Jefferson LOR requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ADeadLois

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to their website, they require one letter from a bio prof, one from a chem prof, one from a physics prof, and one from a humanities. I will have 3 science prof LORs, but not from a physics prof. It did say they had an exemption procedure if you can't get LORs from the different array of profs above. Do you know if they are flexible about this? I wonder how many people who apply there actually have that spread of LORs.

Members don't see this ad.

im sure their exemption is used often because not many students really know about their spread of professor requirements prior to investigating jefferson med. how many of us can truly say that theyll have a strong rec from someone in the physics department as equally as bio, or vice versa and so forth? Im sure that if you have 3 science LORs lined up, ull be just as fine

braluk said:
im sure their exemption is used often because not many students really know about their spread of professor requirements prior to investigating jefferson med. how many of us can truly say that theyll have a strong rec from someone in the physics department as equally as bio, or vice versa and so forth? Im sure that if you have 3 science LORs lined up, ull be just as fine

Yeah, I don't think they're too strict with this one. This requirement was in place the year I applied too, and I used letters from two bio profs, a biochem prof, and a psychology prof, and no one said anything negative about my LORs. The requirement is pretty ridiculous, especially for a non-trad like myself, whose chemistry professor has long retired, and whose physics professor passed away.

Members don't see this ad :)
ADeadLois said:
According to their website, they require one letter from a bio prof, one from a chem prof, one from a physics prof, and one from a humanities. I will have 3 science prof LORs, but not from a physics prof. It did say they had an exemption procedure if you can't get LORs from the different array of profs above. Do you know if they are flexible about this? I wonder how many people who apply there actually have that spread of LORs.

That requirement is totally ridiculous, im sorry....

that requirement is only if you don't have a committee letter, right?

yeah that's really stupid. all of my chem professors have left the school.

As Erina said, I'm pretty sure you don't need to follow these reqs if you have a committee letter. When I applied last year I certainly didn't have those letters (but did have a committee letter) and nobody said anything.

I don't have a committee letter either. We don't have a premed committee at my school.

I didn't read those requirements until after I sent it. My only LORs are from bio, biochem and 2 nutrition (very science based but technically not) profs. Think they'll care?

Hkoser said:
I didn't read those requirements until after I sent it. My only LORs are from bio, biochem and 2 nutrition (very science based but technically not) profs. Think they'll care?

I hope not. Because I only have two science profs, plus a clinical letter and one from my employer =\

Agreed, its unrealistic. I have 2 sciences, a program coordinator, a humanities, and soon a committee.

Reviving this thread... just got the Jefferson secondary today. I have two science letters, one from o. chem and one bio. I took physics at a different university the summer after freshman year, so getting one from that professor is pretty ridiculous. I'm also a psychology major, and their requirements don't even allow me to submit a letter from my own major! Anyone who's already done this one have any suggestions?

Hey there!

Don't get frustrated by the physics letter ;) I didn't have one and (if my memory is not failing me) I wrote a couple of sentences in their secondary as to why not, e.g, I took physics too long ago hehe. I did have the bio, chem, another science letter that I don't remember, humanities, and from where I volunteered and worked letters. I would call and ask just to be on the safe side. Good luck! :luck: