Job Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HansSpemann

OMG, Stem Cells
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I currently have two hES job offers: one is in a GI lab at BU, and the other is in a cardiology lab at UCSF. The BU lab just opened, but the PI has a long publishing record before BU; the UCSF lab is established. Do any of you, with all of your sage advice, have any recommendations on which one I should chose? I like both jobs equally, I like both cities equally, and the pay, after adjusting for cost of living, is about the same. I would truly appreciate any advice you could give me

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, I am taking two years off before I would like to start an MD, PhD program--thanks

So basically you are asking for advice of BU vs. UCSF?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, BU vs UCSF and New Lab vs Old Lab

Granted this isn't based on much, I would say go with the established lab as it may allow you to be the most productive. Also, my general impression is that UCSF is the more prestigious of the two institutions. Good luck.

UCSF.

San Fran seems like a more attractive city than Waco, and as far as I'm concerned, has a much more prestigious reputation.

I don't think it really matters... go where you feel more comfortable.

Ultimately, that's the point. Where you think you will thrive most is your best decision.

Most people's opinion on this board are pretty un-efficaceous. Most people on this forum don't really know much about any other institution outside of their own (myself included).

YOUR education is YOUR responsibility. If you find a particular mentor more appealing, you should get to know them and find out for yourself. I can't do that for you.

Your choice of mentor is the most important decision you will make. The next 8-10 years of your life will pan-out based solely on your ambition. With any MSTP program, or any R1 Institution, you will have AMPLE opportunity to strive into the stratospshere... It's up to you now to go claim it.

Go where you feel you will do the best.

Oops, I meant Boston University, not Baylor. Thank you for the comment

Hmm... I'm pretty confused too...

I thought you were thinking about an MSTP program, as opposed to a pre-MSTP job

I still think the mentor is the hardest selling point

Go somewhere with exciting, quaity projects, and with the person who you think will support you in an enthusiastic, encouraging manner (and any pubs you get in the process will ice that cake).

Also, go with someone at an institution where you think you might want to matriculate, as internal recommendations are always the most influential.

For Christ Sake! I'm am MD/PhD student.. I don't know anything about "jobs!" :)

It's all about working it from the inside.. if you gain the respect and trust of those who you work with, you should have no trouble getting LOR/admission.

Talk to the PIs and what are their expectations of you for the next two years, what are the projects at hand, etc., and decide for yourself which will be the better fit. You generally get more attention in a new lab, but the PI will be more hands-on and put more pressure on you. For established/large labs, the opposite is usually true. The prestige (of the PI) may be taken into consideration when it comes to LORs, and if you are more interested in one of the two then you should definitely go there and check it out.

BU:
COLD! Lousy climate except summers.
BU has less funding available relative to a top tier institution like UCSF (BU is in a lot of debt right now) although I realize that the ability of the PI plays a role in obtaining grants

In the end, I believe you would want to establish good contacts especially for your MD/Ph.D application in the near future. Employment from a top tier institution probably has more prestige and weight, and may facilitate your entrance into the MD/Ph.D at UCSF if you make the right connections. I would go with UCSF just considering long-term advantages and more funding.

That's my 2 cents.