JD to MD—Can it be done?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lillial

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm kind of nervous to post here, but I've been doing some thinking. I would love to hear from someone with insight into the med school process.

I have a complicated history with undergrad and law school, which I will not reiterate here. The short summary of the story is that I loved science and medicine, loved biology, and always wanted to end up going into medical school or nursing. However, I played towards my stronger strengths in writing, and ended up with an English degree and attending law school. I did not graduate from a prestigious university. Both of my schools have a strong regional presence.

I am 22 years old. I am in my third year of law school (because I take classes as night and work during the day, I will graduate in 1.5 semesters and I will be 23 years old at that point). After my summer internships and interacting with my classmates, I've realized that I dislike the law and legal community in general. I am deeply unhappy in law school. I was thinking of doing med mal defense so that I could be involved in science in some way, but realized that I'd still be unhappy doing that as well.

I've been thinking about the med school path. I'm one of those cliche "I wanted to do this since I was a toddler" jerks. I have one year of basic biology and some other biology electives (human biology and evolutionary biology), all of which I did well in. I have none of the other prereqs, like calculus, chemistry, or cellular biology. I have not taken the MCAT. My GPA in undergrad was 3.6 (in English, again), and my law school GPA is 3.8. I will graduate law school with no debt.

Is it worth it to change course? Is there anything I can do that would show to me that I'd enjoy med school more than the law? Will my history be cause for alarm for any admission committees? If I do this, I'd ideally like to shoot for a good program.

Thank you for any insight or comments. I know I must sound a little whiny and uncertain, but...I guess I am. Only one shot at a career, and I want to make it a good one. Thank you again!

Members don't see this ad.

Why not shadow some docs and see if it's something you like? You have a fine gpa, with room to improve it taking the necessary pre reqs. A family friend of mine did law-> medicine and it appears to have worked out for him.

Hello everyone! I'm kind of nervous to post here, but I've been doing some thinking. I would love to hear from someone with insight into the med school process.

I have a complicated history with undergrad and law school, which I will not reiterate here. The short summary of the story is that I loved science and medicine, loved biology, and always wanted to end up going into medical school or nursing. However, I played towards my stronger strengths in writing, and ended up with an English degree and attending law school. I did not graduate from a prestigious university. Both of my schools have a strong regional presence.

I am 22 years old. I am in my third year of law school (because I take classes as night and work during the day, I will graduate in 1.5 semesters and I will be 23 years old at that point). After my summer internships and interacting with my classmates, I've realized that I dislike the law and legal community in general. I am deeply unhappy in law school. I was thinking of doing med mal defense so that I could be involved in science in some way, but realized that I'd still be unhappy doing that as well.

I've been thinking about the med school path. I'm one of those cliche "I wanted to do this since I was a toddler" jerks. I have one year of basic biology and some other biology electives (human biology and evolutionary biology), all of which I did well in. I have none of the other prereqs, like calculus, chemistry, or cellular biology. I have not taken the MCAT. My GPA in undergrad was 3.6 (in English, again), and my law school GPA is 3.8. I will graduate law school with no debt.

Is it worth it to change course? Is there anything I can do that would show to me that I'd enjoy med school more than the law? Will my history be cause for alarm for any admission committees? If I do this, I'd ideally like to shoot for a good program.

Thank you for any insight or comments. I know I must sound a little whiny and uncertain, but...I guess I am. Only one shot at a career, and I want to make it a good one. Thank you again!

I know a doc who had their JD before med school, it's definitely been done. I have read on here that some schools will raise an eyebrow given your background; they may worry you want to get your medical degree in order to enhance your career representing insurance companies and the like, rather than practicing medicine, so you'd have to have shadowing and volunteering to counter this. But everyone needs these!

I don't think your Law school GPA will do much for you for MD. Could for DO.. I'm not sure.. But your UG GPA is fine.

I almost went to law school, chose to finish my pre reqs for med school instead and am so glad I did so. You're still really young (how are you 22 and a 3rd year??). It's just a question of if you want to put up with the sacrifices because they are real for all of us.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a doc who had their JD before med school, it's definitely been done. I have read on here that some schools will raise an eyebrow given your background; they may worry you want to get your medical degree in order to enhance your career representing insurance companies and the like, rather than practicing medicine, so you'd have to have shadowing and volunteering to counter this. But everyone needs these!

I don't think your Law school GPA will do much for you for MD. Could for DO.. I'm not sure.. But your UG GPA is fine.

I almost went to law school, chose to finish my pre reqs for med school instead and am so glad I did so. You're still really young (how are you 22 and a 3rd year??). It's just a question of if you want to put up with the sacrifices because they are real for all of us.

I think I would be willing to sacrifice in order to do this. I'm not really looking at medicine because I want to leave law, though that's part of it—I'm looking at medicine because it's something I've always wanted to do, and I guess I need to figure out how to reflect that. I am looking into shadowing and volunteering now. I think it might be something to do on top of legal work. Thank you for your insight.

I started college early. Again...complicated background.

You are so young! How's your debt/finances?

I think I would be willing to sacrifice in order to do this. I'm not really looking at medicine because I want to leave law, though that's part of it—I'm looking at medicine because it's something I've always wanted to do, and I guess I need to figure out how to reflect that. I am looking into shadowing and volunteering now. I think it might be something to do on top of legal work. Thank you for your insight.

I started college early. Again...complicated background.
It is unusual to switch without ever getting licensed and practicing. You run the risk of appearing capricious or incapable of honoring commitments. So the reason for your decision is something for essays, but it needs to be tight. I am switching, but after many years of practice. I do wish I had switched earlier, but not necessarily right after law school. There are a number of threads on here about JD to MD or law to medicine, but again, most relate to practicing lawyers who go back to school for medicine.

If I were you OP I would get your Law license, practice in whatever area you enjoy (could be tough in Big Law to do eh rest I'm about to lay out) and finish your med school pre reqs in either a formal or do it yourself post-bacc. Get clinical experience, nail the MCAT and you can be successful.

If you ultimately decide to do this I wish you the best of luck!

JD at 25. Trial law for 10 years. Med school at 36. IM/CCM. Finished at 45. In practice for 5 years..I love it. You can do it!

Reactions: 4 users