Jefferson vs. Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CasaElGato

anti- vs. byronic hero
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone out there had ever tried to compare Jefferson and Michigan, trying to see which one to round out my top 3 with. I really liked both programs.

I like Jefferson because:

Super nice collegial atmosphere, first name basis with attendings (or so I hear - imagine that at other tri state institutions)
Seems to be very receptive to residents' needs
Diverse training sites
Center City location, Philadelphia a plus and fun town, not too expensive, lots to do - a real city
Really good restaurants
Good PM&R environment with other Philly programs
AI duPont for Peds, Magee is gorgeous and in Center City
4 weeks off + 1 week off for education/conference, good for returning to tierra de los gatos to see fam and stuff
Every service designed to be able to function without the resident there
Reading terminal/Italian market
PHL nonstop flights to SFO on UA and USAir, to OAK on SWA

I like Michigan because:

Quintissential college town, Ann Arbor is great small town, decent restaurant scene
All other aspects of medical center top notch
Seems to be a great procedure place
Quaternary referral center means great diversity in patients
Program is not too big, not too small
Home call
House officer union is strong there, benefits are good, vacation is really good (for going back to tierra de los gatos) as is pay
Meijer
DTW nonstops to SFO on NWA, fancier underground tunnel than O'Hare's UA tunnel

Gosh golly gee, don't know what to do...L-rd have mercy :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think it should boil down to restaurants!!! :laugh:

CasaElGato said:
Was wondering if anyone out there had ever tried to compare Jefferson and Michigan, trying to see which one to round out my top 3 with. I really liked both programs.

I like Jefferson because:

Super nice collegial atmosphere, first name basis with attendings (or so I hear - imagine that at other tri state institutions)
Seems to be very receptive to residents' needs
Diverse training sites
Center City location, Philadelphia a plus and fun town, not too expensive, lots to do - a real city
Really good restaurants
Good PM&R environment with other Philly programs
AI duPont for Peds, Magee is gorgeous and in Center City
4 weeks off + 1 week off for education/conference, good for returning to tierra de los gatos to see fam and stuff
Every service designed to be able to function without the resident there.
PHL nonstop flights to SFO on UA and USAir, to OAK on SWA

I like Michigan because:

Quintissential college town, Ann Arbor is great small town, decent restaurant scene
All other aspects of medical center top notch
Seems to be a great procedure place
Quaternary referral center means great diversity in patients
Program is not too big, not too small
Home call
House officer union is strong there, benefits are good, vacation is really good (for going back to tierra de los gatos) as is pay
DTW nonstops to SFO on NWA, fancier underground tunnel than O'Hare's UA tunnel

Gosh golly gee, don't know what to do...L-rd have mercy :)

If it's based on restaurants, we lose to Philly. Hands down. Hard to beat a place that has Morimoto's flagship and Pat's in the same town.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally M3 said:
If it's based on restaurants, we lose to Philly. Hands down. Hard to beat a place that has Morimoto's flagship and Pat's in the same town.

Morimoto is over-rated. Expensive for pretty mediocre flavors...

What about outdoor activities?

I grew up in the greater Philly metro area and went to college here as well. I think it’s a very reasonable city to live in. There are quality restaurants and everything else you find in a major city. However, if you enjoy the outdoors, Ann Arbor might have the edge. Boat House row and Fairmount Park in Philly are nice, but that’s about it.

njdevil said:
I think it should boil down to restaurants!!! :laugh:

honestly, you seem to have done your homework, unless one of the main traits sends you towards one. I would go with where you felt most comfortable and at home during your interview.

chauffeur said:
What about outdoor activities?

I grew up in the greater Philly metro area and went to college here as well. I think it’s a very reasonable city to live in. There are quality restaurants and everything else you find in a major city. However, if you enjoy the outdoors, Ann Arbor might have the edge. Boat House row and Fairmount Park in Philly are nice, but that’s about it.

I did go canoeing once on the Huron River in AA which was fun.
But it wasn't like whitewater rafting out West.
Philly seems milder temp wise though not superconducive to outdoor activity in Feb. It's maybe closer to skiing though the Poconos don't really stack up against Heavenly, Vail, or Whistler. Michigan seems flat, maybe not Florida flat, but pretty flat.

But I find endless minions saying how great AA is, though I am sure that it does not have the excitement of the DMC.

AA also is near Toledo.