Jet Goes Mac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Sony laptop took a dump! :mad: 5 years old so guess it was time....so many colleagues rave about the Mac so just got a Macbook Pro.....must say I'm lost (wheres the internet icon?...Ohhhh...its called Safari) but I'm sure it'll get better....

How many Mac users out there?

Do you like it?

Members don't see this ad.

My Sony laptop took a dump! :mad: 5 years old so guess it was time....so many colleagues rave about the Mac so just got a Macbook Pro.....must say I'm lost (wheres the internet icon?...Ohhhh...its called Safari) but I'm sure it'll get better....

Do you like it?
My wife decided she was tired of her old PC so now uses a MacBook and a big desktop Mac. After a year, she still hasn't figured it all out, and of course I'm little help :) . She does however love the iPhoto program and uses the heck out of it.

However - we've had to put Microsoft Office on both Mac's. Simply too many people use Word, Excel, and Powerpoint in email attachments, and Mac isn't going to open them. They'll tell you the Mac iWork program opens the Microsoft files, but it's a real PIA, and if you try and modify them, it gets totally messed up.

I'm sticking with my PC.

After being a PC user, I switched to Mac 2 years ago. I wish I had done it a long time ago. I love it! My computer never crashes, I never have virus problems, and I've never had to completely reload all my software due to bugs in the system.

Hope you like it too!

Members don't see this ad :)
On a mac, to right-click you can hold the control key while clicking.

I got my first mac ( macbook) when I started medical school 2 yrs ago and will never go back to a PC again. I had a few friends with a mac then my sister got one and they all loved them so I thought I would give it a try, glad I did. You can get word and powerpoint and all that stuff on your mac so I wouldn't worry about that.
I would talk to your colleagues for a few quick tips. It took me just a little bit to get the hang of it, but once I did I now know why once you cross sides to a mac you will never go back.

welcome to the light jet:thumbup:
yes you will need to get Office, just like you would if you got a Windows laptop
iCal, iTunes, iMovie, are nice.
I like safari, but Firefox is probably a better choice (less compatibility probs)

got mine when i started med school 4 years ago (got the cheapest laptop they made) and still have had to do nothing more than buy a new battery 1 year ago. you can buy almost every windows program you may be used to for mac now. i would never go back to a POS PC, and most people i know with macs felt the same once they got used to them

Got my first Mac 15 yrs ago. 20 Mg HD, 4 Mg RAM.

Have never owned a PC. Never liked using one at my various jobs, either.

Typing this on the sweetest 24" around.

once you go mac, you'll never go back!

it took a little bit for me to get used to it - once you learn all the little shortcuts though (like "apple key" + "n key" gives you a new page of whatever application you're using) it makes things really easy. Every once in a while I miss the right click though...

You'll like not having error messages and pop up boxes all over the place though!

Are they still throwing in a free fanboi for new users?

I bought a MacBook over Christmas break because my PC was about 6 years old and was starting to crap out and a lot people at my school have Mac's and they absolutely loved them so I decided to give it a try. It does take some time to get used to but once you start figuring how much better these things operate you will love it too.

Been on one my whole life , since they had the ol' 512K (that's right, Kilobytes). I love the reliability. It's never crashed, except the spill off my table and even then it still works. Slick OS, intuitive commands, and no MS crap error messages all the time. Bienvenue!

Members don't see this ad :)
Several months ago, I decided to make the switch once I finished residency, especially since they can do Windows and mac os. I figure a little 13" macbook for me, and a 17" pro or a desktop for the wife. So not too much longer. My brother switched a couple years ago. He said the first few days are a little rough and then you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

I used a macbook as my only computer for about 6 months when I started medical school and was less than enamored with it. These points won't apply to everyone but I call it as I see it.

