j

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wix0027

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hghgh

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you really are a super-driven, hungry person - and I am one as well - then you should know that you would never be happy unless you can reach maximum growth. You won't reach maximum growth in the field of medicine as a PA.

Summary of OP's post: There are extensive, redundant threads on this topic. I know all of the basic and advanced details. What should I do?

What do you expect to gain here?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't say that to be mean, but rather matter of fact. You're likely at a point where you have all the available data and you just need to make a decision one way or another.

Reactions: 1 user
In my mind the biggest two things to consider are autonomy and time. If autonomy is something you need to feel content, go to med school. A PA, by definition, has a limited scope of practice and limited autonomy. The upsides to becoming a PA are basically that you don't have to go through med school or work for 80 hours a week for several consecutive years during residency and will earn a comfortable income, while being able to practice medicine to a limited extent (before I get flamed, I know PA school is still a lot of work... but it is less work than med school, and a lot less work than residency). The most obvious downside is basically that you'll only be able to practice medicine to a limited extent. Since your father was a PA, you probably have a pretty good idea of what kind of autonomy you can attain as a PA.

Very good breakdown sinombre. That is the foundation of my indecisiveness right there. I honestly think I value the time more than the autonomy...

Med school itself, no question, is not the reason I am apprehensive. It's residency. It's those late twenties-early thirties... Anyone have any input into precisely what residency is like in the current climate? In terms of lifestyle.