job during gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetsaja

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kinds of jobs are available to Biology majors if I wanted to work for a year while I applied to med schools? I have pretty much no work experience, but have done research at my university.

Members don't see this ad.

I was a construction worker during my two gap years.

Members don't see this ad :)
right now, I'm working as a physician office assistant at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in NY. Any work worthwhile would be good, I chose to lean towards something in the health field.

I'm working in lab (research) at one of the top 5 med schools in the country during my gap year :)

Capitalize on your research experience and see if there are any labs you can work in. Be prepared though that w/ a general degree like Biology, you will have to be trained (or your PI might feel that you would need to be extensively trained).

What kinds of jobs are available to Biology majors if I wanted to work for a year while I applied to med schools? I have pretty much no work experience, but have done research at my university.

No work experience and only experience doing research sounds like it would be a tough job market for you. My advice, stick to a research based job. Look around at medical schools and try to find a research job.

I have a general bio degree...I work as a medical writer, clinical research coordinator, health search expert (a job i just do for fun), and genetics research associate (i build a database).

To be honest as long as you are doing something, its better than nothing... You do not necessarily have to do somethign in the health care field (I work as a research analyst at a chemical engineering company and I'm sure that won't count against me b/c its not health related). However, with research experience try something like clinical research or a research associate. I'm not sure where you are from, I'm from the bay area. So we have a bunch of research assistant positions at UCSF and Stanford....so try looking for universities near by and getting research assistant position or clinical research postions. But anything you do stands out as long as you can explain how you grew as a person from that experience...good luck