Jewish Life at SGU,Ross, SABA, AUC

Started by Blimp
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blimp

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know about Jewish life at SGU, ROSS, SABA, or AUC? Is it hard to find kosher food? What about keeping Shabbat and Holidays?
 
If you're interested in religion, go to Hebrew Schule. This is medical school. There are plenty of Jews at each school and there are Jewish societies, but if you are so devout that you need organized events, then stay away.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know about Jewish life at SGU, ROSS, SABA, or AUC? Is it hard to find kosher food? What about keeping Shabbat and Holidays?

You can look for medical schools websites, They have some information pertaining to any organizations religious or cultural organizations.
 
If you're interested in religion, go to Hebrew Schule. This is medical school. There are plenty of Jews at each school and there are Jewish societies, but if you are so devout that you need organized events, then stay away.

I agree with above. This is not offensive, it is just the truth.

Maybe the stay away part is a bit much. Jewish doctors are not granted minority status. Wheverever you go in medicine, there will be Jewish doctors every step of the way. There have been Seders in Grenada, Sukot in Roanoke, and Menorahs in Georgia. Of course where I come from (Cherry Hill, NJ) doctors are supposed to be Jewish.
 
My question about Jewish life, was merely a question. Medical School is medical school and requires total dedication. Judaism is not meant to be separated from the rest of the world. A Jew must take his Jewish self and use his/her understanding of Judaism and apply it to his/ her daily life and profession including medicine. There have been many well known Jewish physicians including Maimonides, a physician to the Egyptian Vizier and a Rabbi who wrote a very influential and monumental work of Jewish Law.

Again, when there is a will, there is a way. Shabbat, Holiday, Kosher, and Jewish Life can be done anywhere. There is no contradiction. Sometimes it is just nice to know what kind of Jewish establishments exist or do not exist.

I make no apologies for asking my question. I take no offense at any answers, because the truth is the truth. Being Jewish may not be easy, but it is definitely worth it no matter what part of the world one may find his/herself.
 
Well, I hesitate to assuage your concerns re: SGU since that's where I go and you may/may not be a little unstable. However, I know a handful of students in the Jewish Student Association and they're all really nice people. We're all a little big older (27-34) so they might not be your age group but they're nice and are on the board. I think there's a Facebook page as well but not sure. They do fly in all sorts of stuff for Passover; they just had a 90's party last night (GND Independance Day today so no class!!) to raise money for it.

Anyway hope that helps, but I think you might be best-served to not be quite as thin-skinned as you appear. McGill grad made a pertinent point and you'll be dealing with some profs that are much more harsh than him but on a little island of isolation in front of the class during 1st term, not to mention when you get into rotations.

I'm not in the JSA, btw, just happen to know a handful of people who are
 
So since Judaism cannot be separated from the rest of your life does that mean if a religious belief in Judaism conflicts with helping a patient that you'd let the patient die? Sorry, don't intend to pick on your religion, they are all ridiculous to me.
 
"Being Jewish is hard I know"...surely you mean 100 years ago, not now, right? Believe me, I go to an essentially Jewish university in the US (Emory University) - and it's hard for people who AREN'T Jewish, not the other way around. A former President, Carter, gets yelled at each time he steps foot on campus because he suggested in his last book that perhaps we should consider that Palestinians are human beings and not build walls around them. Muslim, Arab and Palestinian groups are all abhorred on campus and told they don't have the right to form groups. You know what's really hard - being an atheist or a socialist. Have you seen too many of those groups in school?
 
I had a Jewish roommate my first semester at SGU. He was very strict regarding kosher rules. Somehow, he managed to find plenty of kosher food. Most likely he brought it from home, or had it sent in, via care packages. I think he did find some in some of the larger supermarkets on the island as well. SGU did not have any formal Jewish holidays, but during ones like Passover, for instance, he would get a group of his Jewish friends together and they would cook meals like gefilte fish with matzo ball soup. There are plenty of Jews on campus who are devout. You just have to find a way to make your religion compatible with med school life.
 