1) Needed to use MS Access for my research project. Not avialable on Mac, bummer.
2) Liked Outlook much better than separate iCal, Mail, etc. Also missed the seamless synchronization between my phone, our exchange server, and outlook.
3) No right click button on my laptop! Yeah you don't use it as often as you do in Windows but saving ppt's for class etc I needed to use "download linked file as" a lot because I always wanted the file immediately stuck in the folder of my choice, not on my desktop. I hated having to do command click, what would be so bad about adding a button?
4) Safari incompatibility weirdness, ex no google chat on the gmail page (since rectified). Wasn't crazy about Firefox either.
5) One iTunes update completely and utterly froze the computer upon relaunching iTunes. Had to uninstall the program and reinstall a new copy. According to Apple, that happens sometimes with iTunes updates.
6) Powerpoint in Office 2004 was painfully slow trying to open the huge powerpoints my lecturers would post. Although the ones who created their powerpoints using a mac would sometimes contain images that would not display properly in the windows version. By having the mac I could see what I would have been missing. I haven't tried Office 2008 so I can't coment on any speed improvement with native powerpoint.
7) I hated the little green resize button. With only a 13" screen there were many occassions I would want excel, etc to take up the whole screen. Sadly I would have to manually resize it, which can only be done from one corner of the screen. That functionality is not intuitive to me. Why should the program decide how big the window should be?

I've been using a Vista desktop for a year (use the mac when I need portability) and no freezes, crashes, error messages etc on my windows machine. Counting the iTunes problems and one hard drive failure my macbook had, my windows record is so far pretty good.

Many people won't find the same things as irritating. And there were some things I liked. Using Bonjour was really easy to set up a networked printer. In windows I had to type in IP settings etc, none of that with the mac. Best of luck with the new purchase, hope it all works out for you.

Are they still throwing in a free fanboi for new users?

Yes, actually. He hides in the box for two weeks, then jumps out, slaps you on the forehead and asks why it took so long to switch to a Mac.

Looks like they are still offering a healthy dose of contempt with Vista. Did you get Ultimate?

Switched 1 year ago after my POS Dell crapped out. I got tired of talking with "John" and "Ken" in New Delhi for hours with no results.

Should have done it years ago.

Has anyone upgraded to Leopard from Tiger?:confused: I have read about some snafus and am a little gun shy. I guess I still have the bad taste of MS in my mouth.

Been switching between Mac and PCs for over 20 years. Mac always comes out on top for ease of use, awesomeness, and elegance.

Glad to hear that you made the switch, Jet.

Do you like it?

Thanks for all the responses, Dudes/Dudettes!

Now back to trying how to figure out how I can

1)set up the keypad so I can tap it to open stuff as opposed to hitting the button

2) sizing the page to use the whole screen...theres no little square in the upper right to make the page bigger!:confused:

Yes, actually. He hides in the box for two weeks, then jumps out, slaps you on the forehead and asks why it took so long to switch to a Mac.

Looks like they are still offering a healthy dose of contempt with Vista. Did you get Ultimate?

Wow, took over 9 hours for someone to respond.....I'm dissappointed. What makes you assume that I even use windows? (Right now I'm experimenting with Linux) Heck, I don't even think the apple's operating system is bad. I just cant stand the fanboi's, that's all.......

Wow, took over 9 hours for someone to respond.....I'm dissappointed. What makes you assume that I even use windows? (Right now I'm experimenting with Linux) Heck, I don't even think the apple's operating system is bad. I just cant stand the fanboi's, that's all.......

Should have posted to the Lounge if you were looking for a prompt Mac/PC flame.

Funny, I recall Linux being a trendy OS some time ago. Maybe no fan-bois, but no shortage of geek-bois. They even have a cute little mascot. Where's your Tux sticker?

Point is, out of the number of "new" Mac users, there are far more frustrated PC users than true fanbois.

Should have posted to the Lounge if you were looking for a prompt Mac/PC flame.

Funny, I recall Linux being a trendy OS some time ago. Maybe no fan-bois, but no shortage of geek-bois. They even have a cute little mascot. Where's your Tux sticker?

Point is, out of the number of "new" Mac users, there are far more frustrated PC users than true fanbois.

Dude chill out! I wasn't trying to insight (wrong form of the word?) a mac/pc riot or anything, nor am I trying to be trendy with linux. I've been using it for about a week and I havent found a good enough reason to keep it over xp. The little penguin guy is pretty cool looking though. Like I said before, Apple's OS is pretty good. I never denied that. I just think it's so cute how many mac users beat off talking to each other about how their mac "just works" even though when the guy who sits next to me in class couldn't get his MBP to access wireless for a ****ing month after upgrading to leopard, o's were being replaced by v's when typing, etc....

