Jefferson (SKMC) vs. NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bingus3000

Reaction score
I have As at both schools and need to decide soon which school I'm going to choose. I am 27 and currently live in NYC with my boyfriend of two years, who works in finance and is in the middle of his career. I'm struggling to decide whether to go with NYMC, in which case I would stay where I am and commute by car (~40 min drive, which I don't mind), or whether to go with Jefferson, where I would move to Philadelphia and try to come back to New York twice a month on the weekends (for the first two years at least) and then potentially move with my boyfriend to the Princeton area for the second two years.

On one hand, Jefferson is the higher-ranked institution and may open up doors for me when it comes to residency that NYMC doesn't (I don't think that I want to do a competitive specialty, but I definitely want to go to a top program). When reviewing the match lists, it looks like Jefferson sends a higher proportion of students to top residency programs across specialties as compared to NYMC. Students also seem to have more pride in going there, as opposed to a few people at NYMC that I talked to who said that NYMC was not their top choice.

On the other hand, I know that moving to Philly will put a strain on my relationship and trying to balance my personal and professional lives across state lines is likely to wear me thin. (My boyfriend is in a stage of his career where he needs to be in NYC and can't move to Philadelphia.) Additionally, it is probable that I will want to match into a residency program in NYC, where NYMC sends the majority of its graduates.

I'm really struggling because if I were a few years younger, I know that I would choose Jefferson. However, at this point in my life, I'm not just thinking about my career but what I want my life to look like outside of my job. I am going to be 31 when I graduate, and I will likely want to get married while I am in medical school and start a family during residency/fellowship. I hate the idea of being in a long-distance relationship/not living with my fiance/husband. But I also hate the idea of not choosing what I think might be a better opportunity for my education and career (but then I flip-flop and think maybe NYMC would end up allowing me to be accepted into the same residency program even if it is a lower-ranked school).

Basically I'm very confused and would love to hear if anyone else was/is in the same boat or has thoughts on the decision.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m going to go with NYMC. You put it together very well. You’ll graduate at 31 and are looking to get married soon and start a family. You know what you want and you seem to currently have the means to obtain it. If your relationship won’t thrive at SKMC, it’ll be much harder as a 27-30 year old in medical school looking to find a new partner.

I really don’t think NYMC will close any doors for you. It’s a decently solid school and will do the job in my opinion

Reactions: 1 user