Job interview attire for a woman

Started by annmarie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

annmarie

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a job interview coming up for post-residency job. I don't have a suit. I was wondering if a black women's blazer with black pants and a nice blouse work for the interview or do I need to purchase a suit?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a job interview coming up for post-residency job. I don't have a suit. I was wondering if a black women's blazer with black pants and a nice blouse work for the interview or do I need to purchase a suit?

I wore black skinny jeans, blouse and a black pinstripe blazer to my first job interview after residency. My residency interview suit was out of state and I didn't have time to get it. No one cared. I got the job. You can also wear a professional dress with blazer over.
 
I wore black skinny jeans, blouse and a black pinstripe blazer to my first job interview after residency. My residency interview suit was out of state and I didn't have time to get it. No one cared. I got the job. You can also wear a professional dress with blazer over.
Thank you! This was helpful.
 
If you're interviewing at Mayo, wear a suit and make sure it's tailored well.

For a jobhunt like this, I absolutely think something like a blazer/blouse is appropriate. My wife has worn similar attire on interviews (also has worn suits) and both have gone well, just depends a bit on how formal the organization is. For many psychiatry positions I think professional, but not a black suit, might be preferable.
 
I wore a professional dark navy dress without a blazer and all went well. Most importantly you must: look clean, be well groomed and smell go - actually, I guess smelling good doesn't matter in the virtual world!
 
Last edited:
For better or worse I think men are held to a higher standard when it comes to more formal professional dress in these kinds of settings. For men, it would be a bit weird for you not to wear a full suit or, at a minimum, a blazer. For women, this doesn't seem to be the case. I think as long as you look professional the specifics don't matter too much.