Wow, that was a really harsh and unwarranted response. I have spoken to someone that went to St. George's about Judaism and he told me that they have a Jewish group with about 50 students. It is not possible to get kosher food but on the high holy days chabad flies down and brings food and does a service. They also provide kosher food during Passover. There is no temple or ark in Grenada. Chabad did kosher someone's kitchen for Passover. Also, classes are over by Shabbat. My friend goes to Ross and she said there was not much of a Jewish life but I do not know many details. Hope this helps.

I hope posts in the future show a little more understanding and kindness toward all of our religious beliefs. There should be no intimidation in finding out about religion, if an individual can make a plan that will work for them, then I hope everyone can be supportive.

Calm down, the previous poster did not try to "intimidate" or anything, your getting over sensitive, just relax! I am sick of people who are previlaged in our soceity acting like victims...
 
"Being Jewish is hard I know"...surely you mean 100 years ago, not now, right? Believe me, I go to an essentially Jewish university in the US (Emory University) - and it's hard for people who AREN'T Jewish, not the other way around. A former President, Carter, gets yelled at each time he steps foot on campus because he suggested in his last book that perhaps we should consider that Palestinians are human beings and not build walls around them. Muslim, Arab and Palestinian groups are all abhorred on campus and told they don't have the right to form groups. You know what's really hard - being an atheist or a socialist. Have you seen too many of those groups in school?

Actually it seems from the news being an arab or muslim is harder, ALOT of Jews are doctors and they are good with hooking each other up and putting each other in higher places. So being a Jew in is almost an advantage as the above poster indicates.I think everyone knows that 1/4th of AMERICAN tax paying dollars foreign aid goes to ISRAEL which is has less people in it than half of NYC and it is considered a rich country. I wonder why that 1/4th doesnt go to Africa to help world poverty and AIDS, or stays in our country to help healthcare or fight crime. Hmmmmmmm but ya, sucks being a jew, you guys have it HARD.🙄
 
at sgu we have Rabi's come down for the holidays, but other than that the jewish club isn't that active. there have been some students who keep kosher and one guy actually brought down his own meat with him in a cooler. when i left the island there was a husband and wife that were orthodox, the guy was a student at sgu i think he was a 2nd termer, so you should be able to find someone who keeps kosher on the island if not in your class then in the class above you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah isn't this guy great? i just did a search for "Lehigh University icons" my alma mater and it led me to a page that had an image titled nerd.. and this was it..

I think it's hilarious..

Or it could be two jewish people sticking together like jews always do, :laugh: But I am not hating that's what makes you guys so successful and so influential, you guys always look out for each other and keep it in the family.
 
Or it could be two jewish people sticking together like jews always do, :laugh: But I am not hating that's what makes you guys so successful and so influential, you guys always look out for each other and keep it in the family.
enlightening thoughts...
 
...of the day:

My family and I wish all of you a Chag Kosher, V'Sameach, a Happy Passover, and L'Shana Ha'ba'ah B'Yerushalayim!!! 😍
***************************************************************************************************

O.K Jew haters of all kinds. You can have your stinking several minutes of "fame" by attcking me. Just glue to my post like a fly to a nice and juicy (or is it "Jewcy" to you?) piece of fecal matter. I was just assured by the World-Wide Zionist Conspiracy. That's O.K with us...the privelleged ones :meanie::meanie::meanie:
 
Or it could be two jewish people sticking together like jews always do, :laugh: But I am not hating that's what makes you guys so successful and so influential, you guys always look out for each other and keep it in the family.


Well now that i waited and I see that the mods don't give a fck and let these anti-semitic remarks stay on their website..

I guess i'll reply. WOW what a an anti-semitic piece of crap you're. You'll go very far with your narrow thinking and hatred. Maybe you should change your username from helpfuldoc to jew hater doc.

