J1 Visa Waiver from Canadian government?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atethesun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has it been done before?
I've read that in order for you to get the waiver, you need a "No Objection Statement" from your home country and Canada simply refuses to write you that statement
Basically, you are stuck.
Is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

This is incorrect.

There are three ways to get a J waiver. One is via a "No Objection Statement" from your home country. However, anyone training in a GME program on a J is ineligible for this pathway. So, it's not an issue.

The second pathway is an asylum petition. Those are complicated.

The third is the pathway that most physicians use. It's an employer based J waiver. basically, you find an employer who is able to offer a J waiver job. Each state has 30 such possible positions each year (so called "Conrad 30"). Also, all VA's can sponsor J waiver positions. Not site will be willing to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was supposed to be "Not all VA sites will be willing to do so".

The major point of my post is that you don't need the "permission" of your home country to get a J visa waiver.

Yes, as you have elucidated, the (no objection) path is not available for physicians on J1.

a VA (especially if affiliated with a university where the applicant matches) would perhaps be her/his best bet, since the resident could build a good reputation in his program and this would reflect to the VA administrative powers that be.

Correct me if I am mistaken in this reasoning.