Job Change - Update Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cariesRbad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in 2010 and have since been working. At the time I filled out my AADSAS, I was a chemist. However, for the last couple of months I have been working for a dental research and products company. I am getting really great experience and learning about early caries detection as well as dental technology.

I believe this experience would bode well for me as an applicant. Should I email my schools and update them on my recent change? Or will it not matter because it's not on my AADSAS or secondaries (submitted prior to job change).

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated in 2010 and have since been working. At the time I filled out my AADSAS, I was a chemist. However, for the last couple of months I have been working for a dental research and products company. I am getting really great experience and learning about early caries detection as well as dental technology.

I believe this experience would bode well for me as an applicant. Should I email my schools and update them on my recent change? Or will it not matter because it's not on my AADSAS or secondaries (submitted prior to job change).

Bring that up in your interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else have any advice? I would really appreciate it. I'm struggling with what to do about this.

Does anyone else have any advice? I would really appreciate it. I'm struggling with what to do about this.

Email schools with this update. i am sure that they will add it in your file.

While you are at it, update them on the weather in your city.

I believe the professional experience section cannot be updated after submission. You could email the schools directly, though. I suppose it couldn't hurt.

You're putting too much value on this type of update. I don't think the new experience will be a difference maker. The bottom line is your GPA and DAT need to be in a competitive range to pass the initial cut. Then the other secondary factors (LOE, PS, shadowing, etc) will come into play. I think your new job description falls in the tertiary factor category.

I would use caution about emailing the schools. I'm sure there are hundreds of applicants who contact the schools daily trying to "stretch" any kind of update into a valid one. It appears desperate and sort of like a "hustle" for lack of a better word. Thus, your attempt may be construed this way.

You're putting too much value on this type of update. I don't think the new experience will be a difference maker. The bottom line is your GPA and DAT need to be in a competitive range to pass the initial cut. Then the other secondary factors (LOE, PS, shadowing, etc) will come into play. I think your new job description falls in the tertiary factor category.

I would use caution about emailing the schools. I'm sure there are hundreds of applicants who contact the schools daily trying to "stretch" any kind of update into a valid one. It appears desperate and sort of like a "hustle" for lack of a better word. Thus, your attempt may be construed this way.

Thanks YoHomey. I believe you are right. Good call.

I would just make it a point in an interview. I wouldn't update every school.