Jackson memorial hospital in deep financial trouble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CristaGalli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any current residents, recent grads, or attendings have any input on the situatiion? How does it affect the residency education? I hear patient volumes are tanking and there is a possibility the giant hospital would be closed!!! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Any current residents, recent grads, or attendings have any input on the situatiion? How does it affect the residency education? I hear patient volumes are tanking and there is a possibility the giant hospital would be closed!!! :scared:

Not familiar with the program (didn't look very attractive...) but I think it will survive. Mobama is the banker today...

Members don't see this ad :)
Jackson Memorial is funded by the public health trust of Dade county.
I don't think the county will let the hospital close, they might downsize or get rid of some ancillary places like Jackson South but Jackson Memorial is literally too big and to vital to be allowed to close.

Emails have gone out down here from Dean G and news coverage of the problem is very regular. Residents that I know that are PGY1,2,3, and just starting this July are really not worried too much about being out of work. As Plank said, the plan is to close some of the regional spots IF need be, ones far from Jackson itself. I don't hear anyone talking about closing Jackson ITSELF, what's known is that Jackson Health SYSTEMS is bleeding money badly. Anesthesia department is bustling across Jackson, UMH, and ALL their other sites down there...

Bottom line from residents is that they are the cheapest labor around, if there will be cutbacks, it won't be on MDs that make 40+K a year...

D712

I don't know anything about Jackson Memorial or Florida, I'm from the Midwest, but FWIW, Detroit Medical Center (DMC) had a similar problem, it's been hemorrhaging money for years. A couple of months ago it was taken over by a for-profit company based in Nashville, Vanguard Health Systems, which specializes in turning around bankrupt public hospitals. Same thing might happen to Jackson. I'm curious to see what the results will be for the DMC (I'm a Michigan native) - it may make the hospital run better and upgrade it's woeful facilities, but I'm not sure what impact it will have on the largely uninsured population it serves.

st vincents in manhattan closed which was an 800 bed level one trauma center . if that hospital can close any hospital can close.

Manhattan has many major hospitals, Miami has only Jackson Memorial and it is the only referal center for all south Florida.

This is an important point. JMH is essentially irreplaceable in Miami and the south Florida community. I agree they may downsize and eliminate some services, but the essential care that they give to a large chunk of those with low SES will stay. How this will affect patient volume and residency training I don't know...

yeah, i am a miami native, and i share the same sentiments as those above....from all estiamtes, there is no way JMH will close...Jackson is the only hospital available for the enormous indigent population (Miami is one of the poorest city in the US) and from what ive heard there is no way the government will allow it to close

yeah, i am a miami native, and i share the same sentiments as those above....from all estiamtes, there is no way JMH will close...Jackson is the only hospital available for the enormous indigent population (Miami is one of the poorest city in the US) and from what ive heard there is no way the government will allow it to close

the poorest people with lambos, ferraris, astons, 911 turbos, and buggattis. maybe i lived in the wrong area when i was there.

the poorest people with lambos, ferraris, astons, 911 turbos, and buggattis. maybe i lived in the wrong area when i was there.

Go a few blocks from the medical campus in any direction and you'll see...

lol...who r we to judge what joe smoe does with unemployment check, and now with obama running things, everyone will have a lambo/bentley....i agree, there is some crazy money in Miami, I think Fisher Island was ranked the wealthiest zip code in the US, but overall there is a huge disparity in wealth here and an enormous amount of indigent and underserved people who would have very little access to health care if Jackson were to close.

Poorest American cities
(Population over 250,000)
RankCityMedian household income, 20041Miami, FL$24,0312Newark, NJ$26,3093Cleveland, OH$27,8714Detroit, MI$27,871