Job Hunt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hayduke

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 18 months to go, but am concerned about the job search. My place is a big academic house, and is very successful in placing folks in the teaching spots of their choice. I am community bound. While my PD is well connected, I am looking at some competitive community spots where he may not be that helpful. We have no prior grads in my desired area.
I was a little freaked that several of the seniors at my program had contracts in October of this year. That seems really early.

My questions for the seniors and new attendings on the forum;
1. When did you start looking?
2. When did you start contacting?
3. Did you use a recruiter?
4. Did anyone use the Katz company?
5. What was your greatest assist-ACEP, your program, EMRA, personal network?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

started looking and contacting spring of junior year. In my limited experience groups know whether or not they want/need to hire for the next year already.

No recruiter.

Personal network/knowledge of the area in which I wanted to live.

I have 18 months to go, but am concerned about the job search. My place is a big academic house, and is very successful in placing folks in the teaching spots of their choice. I am community bound. While my PD is well connected, I am looking at some competitive community spots where he may not be that helpful. We have no prior grads in my desired area.
I was a little freaked that several of the seniors at my program had contracts in October of this year. That seems really early.

My questions for the seniors and new attendings on the forum;
1. When did you start looking?
2. When did you start contacting?
3. Did you use a recruiter?
4. Did anyone use the Katz company?
5. What was your greatest assist-ACEP, your program, EMRA, personal network?
Thanks.

I started looking during 2nd yr I think some places know their need but many do not know them that early.

I contacted them right in the beginning of 3rd yr.

I did not use a recruiter and if I were you I wouldnt either.

My greatest assist was my residency network. All of our grads are given the option (and I think most do) of leaving their emails to our program coordinator. I then spoke with my PD and he gave me the names of people. I cold emailed them and found people to be incredibly nice and helpful.

I got an amazing community job.. Life's good.

one other thing.... if yiou know where you want to go.. just cold call them. I had friends who did that with much success. I know it is a scary time but the truth is there are more jobs than there are qualified people to take those jobs.