JEFFERSON: need insight from those who know

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abram

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all of you at Jeff or who knows jeff: please let me know what the strengths of the school are, and how do you think it compares to top schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a first year at Jefferson and am very happy with the school. There are so many different kinds of people in my class and the vast majority are very laid back (almost too much at times!) They like to have fun and are very social. I like my professors and have enjoyed every class except Biochem. I think its a school that is always working to improve, particulary with it's new TOTALLY AWESOME Dean. I wouldn't know how to compare it to other schools since I only applied to schools in Philly, and after my Jefferson acceptance cancelled my interviews at MCP and Temple.

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody else have insight into jefferson?
thanks

i don't go to Jeff, but two of my best friends do.

some strengths:
(1) clinical reputation
(2) hospital--one of the country's best
(3) large alumni network

weaknesses
(1) research... thus it is not ranked higher by US News. what does a ranking matter? that's for you to decide.

some other factors that are neither strengths nor weaknesses, just a matter of preference:
(1) fairly competitive atmosphere
(2) somewhat conservative/traditional faculty
(3) traditional curriculum first year, somewhat "integrated curriculum" second year
(4) large class size
(5) philadelphia

good luck!

ABRAM,

I would have to 100% disagree with DINGISWAYO's comments about competitiveness. Being someone who actually goes here, I encounter no competition at all. Seems hard to believe since the rumor mill says otherwise (I, too, believed it at one point until i got here). So, if competition is a sticking point....don't sweat it. All you have to worry about is yourself. If it really matters to you, Jeff is no longer on a grading scale....Pass/fail from here on out.

Also, regarding philadelphia....well, being a native, i love this city and of all the medical schools in philly, Jeff is without a doubt in the best location. PRobably won't find to many people to argue otherwise.

Lastly, Dingiswayos other comments about Jeff are pretty consistent.

Good luck with your decision.

•••quote:••• I would have to 100% disagree with DINGISWAYO's comments about competitiveness. ••••Sorry about that... My sources of Jefferson information are good friends from classes of 2000 and 2002. I guess things have changed. :wink:

Jefferson does have a great location.