James Madison University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwantmyAuD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

a shot in the dark here, but wondering if anyone has heard anything or has any first hand info about JMU in VA? any info would be much appreciated.

and, best of luck to those who are in the process of applying for next fall! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

a shot in the dark here, but wondering if anyone has heard anything or has any first hand info about JMU in VA? any info would be much appreciated.

and, best of luck to those who are in the process of applying for next fall! :)

Hey there,
I have no personal firsthand experience with JMU's AuD program and never had an interest in applying, however I will tell you what I have heard (because it seems like most of the people on the forum these days are not on the east coast and may not have looked into the program):

-Had friends from undergrad go visit the campus; they were not impressed with the facilities. (Can't recall exactly, but I know the words "strip mall" and "chicken wire" were used.) Still, I know that the AuD clinics at many schools are likely to be housed in a dungeon (or the football stadium if you're UTenn) so I can't say to what extent it was unappealing, comparatively.
-There are AuD students at my school who went to JMU for undergrad who are very happy with their decisions not to stay.
-I remember hearing from a few AuD students when I interviewed at another school, that they applied to JMU and never heard a response of any kind. No "we don't have all your transcripts," or "admission denied," or anything. Seemed shady to me. I would think any program that had it's act together would at least have the courtesy to mail out rejection letters!

It's not all bad though, and you should definitely look into it and make a decision for yourself. The Shenandoah Valley is BEAUTIFUL! Also JMU has a decent football atmosphere, if you enjoy that kind of thing. :)

Last edited:
I've never visited JMU but a former JMU professor taught a class of mine this semester. She had a wealth of research experience and clinical cases to present to us from JMU. I got the impression that they had a diverse clinic population and a strong research staff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to JMU last year & was waitlisted--interviewed & toured there. Last year they were accepting about 5 students & everyone who got in was fully funded. In their program they do not let you leave for your 4th year externship but place you with their program affiliates in Charlottesville or the D.C. area. Harrisonburg is a very small town, but the full funding is attractive. I decided to with a school in a bigger metro area. When I withdrew my JMU application I got the sense if I waited I would have gotten in, but I really am not sure if life in a town that small would have been a good fit for me.

I'm currently in my first year of the JMU program and am very pleased with my decision to attend. I had no problems with the application process and found the faculty very willing to meet with me on several occasions. I don't understand the difficulties that elcobb had with lack of communication......

(I remember hearing from a few AuD students when I interviewed at another school, that they applied to JMU and never heard a response of any kind. No "we don't have all your transcripts," or "admission denied," or anything. Seemed shady to me. I would think any program that had it's act together would at least have the courtesy to mail out rejection letters!)

I heard back from them quickly and know that those who were waitlisted or rejected did, too.

The Shenandoah Valley IS beautiful and I personally like the campus (though the strip mall comment is fair).

Hope this helps to give you some facts.

I'm currently in my first year of the JMU program and am very pleased with my decision to attend. I had no problems with the application process and found the faculty very willing to meet with me on several occasions. I don't understand the difficulties that elcobb had with lack of communication......

I heard back from them quickly and know that those who were waitlisted or rejected did, too.

It's entirely possible that there were some kinks that got ironed out in recent years. The folks I spoke to that had no response from admissions applied two different years, '05 and '06 I believe, so I just thought it was interesting that they would have both experienced the same issue. Like I said, I have no firsthand experience.