Go blow yourself up like the dumb-ars muslim that you are.
 
You might want some help with that massive chip on your shoulder.😉

You have no idea what anti-semitism is if you think what he wrote encapsulates true anti-semitism.

Don't get me started on the Moslems...lol



Well now that i waited and I see that the mods don't give a fck and let these anti-semitic remarks stay on their website..

I guess i'll reply. WOW what a an anti-semitic piece of crap you're. You'll go very far with your narrow thinking and hatred. Maybe you should change your username from helpfuldoc to jew hater doc.

Go blow yourself up like the dumb-ars muslim that you are.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From what I've seen, unnecessary and spiteful comments have come from both sides. Why don't we try to stick to the original topic and post helpful comments related to it? This thread among others is under surveillance.

you're a couple of months too late. but it's the effort that counts, right?
 
From what I've seen, unnecessary and spiteful comments have come from both sides. Why don't we try to stick to the original topic and post helpful comments related to it? This thread among others is under surveillance.

Leorl, I certainly understand the temptation to draw moral equivalency between the offence and the defense. But I beg to differ with You here. If you care to comment on "both sides" then let's take a look at which "side" started it first, right at the top of this thread. There are countless threads on "Are there (fill in the blank) at such and such school" However, questions about Jews always draw usual suspects with their useless comments to these threads. If one cannot contribute something of the value, and stay on topic why bother posting? I couldn't careless more what these ppl think on this topic, but they are scaring away newer members who are looking for helpful info, not some opinion which paints with the broad brush whole nationality, religion, and ethnicity. Hope it helps.
 
Unfortunately, any time you start a thread regarding a particular ethnic group, you open up a can of worms. Someone says something regarding the particular ethnic group, and others get offended.
 
Unfortunately, any time you start a thread regarding a particular ethnic group, you open up a can of worms. Someone says something regarding the particular ethnic group, and others get offended.

It maybe true, but it doesn't have to be that way. It's not so much of being "offended" (I can only speak for myself though). If posts were on topic regardless of being negative or positive I don't think you would hear any real objection to it. I respect any opinion that comes across these fora. But useless, and venomous comments with no info on the specific topic whatsoever are uncalled for, IMHO. Look, I'm not some thought or speach police, and I'm not suggesting that everyone must pretend to love everyone. G-D no! But You can almost bet on certain posters to jump all over this kinds of threads related to one group of ppl, and never post, or post in a totally different maner when it relates to others. I, for one, have never claimed to be right. But every action brings a reaction. That's all there is to it, at least as far as I'm concerned. Have you noticed that the OP is no longer posting on this thread? Quite frankly I don't know what "can of worms" was oppened by asking about Jewish life in unfamiliar places? There are tons of the same threads about Christian, Hindu, Muslim and any other (fill in the blank) life. But never such visceral responses from some posters who are always quick to jump all over threads such as this one. Again, I don't care. But if You don't believe me just go and check earlier posts of those who jumped on this thread. Facts will just speak for themselves.


Signing off this thread
 
Well, it shouldn't have to be that way, but I guess when you start a thread regarding certain ethnic groups, the thread will attract posters who like to make comments ranging from insensitive to downright offensive. In that sense, you open up a can of worms. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have threads discussing the life of certain ethnic groups (i.e. Jews). I think its something we could all learn from. But it is a shame we can't have such discussions without some poster coming along, and making a comment which is construed as offensive.
 
Well now that i waited and I see that the mods don't give a fck and let these anti-semitic remarks stay on their website..

I guess i'll reply. WOW what a an anti-semitic piece of crap you're. You'll go very far with your narrow thinking and hatred. Maybe you should change your username from helpfuldoc to jew hater doc.

Go blow yourself up like the dumb-ars muslim that you are.

