Jefferson & Neurosurgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MB333999

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knew how well known the neurosurgery program is at jefferson. I know they have a neuroscience center, which leads me to believe that their neurosurgery program would be good... but can anyone give me a better idea about this program???

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if anyone knew how well known the neurosurgery program is at jefferson. I know they have a neuroscience center, which leads me to believe that their neurosurgery program would be good... but can anyone give me a better idea about this program???

I didn't apply there (nothing against them per se) and don't know much about it...so I recommend doing a search on www.uncleharvey.com's forum to see what you can find. :)

I think it was last year that one of their students matched at Barrow, so they seem to have the capability to help/guide competitive applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy,

I'm just a med student and my info is 2nd or 3rd hand, so take it for what it is worth. Jefferson is a clinical powerhouse in neurosurgery and reportedly one of the best programs in the northeast for operative experience. Their chair Rossenwasser is a very big deal in the world of endovascular neurosurgery and Jefferson and buffalo are the two top places in the US to do an endovascular fellowship if you're a neurosurgeon. If you're a med student looking to get involved in some research I'm sure there's something for you, though Jefferson isn't known for its research.

thanks for the responses guys. and thanks for the uncleharveys link :)

What schools would you guys say are among the top for this specialty?

edit: seems to be hopkins, columbia, UPenn

Last edited:
I know that UCSF is among the top as well. I am not too sure about neurosurgery per se, but UCSD (collaboration with Salk/Scripps) is one of the top places for brain research. It likely translates to a good place for NS as well.

OP, PM me... I have some info on Jefferson for you.

as a med student in philly, jeff is definitely known for having and producing strong technical surgeons, while penn is more equated with research. a buddy of mine, who interviewed at jeff but matched in chicago, said that the residents there work hard and see operative experience early in their career.

aiming for neurosurg myself, i'd definitely place them near the top of my list since i don't see myself in academia in the future. neurosurg is a small community and your best bet would be to talk to someone in your department and eventually rotate there.

cheers

thanks for the responses guys. and thanks for the uncleharveys link :)

What schools would you guys say are among the top for this specialty?

edit: seems to be hopkins, columbia, UPenn

If those are the schools you are choosing between, you can't go wrong. The most important thing in med school for someone wanting to go into neurosurg is that they have a neurosurgery department actively involved in some research so that you can get involved as a med student. They don't have to be a research powerhouse for you to get some great research experience. As others have pointed out, neurosurg is a pretty small community and most chairmen, even those at smaller programs, will have connections all around the country.

When picking a medical school, I would look at schools that have departments in every specialty, not just neurosurgery. Somewhere along the way you may decide that neurosurgery isn't for you and you will want your school to have a department in whatever you may decide for you to get involved in (research, shadowing, mentoring, ect..) After that I would pick on desirability of location, cost of living/tuition, and where you will be happiest.

If you are serious* about going into neurosurgery, I would check out UVa. They have a powerhouse program with lots of research going on and a VERY well connected chairman in a beautiful place to live (cities are expensive and crowded and generally not for me). That would be my top place if I were going to medical school again and wanted to do neurosurgery. But keep in mind, there is no TOP place, there are a couple dozen places that are all just about equally suited to put you wherever you are capable of going based on your intelligence, work ethic, and personality.

*By serious I mean you have spent a significant amount of time shadowing a neurosurgeon and have a good idea about what the field is like, good and bad. And no, thinking neurosurgery sounds cool, loving the brain, and having Dr. McDreamy as your hero, do not count as reasons to have a serious interest in neurosurgery.

The most important thing you can do, wherever you go, is get great grades, kill step 1, be involved in your department, and do some research in the field. Where you end up will be 98% based on YOU, not where you go.

I second what DHT said about UVa. I ranked them very highly, and although I got my #1 pick, I would have been ecstatic to match there, too. A friend of mine starts there this July.

What is the most efficient way to find out if a school has an NS department or not? I know that I can visit the sites one-by-one, but was wondering if perhaps there is a list. I am not really sure how to quickly find out if there is an NS department after I do visit a school website. I wish MSAR had this information.

Thanks. That's like almost every school!