JJK / Rad Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Burt Radnolds

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is for the true nerds. If even one other person has watched / read Jujutsu Kaisen this post was worth it.

1786589797815.png


At first glance, the supernatural battles of Jujutsu Kaisen (JJK) and the clinical precision of radiation oncology seem worlds apart. Yet, beneath the surface, both disciplines share a profound philosophical and practical foundation: they demand the mastery of an inherently destructive force to preserve life, and both are plagued by entrenched, conservative hierarchies that often hinder the practitioners they are meant to support.

Here is a breakdown of how the world of Jujutsu sorcery mirrors the science and systemic realities of radiation oncology.

1. The Therapeutic Ratio: Harnessing the Toxic​

In the world of Jujutsu Kaisen, cursed energy is fundamentally hazardous. It is born from humanity's negative emotions—fear, grief, anger, and stress. Left unchecked, this energy pools and manifests as Curses, horrific spirits that prey on humans. Yet, Jujutsu sorcerers use this exact same toxic energy to exorcise those Curses.

Radiation oncology operates on the exact same paradox. Ionizing radiation is a known carcinogen; it damages DNA, generates reactive oxygen species, and causes systemic toxicity. Yet, when precisely measured, calibrated, and directed, a linear accelerator turns this destructive force into the very mechanism that eradicates malignancies.

Both disciplines operate on a razor-thin therapeutic ratio. A sorcerer must output enough cursed energy to destroy the target without exhausting themselves or causing catastrophic collateral damage. Similarly, a radiation oncologist must deliver a lethal dose to the tumor volume while strictly respecting the tolerance limits of adjacent Organs at Risk (OARs).

2. Modalities of Exorcism and Fractionation​

The ways in which sorcerers manipulate cursed energy closely mirror the modalities and radiobiology used in a clinic:

  • Innate Techniques vs. Treatment Planning: A sorcerer’s innate technique dictates how they shape their raw cursed energy. This is akin to selecting a treatment modality. Is the clinical target best suited for 3D conformal radiation, Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT), or brachytherapy? The raw energy is the same; the delivery mechanism is what makes it effective.
  • Domain Expansion as SBRT/SRS: A Domain Expansion traps a target in a confined space where the user's technique is a "guaranteed hit". This is the jujutsu equivalent of Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT) or Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS). It requires immense power, sub-millimeter precision, and flawless commissioning. It delivers an ablative, unavoidable dose to the target, but carries massive toxicity risks if the setup (the barrier) fails.
  • Reverse Cursed Technique (RCT) and Normal Tissue Repair: In JJK, RCT multiplies negative energy against itself to create positive, healing energy. In radiation biology, we rely on the "4 Rs," specifically the Repair of normal tissue between fractions. While the tumor (the Curse) accumulates lethal double-strand breaks, healthy tissue utilizes its own biological "reverse technique" to heal before the next dose.

3. The Burden of the Higher-Ups: Hierarchy and Stagnation​

The most compelling parallel lies outside the physics of combat and the clinic, deep within the bureaucracy.

In Jujutsu Kaisen, the Jujutsu Higher-Ups are a cabal of conservative elders who dictate grades, mission assignments, and executions. They fear anomalies, suppress progressive sorcerers, and fiercely protect the status quo of the Big Three Families. They view sorcerers as disposable cogs in a rigid system rather than individuals pushing the boundaries of what cursed energy can do.

This mirrors the systemic frustrations often felt within modern medicine, and radiation oncology in particular. The "higher-ups" take the form of entrenched medical hierarchies, administrative bloat, and rigid regulatory bodies. Just as the Jujutsu conservatives stifle the growth of the next generation, modern clinical practices are frequently suffocated by systemic pressures:

  • Squeezing the Independents: In JJK, the higher-ups actively sabotage independent sorcerers who don't fit their mold, cutting off resources or assigning them impossible tasks. In the real world, shifting reimbursement models—such as the relentless cuts in the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (MPFS)—disproportionately squeeze independent, freestanding radiation oncology centers, heavily favoring massive, consolidated hospital networks (the real-world "Great Clans").
  • Stifling Innovation: The rigidity of the medical establishment often slows the adoption of new, efficient paradigms. Early pioneers of hypofractionation faced immense pushback from traditionalists who insisted on conventional, prolonged fractionation simply because "that is how it has always been done."
Satoru Gojo’s ultimate goal in JJK wasn't to slaughter the higher-ups, but to reset the Jujutsu world through education—fostering a generation of strong, intelligent allies who could rebuild the system from the inside out. It is a struggle intimately understood by modern oncologists striving to push for evidence-based, patient-centric care against a wall of administrative red tape.

Ultimately, both Jujutsu sorcerers and radiation oncologists are practitioners of a dangerous art, forced to master something inherently harmful to save lives. And in both worlds, the greatest threat isn't always the Curse or the cancer—it’s the rigid hierarchy that refuses to evolve.

4. Veils and Vaults: A Secretive, Eclectic Subculture​

In the Jujutsu world, sorcerers operate entirely out of public view. Before a mission begins, they drop a "Veil" (or Curtain)—a barrier that renders their actions invisible to non-sorcerers. To the outside world, the mechanics of cursed energy are a complete mystery; civilians just know that sometimes, unexplainable things happen.

Radiation oncology mirrors this secretive isolation almost literally. The specialty is physically and culturally walled off from the rest of the medical world. Because of the need for massive radiation shielding, clinical work is often banished to the deep basements of hospitals, encased in concrete walls several feet thick. The massive, lead-lined vault door is the clinical Veil.

