? What is the goal? I don't have a joint degree - just a law degree. I know the PsyD wouldn't help in law, maybe family law, but you don't need it to be an attorney. I assume you are thinking forensic psychology. You don't need a law degree to do this. You need the experience. Maybe a JD/PsyD would impress to be an expert witness. I don't know.

I am thinking about PsyD/PhD, but I don't want to use my law degree really. If I did and it made sense, great, but I am not looking for that.

I also went to a top-ranked state school and graduated with very little debt. I paid it off in the first year of working. I cannot imagine having a ton of debt on top of not liking what I did. I had a friend that went to University of Denver, she graduated top 3 in her class with a ton of debt, she was able to get a job at my firm because she was so high in her class - then they fired her in a bunch of layoffs. She didn't like being a lawyer anyway, but it was a smack in the face and she has an incredible debt load. Tough world out there right now.

I think you really need to do the math and think about your goals. The math can work in law, but the happiness factor might not. Maybe you can do a google search for some JD/PsyDs and see if you could that with him/her.

I am not sure what your goal is with a JD/PsyD, but I will just say - be warned on the costs! I have been working as an attorney at large law firms for almost 5 years. I make a lot of money, a ton of money actually - and that is not meant to impress. I am not happy and haven't been since or during law school actually.

Alot of attorneys and PsyDs (I imagine) go to private schools like DU and find themselves behind the 8 ball. First, to get a good law firm job, you need your program to be ranked highly. Second, if you go to a private school, you are going to have a lot of debt, a LOT. Adding a PsyD to that unless it's funded, seems nightmarish. Think about the point of getting a JD and PsyD? What is the goal? I don't have a joint degree - just a law degree. I know the PsyD wouldn't help in law, maybe family law, but you don't need it to be an attorney. I assume you are thinking forensic psychology. You don't need a law degree to do this. You need the experience. Maybe a JD/PsyD would impress to be an expert witness. I don't know.

I am thinking about PsyD/PhD, but I don't want to use my law degree really. If I did and it made sense, great, but I am not looking for that.

I also went to a top-ranked state school and graduated with very little debt. I paid it off in the first year of working. I cannot imagine having a ton of debt on top of not liking what I did. I had a friend that went to University of Denver, she graduated top 3 in her class with a ton of debt, she was able to get a job at my firm because she was so high in her class - then they fired her in a bunch of layoffs. She didn't like being a lawyer anyway, but it was a smack in the face and she has an incredible debt load. Tough world out there right now.

I think you really need to do the math and think about your goals. The math can work in law, but the happiness factor might not. Maybe you can do a google search for some JD/PsyDs and see if you could that with him/her.

This is to ColoradoCutter -- reading your post made me sad, because you sound very sad, and I can relate. Right now I'm in the last year of finishing my PsyD, but I'm an ex-lawyer. After more than a decade of practicing at both firms and in-house, I got out to do something more soul-satisfying. I have not a single regret -- strike that -- I do sort of miss the money!;) But I love what I'm doing now, which was not the case with law. I can't believe I'll soon be getting paid to do something I would do for free.

Everyone's situation is different. I have a bunch of lawyer friends who don't like what they do and would love to start over. A few do, and most don't -- the hit to the wallet is the biggest reason why. I consder myself lucky that I had enough resources to weather the career change, but my family has felt it. We have enough for all basics, but less left over for luxuries such as new cars and vacations.Luckily I'm at a state school and I've managed to get some funding (although not that much). It helps a bit.

Anyway, I agree with your advice about JD/PSYD -- a lot of education debt for what perhaps is little additional career reward. As for you, my advice is do what makes you happy if you can. If you're not too far into the law thing, and/or you don't have too many other people who's lives you'll disupt by making a change, think about your options. Life is short!:)

I had heard last year that the JD/Psy.D. program was being discontinued. I know on their website it still provides information about the program, but you might want to double check with them on the phone or in person.

PGSP has a Ph.D./J.D. program (which is--maybe--close to what you're looking for):

http://www.pgsp.edu/program_phd_psyc_and_the_law.php

"Begun in 1997, this program, the first on the west coast, is a collaboration of the Pacific Graduate School of Psychology and Golden Gate University School of Law."

The University of British Columbia and Simon Fraser University have a joint PhD/JD program. It's in Canada though.

I practiced Neuropsychology and Forensic Psy for twenty plus years and then attended Law School ,graduated, received an advanced certificate in Mental Health Law and enjoyed every minute of the experience. I didn't do it for the money although i ended up being able to make an excellent living. It has afforded me numerous opportunties both in clinical work ,expert testimony/Forensic evaluations and being able to have a rather unique perspective. I also enjoyed Law School when I was older which might not have been the case when i was younger. In addition, i was able to work as a shrink while i attended Law School so my income didn't suffer too much and was able to graduate in 2.5 years. However, my situation was rather unique and i do not think doing both degrees simultaneously would have been as rewarding and stress would have been incredible! I believe, i would have ended up hating both fields if i had tried to complete them at the same time.

A doctoral program is going to be stressful enough, so piling on more classes back to back screams burnout. I've heard from a number of people about going back to school later in life....particularly for law. I started a pharmacology program towards the end of my clinical training, and it was nuts. I can't imagine doing law school while doing clinical....as both experiences would suffer.

T4C,
I know that i 'am nuts since i have just finished my first year in the NM RX program. I guess i'am a glutton for punishment! However, i am enjoying the learning experience and feel that the different fields/perspectives actually compliment each other. Are you enjoying your program?:)

T4C,
I know that i 'am nuts since i have just finished my first year in the NM RX program. I guess i'am a glutton for punishment! However, i am enjoying the learning experience and feel that the different fields/perspectives actually compliment each other. Are you enjoying your program?:)

Very much so. I have one class left to take (I was finishing up my research, so I didn't have time to take it with my cohort)....but there is no rush since I am in the middle of figuring out my internship stuff.

Is Dr. Hoffman heading up the program out there? I took 3-4 classes with him when he taught in the NSU's residential program; he was one of my favorite professors. I'm hoping to land in LA when all is said and done....but it is still up in the air.

T4C,
Dr Hoffman is there but there have been a few changes in the program last month. He was very helpful and funny in his own way. He helped me alot. You must have been in the Nova program since that program allowed grad students to take classes,plus Douglas was teaching there too. Our second year is essentially taught primarily by the Family Physicians and focuses on Pathophysiology. Luckily,no thesis requirement. I couldn't stand to be anymore research (psy ,law, or pharmacology).:)