January 2010 PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Principessa07

Jr. Drug Dealer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I already bought the barron's and kaplan book... thankfully I'm taking stats in the fall so that section within math should turn out a lot better than last time! I'm pretty confident in my verbal ability... I know I need to work on reading comprehension(any suggestions on what to use?) but my biggest fear is forgetting all of the science stuff I learned in first year... since it will be at least/over a year since I took my last first year course.. and a few months since o-chem... I'm debating starting to study chem/bio/calc now but I don't want to get too ambitious and end up forgetting everything by January... is there such thing as starting too early? Any suggestions from anyone who did well (85+) on previous pcats would be very helpful and much appreciated!! My goal is the 90s.
 
Start studying after your fall term is over, during the winter break. There is no point in starting now when your fall term is going to end up demanding most of your attention anyways. You might want to plan now, which is an entirely different thing. It's good that you got your planning started with your study materials. Try to find some high school stuff and some of the stuff from your freshman year. The math, you need to go back on your high school stuff unless you're very confident in that material. Definitely review organic chemistry. For reading, use some Examkrackers verbal reasoning passage books, the style is extremely similar and it helps you train your reading speed and understanding.

By 90, I hope you mean composite. Because if you're aiming for 90+ in every subsection, best of luck to you. If you manage 2 90s and a couple of 80-ish scores in the other subsections, you'll manage to get a low-mid 90 composite which is a very competitive PCAT score.
 
Start studying after your fall term is over, during the winter break. There is no point in starting now when your fall term is going to end up demanding most of your attention anyways. You might want to plan now, which is an entirely different thing. It's good that you got your planning started with your study materials. Try to find some high school stuff and some of the stuff from your freshman year. The math, you need to go back on your high school stuff unless you're very confident in that material. Definitely review organic chemistry. For reading, use some Examkrackers verbal reasoning passage books, the style is extremely similar and it helps you train your reading speed and understanding.

By 90, I hope you mean composite. Because if you're aiming for 90+ in every subsection, best of luck to you. If you manage 2 90s and a couple of 80-ish scores in the other subsections, you'll manage to get a low-mid 90 composite which is a very competitive PCAT score.

yes yes definitely 90 composite.. examkrackers? ill have to look out for that... i know they probably have alottttttt more pcat study materials in the US than in canada.
 
You can easily order study materials off the internet these days even in Canada. I got my hands on a few useful books from Amazon.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I already bought the barron's and kaplan book... thankfully I'm taking stats in the fall so that section within math should turn out a lot better than last time! I'm pretty confident in my verbal ability... I know I need to work on reading comprehension(any suggestions on what to use?) but my biggest fear is forgetting all of the science stuff I learned in first year... since it will be at least/over a year since I took my last first year course.. and a few months since o-chem... I'm debating starting to study chem/bio/calc now but I don't want to get too ambitious and end up forgetting everything by January... is there such thing as starting too early? Any suggestions from anyone who did well (85+) on previous pcats would be very helpful and much appreciated!! My goal is the 90s.

You might consider reviewing the material that you already learned in your first year if you are worried about forgetting it. It won't take a lot of time away from your fall semester because you aren't learning the material for the first time. When I review material I already learned, it is usually a brief review with me saying, "I know that. I know that. I know that. What was that part again? I know that." It really doesn't take that long and the repeat exposure will help you remember the material forever. It will help focus your efforts because some material you will learn and forget repeatedly while other material will just stick. Spend more time on the material that gives you trouble and you should have it down by test time.
 
I'm also taking the January PCAT. I bought the Kaplan book like a week ago, and I started reading it yesterday. Hopefully I'm done with it by the time school starts, then I can start reading textbooks and online lecture notes up until the big day. I'm taking Statistics, Org ChemI, and Bio1B in the fall, which will definitely help me on the PCAT.

There's so much stuff to study, I think my brain is going to explode!