Furthermore, much like Jujutsu sorcery, radiation oncology is a highly niche, often misunderstood discipline. To the general public—and even to many referring physicians in other specialties—radiation oncologists are frequently conflated with radiologists or medical oncologists. The actual mechanics of what happens inside the vault are viewed as a sort of dark art by outsiders.

This isolation breeds a very specific, eclectic culture. Jujutsu sorcerers are famously eccentric, speaking in the complex mechanics of their cursed techniques. Radiation oncologists and their teams are similarly eclectic. Part physician, part physicist, and part computer scientist, they speak in a highly technical, insular language of isodose lines, grays, and dose-volume histograms (DVHs) that sounds practically like arcane incantations to anyone outside their specialized clan.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha yikes guys, why so serious? This forum is pretty stale these days and was just trying drum up some fun discourse. The show has shocking parallels to rad onc that I kept thinking about over and over while I watched it and I found it cool and wanted to share. Unfortunately I'm not an iceman and the job is pretty hard on me emotionally. A little lighthearted anime discussion with people of similar ilk seemed harmless enough. Yes AI was utilized. I heavily prompted a high level paid model and made multiple personal edits. There has already been tons of AI slop here. There are several users on here that are basically bots with their AI use at this point. Also, pretty weak to be like YO DIDNT READ BUT I ALREADY KNOW THIS IS AI SLOP U LUCKY I DIDNT DELETE BUT YOUR HEAD IS NOW ON A PIKE FOR ALL TO SEE.
 
I think we all want to do what we can to prevent AI from entering The Discourse, including this forum, hence the vitriol. I deeply, deeply hate AI writing, as it is completely devoid of humanity, is always always far too long and verbose, and it took my em dash from me. I like the em dash. Have always used it. Can't anymore.

Also, I've never even heard of JJK and I'm probably not the exception. Kind of wish I had, though, because I'm sure the post would've been funny if I had.
 
Haha yikes guys, why so serious? This forum is pretty stale these days and was just trying drum up some fun discourse. The show has shocking parallels to rad onc that I kept thinking about over and over while I watched it and I found it cool and wanted to share. Unfortunately I'm not an iceman and the job is pretty hard on me emotionally. A little lighthearted anime discussion with people of similar ilk seemed harmless enough. Yes AI was utilized. I heavily prompted a high level paid model and made multiple personal edits. There has already been tons of AI slop here. There are several users on here that are basically bots with their AI use at this point. Also, pretty weak to be like YO DIDNT READ BUT I ALREADY KNOW THIS IS AI SLOP U LUCKY I DIDNT DELETE BUT YOUR HEAD IS NOW ON A PIKE FOR ALL TO SEE.

It's ok, we're not ASTRO.

We haven't banned you from our forums, blacklisted you from participation in the organization, doxxed you, or tried to get you fired from your job (all things ASTRO has done to SDN members).

I'll still delete it if you want. I'm not really comfortable with roasting our own members. I think the long AI style of your post on an obscure topic just struck a couple of us the wrong way.
 
It's ok, we're not ASTRO.

We haven't banned you from our forums, blacklisted you from participation in the organization, doxxed you, or tried to get you fired from your job (all things ASTRO has done to SDN members).

I'll still delete it if you want. I'm not really comfortable with roasting our own members. I think the long AI style of your post on an obscure topic just struck a couple of us the wrong way.
This is fair. And honestly I had a bit of hesitation in even posting it for that reason so I can't really be upset by the reaction. AI has probably cross referenced my mostly anonymous sdn identity and added to their database now. Honestly good learning experience in this new era. I get irritated when I start sniffing AI so I should hold myself to the same standard. Felt a little harsh though and I was mid clinic grinder so I lashed out.
 
and it took my em dash from me
keep the em dash, keep the parentheticals and the ellipses, explain your thoughts in your writing and minimize specious analogies

stay human, ef with the punctuation on occasion.

Best note I ever read was an attending medicine note circa 2006 (still a paper chart) regarding a VA frequent flyer. One line, "I wish we could do something for this guy."
 
AI with writing is a great tool, but it rarely does a good job of simulating good writing. I use it for my substack, especially technical sections or summarizing papers - and then edit those summaries as needed. But, the actual thinking process or making of the argument - that needs to be done by a human and use the tools to sharpen the argument. My most recent post - I made a presentation for my practice about microboosting, because I had to make the case to them. For the post, since my arguments were mostly made, I fed the slides that I wrote into it to help generate the outline. And then fill in the details from there. This is probably how "real" writers are using the tools. People who rely on it rather than use it to help are exposed rather quickly.

The AI detection software is simply not good. Substack has this feature where you can have it run through Pangram to check it and it was way off. The slides were mine, the words were mine, but since I inputted the slides, then it sways it in the AI direction. This is going to continue to be interesting times.
 
Don’t let grouchy board mods yuck your yum. The pearl clutching here is silly. Apparently it’s ok to use AI for clinical tasks (appeal letters) but using it to make a lighthearted post about how your job has parallels to a popular (I assume) TV show is off limits.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don’t let grouchy board mods yuck your yum. The pearl clutching here is silly. Apparently it’s ok to use AI for clinical tasks (appeal letters) but using it to make a lighthearted post about how your job has parallels to a popular (I assume) TV show is off limits.
That's actually exact correct. Appeal letters are business documents in which humanity is not needed or even beneficial. Forum posts are supposed to be much more personal and human in nature.