• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar - Starting at 8 PM

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy!

MedStudent28

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
I have a position that is almost guaranteed. The only drawback is that the hospital does not sponsor a J1 visa. Since I am a Canadian that is my only option. It was made clear that if I get the J1 myself without the hospitals sponsorship Im in. Does anyone have any experience with applying for a J1 VISA without the hospitals help?

Can an individual apply for the visa themselves?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

mmed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
No, you cannot sponsor yourself for any type of non-imigrant working visa including J1 medical. You have to have a contract or offer and the institute is the link between you and the ECFMG, the later is the visa sponsor. The institute has to fill section B in the application and the visa is renewed on yearly basis. Check the www.ecfmg.org and read the eligibility and requirement of J visa. Yes, few programs will not sponsor J visa and can only sponsor H1B or not at all (citizen or green card only)

MedStudent28

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
If you were to fill out the J1 visa information, pay for it, and then have the hospital complete the application (section B).

The hospital can provide a contract or offer they are just not willing to pursue the paperwork themselves. Is there anyway around this?

Or does the hospital have to complete the paperwork for you?
There must be a way to get this done.

Im not sure why you are saying that ECFMG has to sponsor you? I thought it was the hospital?

mmed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
If you were to fill out the J1 visa information, pay for it, and then have the hospital complete the application (section B).

The hospital can provide a contract or offer they are just not willing to pursue the paperwork themselves. Is there anyway around this?
Or does the hospital have to complete the paperwork for you?
There must be a way to get this done.
Im not sure why you are saying that ECFMG has to sponsor you? I thought it was the hospital?

It is very little paper work, the hospital will fill section B and you do almost every thing else; the fees, letter of need from your country, ....

The contract or offer from the program should be included in the package you are going to send

as I said not much paper work like H1B for example

That is not true, the ECFMG is the only sponsor to all J1 medical visas all over the country, the hospital is a link between you and the ECFMG. If you go to the ECFMG web page you will find all that

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.