First of all your response is racist and offensive as it gets. Let me clearfy something, I am Catholic and to just assume I am a "Dumb Muslim" just because I said Jews tend to stick together, come on, anyone living in NYC would just laugh it off and know its a fact of reality, its not negative. I wont mind if you said all Catholics stick together, which they dont, lol.. Or all blacks stick together, or all americans stick together. I did not say anything of hate or attacked a religion, what you did is offend a religion of the muslims for no reason. It shows the type of hatred and insecurity you have and biased views you have, so I think your describing your own racism in your anger outbursts. Let me add, I have plenty of Jewish friends and those from all across the boarder with religions. It seems you just needed an opportunity to voice the hatred you have towards Muslims which dont even include me. Thats like saying if I say 85% of blacks voted for Obama makes me racist, lol... you got issues man, and main insecurities, complexes, obvious signs of hatred and racism, please reflect on yourself before going on a racist rampage with a religion or group of people who have nothing to do with this...
 
First of all your response is racist and offensive as it gets. Let me clearfy something, I am Catholic and to just assume I am a "Dumb Muslim" just because I said Jews tend to stick together, come on, anyone living in NYC would just laugh it off and know its a fact of reality, its not negative. I wont mind if you said all Catholics stick together, which they dont, lol.. Or all blacks stick together, or all americans stick together. I did not say anything of hate or attacked a religion, what you did is offend a religion of the muslims for no reason. It shows the type of hatred and insecurity you have and biased views you have, so I think your describing your own racism in your anger outbursts. Let me add, I have plenty of Jewish friends and those from all across the boarder with religions. It seems you just needed an opportunity to voice the hatred you have towards Muslims which dont even include me. Thats like saying if I say 85% of blacks voted for Obama makes me racist, lol... you got issues man, and main insecurities, complexes, obvious signs of hatred and racism, please reflect on yourself before going on a racist rampage with a religion or group of people who have nothing to do with this...

Your original comment about Jews sticking together was probably not intended to be racist. I'm pretty certain about that. Unfortunately, its came across as a stereotype to certain people. You'd be surprised by how many people get offended by generalizations about their race, religion, or ethnic group, even if its not necessarily negative.
 
First of all your response is racist and offensive as it gets. Let me clearfy something, I am Catholic and to just assume I am a "Dumb Muslim" just because I said Jews tend to stick together, come on, anyone living in NYC would just laugh it off and know its a fact of reality, its not negative. I wont mind if you said all Catholics stick together, which they dont, lol.. Or all blacks stick together, or all americans stick together. I did not say anything of hate or attacked a religion, what you did is offend a religion of the muslims for no reason. It shows the type of hatred and insecurity you have and biased views you have, so I think your describing your own racism in your anger outbursts. Let me add, I have plenty of Jewish friends and those from all across the boarder with religions. It seems you just needed an opportunity to voice the hatred you have towards Muslims which dont even include me. Thats like saying if I say 85% of blacks voted for Obama makes me racist, lol... you got issues man, and main insecurities, complexes, obvious signs of hatred and racism, please reflect on yourself before going on a racist rampage with a religion or group of people who have nothing to do with this...


Actually through out this thread you've bean bashing the jewish religion and sticking up for the muslim religion so it would be clear to make that assumption. Also after making fun of the way i look and the context you put that other post in made it very clear that you are antisemitic. I had a muslim roommate at SGU and we were actually good friends because I knew he had no problem with me being a jew and he never had antisemitic connotation to his speech like you do. I gave the mods a chance to clear up the posts but they didn't want to do anything so I decided to stick up for myself. I am not an angry person but I know what to say to sound angry.

You also made the assumption that AngryBaby is a jew just because he said hi to me, when he's not, so just like I assumed that you were muslim because you stuck up for the muslims and brought them up out of no where in one of your posts, you assumed that just because he's saying hi to me he's a jew. So you're just as racist, in that regard, as me.

