Job interview attire for a woman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annmarie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a job interview coming up for post-residency job. I don't have a suit. I was wondering if a black women's blazer with black pants and a nice blouse work for the interview or do I need to purchase a suit?

Members don't see this ad.

I think for our community program that would be perfectly acceptable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a job interview coming up for post-residency job. I don't have a suit. I was wondering if a black women's blazer with black pants and a nice blouse work for the interview or do I need to purchase a suit?

I wore black skinny jeans, blouse and a black pinstripe blazer to my first job interview after residency. My residency interview suit was out of state and I didn't have time to get it. No one cared. I got the job. You can also wear a professional dress with blazer over.

I wore black skinny jeans, blouse and a black pinstripe blazer to my first job interview after residency. My residency interview suit was out of state and I didn't have time to get it. No one cared. I got the job. You can also wear a professional dress with blazer over.
Thank you! This was helpful.

Nobody cares. I wouldn't ding a residency applicant for not wearing a suit either though.
I think it's just so ingrained in medical culture that residency interview = suit that nobody dares to buck the norm.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're interviewing at Mayo, wear a suit and make sure it's tailored well.

For a jobhunt like this, I absolutely think something like a blazer/blouse is appropriate. My wife has worn similar attire on interviews (also has worn suits) and both have gone well, just depends a bit on how formal the organization is. For many psychiatry positions I think professional, but not a black suit, might be preferable.

I wore a professional dark navy dress without a blazer and all went well. Most importantly you must: look clean, be well groomed and smell go - actually, I guess smelling good doesn't matter in the virtual world!

Last edited:
For better or worse I think men are held to a higher standard when it comes to more formal professional dress in these kinds of settings. For men, it would be a bit weird for you not to wear a full suit or, at a minimum, a blazer. For women, this doesn't seem to be the case. I think as long as you look professional the specifics don't matter too much.