JAMP Program for Texas residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmac11

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you Texas residents heard of the Joint Admission Medical Program (JAMP) or have applied to it? If so, what are your comments and opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Have any of you Texas residents heard of the Joint Admission Medical Program (JAMP) or have applied to it? If so, what are your comments and opinions?

I know there have been a couple other threads so you should search it and look, but I know people who have done JAMP and really liked it. You have summer internships and stuff which is really fun. You have to be pell grant eligible, and keep a certain GPA, but it seems like the GPA you need is what you would need without JAMP. The only downside, which was told to me by my friend in JAMP, is that while you are guaranteed at school in Texas, you aren't guaranteed the one you want. Apparently, based on the size of the school, each school only takes so many Jampers. So like there are 8 schools, if there are 36 Jampers, Baylor, UTSW, UTH, UTMB, UTHSCSA, might all take 5, Tech would take 4, TAMU would take 4, and TCOM would take 3. So in a way it kind of decreases your odds on getting into your top choice, but you are guaranteed to get in somewhere. Also, it seems MCAT doesn't matter as much, because I know a few with lower scores, but you still have to take it. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the information. I really wasn't aware of the bad odds of getting into the top medical school of your choice, but the rest of it sounds pretty good. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the information. I really wasn't aware of the bad odds of getting into the top medical school of your choice, but the rest of it sounds pretty good. :thumbup:

Well to go along with it, I don't know anyone who didn't get into the school they wanted, but just the odds made it a little stressful. So you could end up ok. :)

You are guranteed admission to a Texas school, which one depends on your GPA and MCAT. You also have to go on interviews with the school. So you can still get you top choice Texas school if your stats are good enough.