jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
level at FL210
Status
REVERSE TRENDELENBERG is an underutilized, quick, easy, free tool that will help you ventilate an obese patient, a residually paralyzed patient, and many other scenerios. Additionally,I feel it should always be employed on rapid sequence inductions for true full stomachs where no ventilation is occurring. You are effectively employing gravity to assist you in keeping the stomach contents in the stomach, by simply tilting the bed.

kazuma

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
I like using this technique with large patients. You can usually see the "extra" tissue slide away from the neck with a little reverse T-berg. Having gravity help keep gastric contents where they belong makes sense too.

I like these Pearls Jet, thank for sharing:thumbup:

rsgillmd

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
REVERSE TRENDELENBERG is an underutilized, quick, easy, free tool that will help you ventilate an obese patient, a residually paralyzed patient, and many other scenerios. Additionally,I feel it should always be employed on rapid sequence inductions for true full stomachs where no ventilation is occurring. You are effectively employing gravity to assist you in keeping the stomach contents in the stomach, by simply tilting the bed.
:thumbup::thumbup:

With proper positioning and a little reverse trendelenburg and it becomes like you are staring down at the cords, instead of forward at them. I love the view.

Bertelman

Maverick!
10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
Had a Cooch
Status
Attending Physician
:thumbup::thumbup:

With proper positioning and a little reverse trendelenburg and it becomes like you are staring down at the cords, instead of forward at them. I love the view.
I wouldn't say I "love" the view, but I do prefer it to the alternative.
:laugh:

GasEmDee

10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Totally agree. With patients who have full stomachs or active symptoms of GERD when they are laying down, I intubate those patients in a recumbent position, even as much as 45 degrees up in rare cases. I will still place a shea to maintain a good sniffing position.

lane

Passing gas
15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
At my institution full bellies will often get placed in tberg, as the attendings say it doesn't matter if the stomach empties as long as none of it makes it into the lungs.

Noyac

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Best one yet Jet.

I use rev. TBerg pretty often but I was never taught this in residency. I was taught to put them in Tberg like lane just mentioned. Well, I'd prefer not to see the crap coming at me than to hope it doesn't make it into the lungs. Plus, if it's spewing from the stomach then how do you intubate? Right through the **** or do you ventilate them while it's spewing or do you just place suction? I'd rather never see it and if it comes up while in Rev. Tberg then intubate and suction.

So far Jet, you and I practice exactly alike. But we are only on Jetpearl#4. Somehow, I know we will remain one in the same. Keep it up.

Hamhock

7+ Year Member
May 6, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Best one yet Jet.

So far Jet, you and I practice exactly alike. But we are only on Jetpearl#4. Somehow, I know we will remain one in the same. Keep it up.
How cute!

HH