Lastly this thread is entitled Jewish life at SGU. You made it clear you're not a Jew and I am willing to bet you're not an SGU student either, so why are you even posting on here? mind your own business, do you see me post on threads about Christian life at some other med school? Answer threads you actually know something about. Don't just add to the spam just by posting something. You're under no obligation to post on any threads.
 
Actually through out this thread you've bean bashing the jewish religion and sticking up for the muslim religion so it would be clear to make that assumption. Also after making fun of the way i look and the context you put that other post in made it very clear that you are antisemitic. I had a muslim roommate at SGU and we were actually good friends because I knew he had no problem with me being a jew and he never had antisemitic connotation to his speech like you do. I gave the mods a chance to clear up the posts but they didn't want to do anything so I decided to stick up for myself. I am not an angry person but I know what to say to sound angry.

You also made the assumption that AngryBaby is a jew just because he said hi to me, when he's not, so just like I assumed that you were muslim because you stuck up for the muslims and brought them up out of no where in one of your posts, you assumed that just because he's saying hi to me he's a jew. So you're just as racist, in that regard, as me.

Lastly this thread is entitled Jewish life at SGU. You made it clear you're not a Jew and I am willing to bet you're not an SGU student either, so why are you even posting on here? mind your own business, do you see me post on threads about Christian life at some other med school? Answer threads you actually know something about. Don't just add to the spam just by posting something. You're under no obligation to post on any threads.

I dont think any excuse can conceal the fact that your nothing but an angry racist person. I cant understand why you will call someone a DUMB MUSLIM and use other offensive terms just for someone saying Jews tend to stick with each other. Hello, all NYC knows that, big deal, you dont find anyone calling those who recognize that as "dumb muslims". Like I said come with as many excuses as you want, I never attacked a religion or a person directly, from your post you accomplished both dirty deeds. You are full of hatred and racism. I hope you get all this racism flushed before you ever qualify to even be an assistant nurse. I think it is too late, as this hate, racism and anger doesnt develop overnight nor does it leave overnight, you need help you ANGRY RACIST YOU!!!
 
This thread has far outlived its usefulness. Closing. Please refrain from starting another thread to continue the argument.

Racist remarks and stereotyping are uncalled for and unwanted, from whatever direction or purpose they come from. Please cease this line of posting.

As a reminder, the forums have a feature called "ignore" in which you can ignore another user's posts. You guys might want to check it out.

For those who wonder why we don't simply delete the messages in question - we do not routinely delete messages on these forums, with the exception of advertisements or posts such as those that contain porno or distasteful images, or truly excessive language. We do act on the objectionable posts, users are given warnings or infractions. Users are also reminded that they can edit or delete their own posts, and sometimes we ask people to do that.

I don't think anyone wants the mod staff to go around removing every post that could be deemed objectionable by some. As you all know, there are wide ranges of opinions on what is or is not appropriate. Thus, we do not routinely delete posts. The posts in this thread are, however, perilously close to the threshold of deletion and we may end up removing them to restore the original thread. But probably not. If you want to restart the conversation on the original topic, please do so. But do not restart the race and religion baiting that took over the thread. Further posts in this fashion will result in infractions and possible banning.

As another reminder, we also depend somewhat on our users to let us know about posts that cross the line, in their opinion. Mod staff do not routinely review every new post and sometimes objectionable things slip in and go unnoticed. So the "report post" function is used to alert mod staff to something that you feel is inappropriate. Of course, just reporting something doesn't necessarily mean we will act, and in addition, sometimes when we do act those not involved might not see any changes, it doesn't mean we didn't act.
 
It is very easy to be offended by generalized posts and comments from users. Part of the reason some of these threads are not closed immediately is that they do sometimes highlight "unfavorable" views that people will come across in real life. The original post could have been of some use - there are some interest groups which are an important factor to where someone chooses to go. The fact that other posters choose to respond immaturely or on the flip side, may take offense easily, does not warrant closure. It of course would be better to have a general debate instead of attacking individual users.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.