Job help, which one to take

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docgemini

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be finishing up as an advanced imaging cardiologist in a major city and I have two jobs that I am considering, would like your thoughts on this

Job1: Employed by the Med school as faculty in an outpatient only job to establish a new clinic in a lower-middle income suburb. Currently there is a large tertiary care hospital there with a large private cardiology group that I will be competing against. No call. Clinic 6 half Sessions a week, primary echo reader at the med school one day a week (work till 7-8pm that day). I don’t get to control my daily schedule much and I won’t be on the medical school campus but may have a small directorship. No ability to read CT or Vascular which I am trained in and only limited nuclear readings. Will be able to interact with fellows and residents during my echo reading day at the Med school. I have been told that I will be judged on the success of this new Clinic (new patients, patients going to the main campus for procedures etc)

Job 2: Private Practice at a Heart Hospital which has a very good reputation within the city and nationally. Call one weeknight a week (non invasive so don’t go in house) and one weekend in 5 (round on about 10-12 patients). We do not cover the ER so don’t have to worry about that. Have control on my schedule and my partners are easy going. Will be able to read CT, nuclear and vascular. They don’t have residents or fellows but are planning a fellowship program which I will likely be able to have a significant role in. Salary is ~ 70k more and after 3 years it’s a eat what you kill model. Ability to buy shares in the heart hospital if I choose.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am an imager with a skill set similar to yours and about 5 years out of fellowship. I would take job 2, its too early in your career to take a job like the first one. It pigeon holes you in to a limited skill set that will not translate well in a few years if you decide to leave that job. Also there are way too many variables beyond your abilities that will dictate the success of that clinic. The first job seems like a better fit for an older cardiologist with a limited skill set who does not want to take call anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an imager with a skill set similar to yours and about 5 years out of fellowship. I would take job 2, its too early in your career to take a job like the first one. It pigeon holes you in to a limited skill set that will not translate well in a few years if you decide to leave that job. Also there are way too many variables beyond your abilities that will dictate the success of that clinic. The first job seems like a better fit for an older cardiologist with a limited skill set who does not want to take call anymore.

Appreciate the thoughts, thanks, thoughts from others?

I would wonder about exact pay differential? How much vacation? Job 2 is RVU based but how about job 1? Just some preliminary thoughts.

I would wonder about exact pay differential? How much vacation? Job 2 is RVU based but how about job 1? Just some preliminary thoughts.

Job 2 is 60k more base salary. Job 1 is also RVU based. Job 2 has 6 weeks of vacation, job 1 has 3 weeks but again, there is no call with Job 1

Last edited:
I will be finishing up as an advanced imaging cardiologist in a major city and I have two jobs that I am considering, would like your thoughts on this

Job1: Employed by the Med school as faculty in an outpatient only job to establish a new clinic in a lower-middle income suburb. Currently there is a large tertiary care hospital there with a large private cardiology group that I will be competing against. No call. Clinic 6 half Sessions a week, primary echo reader at the med school one day a week (work till 7-8pm that day). I don’t get to control my daily schedule much and I won’t be on the medical school campus but may have a small directorship. No ability to read CT or Vascular which I am trained in and only limited nuclear readings. Will be able to interact with fellows and residents during my echo reading day at the Med school. I have been told that I will be judged on the success of this new Clinic (new patients, patients going to the main campus for procedures etc)

Job 2: Private Practice at a Heart Hospital which has a very good reputation within the city and nationally. Call one weeknight a week (non invasive so don’t go in house) and one weekend in 5 (round on about 10-12 patients). We do not cover the ER so don’t have to worry about that. Have control on my schedule and my partners are easy going. Will be able to read CT, nuclear and vascular. They don’t have residents or fellows but are planning a fellowship program which I will likely be able to have a significant role in. Salary is ~ 70k more and after 3 years it’s a eat what you kill model. Ability to buy shares in the heart hospital if I choose.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance
Something is missing. I cant believe your advance imaging faculty and mentors would advise you even contemplating Job 1. The previous poster is right Job 1 is for someone approaching retirement who wants to cut back, not starting out. Every future eployer or partner will question your decision making ability if you take a job where you take on a bigger risk of starting a clinic, work longer for less $ with fewer skills just for the sake of no call. Cardiac hospitals are some of the nicest places to work and new grads rarely get a chance to join. Is there something you havent told about Job 2 that makes it bad, does Job 2 have a restrictive non-compete or is it an inner city job or does it have a bad insurance mix? Just my $0.02 but this is a very easy decision.

Something is missing. I cant believe your advance imaging faculty and mentors would advise you even contemplating Job 1. The previous poster is right Job 1 is for someone approaching retirement who wants to cut back, not starting out. Every future eployer or partner will question your decision making ability if you take a job where you take on a bigger risk of starting a clinic, work longer for less $ with fewer skills just for the sake of no call. Cardiac hospitals are some of the nicest places to work and new grads rarely get a chance to join. Is there something you havent told about Job 2 that makes it bad, does Job 2 have a restrictive non-compete or is it an inner city job or does it have a bad insurance mix? Just my $0.02 but this is a very easy decision.
Appreciate the thoughts, thanks, thoughts from others

It all depends on your interests and situation. Personally situation one will never work for me. Sounds like retirement position to me. Am the type who love to be in the trenches and need inpatient to keep my sanity. But for somebody who has pressing family needs (example: kid who needs lot of care/attention, wife who really needs you to not be on call for some reason), this might be a very good choice. Also if you just happen to love outpatient, it is still a good choice

Job 2. Better base salary is good, but bigger issue is autonomy and ultimately ownership in the practice (and hospital?) translates into freedom to practice how you want, as well as better earning potential long-term. Obviously it comes down to what you want, but for me, option 2 sounds much more attractive. And the schedule/call sound manageable from your description.