JD/PsyD applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Annakei

Therapist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any out there? Just wanted to start a thread for those of us choosing this route. HOw are you angling your personal statement?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a JD and am considering PhD/PsyD programs, as well as med and dental. I really am not sure what to do. I've done a post-bacc (all my pre-med requirements) plus took the MCAt twice (all in the past two years). I don't ever want to practice law, and right now I'm working in retail while I figure things out. I'm really not sure what to do.

May i ask why it is that you don't want to pursue the legal field anymore? We have had a psychiatrist do just the exact opposite here. Just wanting to know your reasons..

Members don't see this ad :)
Annakei said:
May i ask why it is that you don't want to pursue the legal field anymore? We have had a psychiatrist do just the exact opposite here. Just wanting to know your reasons..

Annakei, that would be me! I am taking the bar exam in February, and if I pass, hope to practice law. I'm still going to stay in medicine, for awhile at least, but my plan is to eventually move over to a full-time law practice.

I can't speak for toof, but I think many attorneys find themselves getting burnt out -- especially those in the law firms. Either way, I wish you both luck in your future plans. A PsyD/PhD and JD is a great combination!! :)
Zack

Hi, it's toof here.

I entered law school knowing nothing about what lawyers really do. Law school was horribly boring for me. I didn't find a single thing interesting about it, despite all my classes and working at firms both summers in law school. I graduated with my JD but decided not to practice. Now, I'm 2 years out of law school and working as an editor at a magazine (non-legal). Basically I regret going to law school as I really have no interest in the law. My interest is in working with people, and you really don't get to do much of that in law. Law is a lot of paper pushing, and I don't like the law in general, which is why I found it so boring.

I don't think I'll ever use my JD.

Toofscum said:
Hi, it's toof here.

I entered law school knowing nothing about what lawyers really do. Law school was horribly boring for me. I didn't find a single thing interesting about it, despite all my classes and working at firms both summers in law school. I graduated with my JD but decided not to practice. Now, I'm 2 years out of law school and working as an editor at a magazine (non-legal). Basically I regret going to law school as I really have no interest in the law. My interest is in working with people, and you really don't get to do much of that in law. Law is a lot of paper pushing, and I don't like the law in general, which is why I found it so boring.

I don't think I'll ever use my JD.
it sounds to me like you either didn't pass the bar exam, or you went to a low-tier school. both will soon make you realize you "decided not to practice."

why do i even read these threads...

housecleaning said:
it sounds to me like you either didn't pass the bar exam, or you went to a low-tier school. both will soon make you realize you "decided not to practice."

why do i even read these threads...

Hmm....did anyone read that from toofscum?