Oh, and I grew up on a farm in Nebraska, I drive an old beat up honda, and I wear t shirts and jeans to class..... I'm about as un-trendy as it gets pal and really couldn't give a ****. The lid on my laptop is painted red and I did get a cup of coffee at starbucks the other day though.....Looks like you got me there....

All of that said, should Jet find he likes the mac better, more power to him. If you haven't heard of them Jet, there are websites like www.macfixit.com that offer tutorials etc.

Thanks for all the responses, Dudes/Dudettes!

Now back to trying how to figure out how I can

1)set up the keypad so I can tap it to open stuff as opposed to hitting the button

2) sizing the page to use the whole screen...theres no little square in the upper right to make the page bigger!:confused:

1. click apple (top left), system prefs, keyboard & mouse, trackpad - then select clicking. personally i prefer to use the button to click, and select the "two fingers on trackpad and click" for right click. two finger scroll is also nice.

2. the green button sets the window to the minimum window size that is big enough to show the contents of the window. as monitors get bigger this is making more sense - but a maximise button would be nice imho.

so instead, if you want a window full screen you have to drag it to the top right, then drag the bottom right corner to resize it. fortunately applications remember what size they were last time they were opened, and re open to that size next time - so set up your browser etc. the size you want, then quit and forever on they will restart that size.

A few other hints.
mac os works by drag and drop primarily. so the easiest way to save an image from the web is simply to drag it off the browser onto the desktop (or into a folder)

spotlight is awesome - magnifying glass in top right

timemachine is great for backups - if you dont have one, get an external drive!

quicklook is great for finding the right pdf or powerpoint

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/quicklook.html
http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/

this might be helpful too
http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Beginner%27s_Guide

Dude chill out! I wasn't trying to insight (wrong form of the word?) a mac/pc riot or anything, nor am I trying to be trendy with linux.

Not exactly sure why you're so upset right now. I'm about as chill as they come, and certainly not worked up about this. I just don't know how you can paint me as the crazy one here, when you lob a thinly-veiled insult into a perfectly good thread.

If you're counting the hours until someone responds to your nonsense, you can't claim innocence when it escalates. I recall similar fanboy comments on the iPhone thread.

Not exactly sure why you're so upset right now. I'm about as chill as they come, and certainly not worked up about this. I just don't know how you can paint me as the crazy one here, when you lob a thinly-veiled insult into a perfectly good thread.

If you're counting the hours until someone responds to your nonsense, you can't claim innocence when it escalates. I recall similar fanboy comments on the iPhone thread.

If your so concerned sweetheart, why dont you offer jet some advice on how to get used to his mac/issues he's having?

Switched 1 year ago after my POS Dell crapped out. I got tired of talking with "John" and "Ken" in New Delhi for hours with no results.

Should have done it years ago.

Has anyone upgraded to Leopard from Tiger?:confused: I have read about some snafus and am a little gun shy. I guess I still have the bad taste of MS in my mouth.

I switched as soon as it came out...no problems at all. I'm glad I upgraded right away...if I had waited and heard about the snafus, I'd be in the same boat as you.

I think some people had problems initially, but most have been worked out.

If your so concerned sweetheart, why dont you offer jet some advice on how to get used to his mac/issues he's having?

:love:

I think JobsFan took care of that. Switching to a Mac requires some time to relearn basic tasks and deprogram your mind from thinking it has to coax the computer into completing tasks.

In a couple weeks, Jet will be just fine. He doesn't need me to tell him how much he will enjoy his new laptop.

It took me some time to get used to it, but now i love it. btw, you can get MS office for your mac if you really need it.
I've been bangin' away on this powerbook G4 17" for about 5yrs and have yet to have to reset it, pull the battery, or ctrl/alt/whatever PC's do. You may have a program that freezes every once in a while, but just learn how to "force quit" and you'll be fine.

Here's some sites that should help you pimp your mac. Go with the freeware.

http://www.macupdate.com/

http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/

http://interfacelift.com/

:luck::luck: