Jefferson Psych

Started by foster
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

foster

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone have any experience with or know anything about the Psych Dept at Thomas Jefferson in Philadelphia? I know the hospital is beautiful and the Medical School has a great reputation, but I was looking through their website and it states that their acute inpatient unit is only 6 beds 😕 . It also seems like you do a good portion of your training through affiliate hospitals in and around Philadelphia. Any info would be helpful..
 
I'm a Jeff 4th year interested in a psych career, so hopefully I can clear some things up for you. The inpatient unit/locked ward (14 Thompson) is 16 beds, not six. Must've been a typo. You do the majority of your rotations at TJUH itself (inpt, C&L, geri, addictions), though the CRC is at Germantown hospital, and some time is spent at Belmont. Anyways, the vast majority of your time is at 10th & Walnut, so don't worry too much about being displaced from the home base to do your learning.

The general impression I get of our program from the faculty is 'good in every area, but not great at any one thing.' The C&L here is pretty strong, but at the same time I think it suffers from abusing the fact that there are residents available- it's 4 months of your 2nd year alone, so it's a big deal. Most of the docs are pretty great, IMHO. I'd be happy to stay here, I'd have to say. Good luck to you!
 
Thanks for your input! Yea I figured it was a typo, but it was 6 on both the website and the PDF brochure. Yea 4 months of C&L seems a bit much. I guess Ill just have to go check it out and see how I like it. Thanks again.