Jack Westin Cars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChasingMedicine

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been using Jack Westin for CARS and although my scores aren't terrible I haven't been able to get perfect scores on any passages. Still getting 4/6,5/6,5/7,6/7. For some questions I don't understand Jack Westin's reasoning behind the explanation. I also have EK 101's verbal reasoning book from year 2000, first edition. Which one of these two are better? (I will be using all AAMC material towards the end of my studying, starting NS full lengths this week as well).

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I have been using Jack Westin for CARS and although my scores aren't terrible I haven't been able to get perfect scores on any passages. Still getting 4/6,5/6,5/7,6/7. For some questions I don't understand Jack Westin's reasoning behind the explanation. I also have EK 101's verbal reasoning book from year 2000, first edition. Which one of these two are better? (I will be using all AAMC material towards the end of my studying, starting NS full lengths this week as well).

The only useful material for CARS is AAMC material. Everything else is almost always off-base with the logic.

Reactions: 3 users
I had the same issue. I stopped using him because his logic was way off base I thought. Sometimes I couldn’t even figure out why the answer he said was right was right.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same issue. I stopped using him because his logic was way off base I thought. Sometimes I couldn’t even figure out why the answer he said was right was right.

That’s relieving! I thought there was something wrong with me! I’ll stick with the EK 101, thank you for your advice/input!!

Longtime CARS struggler here. Went from a 122 to a 126 (not great but still got me the MD accept).

For practice...
AAMC > NS108 > Old EK > New EK

Do as many passages as you can. Time yourself. Review your mistakes and write them down. Go over your mistakes once a week. REPEAT

Longtime CARS struggler here. Went from a 122 to a 126 (not great but still got me the MD accept).

For practice...
AAMC > NS108 > Old EK > New EK

Do as many passages as you can. Time yourself. Review your mistakes and write them down. Go over your mistakes once a week. REPEAT
I just bough NS cars strategy and practice book. Would you say NS cars is pretty good?

I just bough NS cars strategy and practice book. Would you say NS cars is pretty good?

Yes. Definitely get the most bang for your buck. NS108 is cheap on amazon and the most representative (IMO) outside the AAMC CARS Material. The NS passages are more difficult than the actual MCAT but the question stems are fairly representative.

Yes. Definitely get the most bang for your buck. NS108 is cheap on amazon and the most representative (IMO) outside the AAMC CARS Material. The NS passages are more difficult than the actual MCAT but the question stems are fairly representative.
Thank you. Are the bio and psych passages decent as well??

I relied on JW a lot and got used to his logic so much it screwed me up on AAMC CARS. I would recommend practicing reading his passages, but don't bother with the questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you. Are the bio and psych passages decent as well??

I didn’t use NS for bio or psych. If you want the most comprehensive bio review and questions, highly recommend TBR. By far the best bio prep resource. For psych, I would advise mostly Khan and Kaplan if your willing to get an extra book.

Use JW for practicing timing, reading fast/accurately, and getting the main idea. I did this for my first couple months of studying, then transitioned to AAMC only for the final month.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Is NS108 a recent edition of Next Step's CARS book?

What do you think of Next Step's online practice test CARS sections?

Not 100% sure whether NS108 is their most updated version. I used NS108 and took the test in September 2017 and felt that it was appropriate.

Ehh, for some reason, I liked the practice questions better in NS108 than I did for their practice exams. For practice exams, I liked Altius’s CARS section better than NS.

I relied on JW a lot and got used to his logic so much it screwed me up on AAMC CARS. I would recommend practicing reading his passages, but don't bother with the questions.
I am glad I am not the only one that feels this way. Do you think JW is way different than AAMC?

JW is the biggest rip off for a CARS tutor I took his course a while back and wasted money. He lied to me once during his course which didn't make any sense.

I used the EK 101 and it has helped me a lot. JW's logic is off and I felt it was hurting more than helping.