jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
15+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
level at FL210
Status (Visible)
I'm preoccupied with music lately.

On Saturday Da Monsta Truck has an appointment with Prestige Customs & Autosound for a pimp soundsystem! Check out their website.

Pioneer DVD Multimedia receiver (AVHP4000DVD)..IPOD ready, XM radio

Alpine 5 channel amp (PDX5)

Alpine 10" subwoofer with ported box

License-plate-frame rear camera which shows up on Alpine receiver display when in reverse

4 Pioneer 6.5" 2 way speakers

Kinetik power cell (an extra battery since the system pulls alotta amps)

Viper alarm system with remote start

DA MONSTA TRUCK IS GETTIN PIMPED!!

Best ITune downloaded album so far.....PRODIGY Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Check out that Prodigy masterpiece if you wanna increase your to-da-floor-squat by thirty pounds.

Easy.

coprolalia

Bored Certified
10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2007
Paradise
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Rolling in that hooptie, it is essential that, when you drive up on someone and want to get the full effect, you roll down the windows and play as loudly as possible "Frankenstein" by the Edgar Winter group.

-copro

About the Ads

coprolalia

Bored Certified
10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2007
Paradise
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Rolling in that hooptie, it is essential that, when you drive up on someone and want to get the full effect, you roll down the windows and play as loudly as possible "Frankenstein" by the Edgar Winter group.

-copro

Ahh... EVEN better: Molly Hatchet "Flirtin' With Disaster." Now, that's some serious Monsta Truck MUZACK!

:thumbup:

-copro

nutmegs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
jet-o, you might be getting sold by the "prestige" peeps if they're telling you your 5-ch alpine is going to pull enough in the course of powering a 10" and a few components to warrant that gimmicky kinetik thing. I run 800rms (600 sub, 150x2 2ch) off my 1990 VW alternator and mid-line battery, no cap, just fine. yours is 300rms sub and 75x4 for your components....

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
15+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
level at FL210
Status (Visible)
jet-o, you might be getting sold by the "prestige" peeps if they're telling you your 5-ch alpine is going to pull enough in the course of powering a 10" and a few components to warrant that gimmicky kinetik thing. I run 800rms (600 sub, 150x2 2ch) off my 1990 VW alternator and mid-line battery, no cap, just fine. yours is 300rms sub and 75x4 for your components....

Yeah, youre probably right, nut.

This shop has been around for 13 years and from what I hear they stand behind their work.

I dont know anything about sound systems except that I want it to sound good. :laugh:

If he threw in a little extra thats unneeded thats OK.

IctalSmile

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The powercell is a capacitor right? I'd say its a good thing. Nothing looks lamer than some dude with flashing headlights cuz he has his stereo turned all the way up.

nutmegs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
Yeah, youre probably right, nut.

This shop has been around for 13 years and from what I hear they stand behind their work.

I dont know anything about sound systems except that I want it to sound good. :laugh:

If he threw in a little extra thats unneeded thats OK.
I'm sure they look great and probably have the technical skill to get it in your shiz without a scratch, my bias is just toward the well-designed, application-directed...
if you're planning on some prodigy and rage, consider going back and tell them you want a 12'' instead of a 10'' (or at least ask if you can hear one of each actually IN a car- not the showroom). the setup they have for you works great together - it's kind of a cookie cutter package- but as is but leaves little room for upgrade - you can't really go bigger on the sub without more power, and your sub amp is built in so you're capped on how many dubyas you can get. so when you find your bass is a little too soggy or weak on the kick, you're hosed. I find that most of the *hard rock* low-end tends to be a little more demanding, eating up 500-1000 watts (obviously depending on the driver in question) on the lows to get loud and clean. anything, including a dog turd, can play rap bass so make sure you aren't testing stuff out with the stereo guys rap CDs.

if megs designed one for you it'd have only front speakers, separate amps for components and sub, and 1-2 12'' low-end drivers and you'd tear up every time you got in your car. you're the customer, ask to see a couple of different scenarios for your cuppla grand before you drop it.

audio is so beautiful, man. *sniff*

/ends her unsolicited advice

nutmegs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
The powercell is a capacitor right? I'd say its a good thing. Nothing looks lamer than some dude with flashing headlights cuz he has his stereo turned all the way up.

like I said, with the numbers he's talking about it's very unlikely to make a difference. but hey, they're shiny. *shrugs*.

IctalSmile

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
like I said, with the numbers he's talking about it's very unlikely to make a difference. but hey, they're shiny. *shrugs*.

Yeah, tha MONSTA TRUCK probably has a bit bigger alternator than my civic did in High School....damn Im glad I dont drive that anymore

nutmegs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
Very appreciative, Nut.

So if I went to a 12" sub it would make that much difference? And what would I haffta change if I went with the 12"? I'll be playing alotta Prodigy, BTW.

lots of things make a difference in how your low-end will sound (by this I mean pure output/loudness, frequency response: how loud is each frequency as you move down through the spectrum, and the intangible "articulation" which is lack of muddiness/amount of thwack versus thud on your kick drum) - the quality of the driver, the size of the driver, the box and how well suited it is to that particular driver (they aren't one size fits all 10'', etc), ported vs sealed, and the POWER that runs through it all. (in general I think people REALLY under appreciate power).

you can make a 10" sound better than a 12" by giving it the right living environment, no doubt.

a 12 requires more space (both height because you're adding the extra diameter and typically more space as well). they also require more POWER than their 10" counterparts of the same line. power requirement differs from brand to brand and line to line, too.

sealed and ported boxes give you different sound - ported more output and low end, stereotypically sealed a "tighter" response although a custom (to the driver, not to the car!) ported box can sound Fing fantastic. sealed is easier to design and build correctly.

so, with all those factors, why do I still recommend it? I had a 10 for a long time in my small-azz car. changing nothing but the speaker, box, and power (to make them appropriate for both) I felt I got more fulfilling low end for the stuff I listen to- louder and fuller. I don't know much about the alpines these days, I bought this http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs_pages.php?page_id=4 and never looked back.

all of this to say, I don't know if it would make a huge difference to you. just make sure you are listening to different stuff IN CARS/TRUCKS before you drop the dough. buying an limited-upgrade available system is fine, but make sure you're happy with the sound you're getting versus your other options.

now you're edumacated ;)

cfdavid

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey Jet, just give us a heads up when you get that bad boy ARMOR plated!!:laugh:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.