J1 visa after gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rywalker84

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was hoping someone could shed some light on this for me. I'm currently on a J-1 doing a prelim year. If I match into an advanced track (which, as I understand, will start July 2017) it would mean I would have to go home for a year after my prelim is done. Will there be a problem getting another J1 visa to start in 2017? Does the 2 year home rule apply in this case?

Thanks for your help!
 
Bumping for same issue...

I finished my prelim year on a J1 and didn't match last summer, so I left the US. Do I need to stay out for TWO years after this prelim year before applying for a J1? I am applying to mid-year PGY2 spots that starts this summer and I need to know if they'll tell me I need to stay out another year.