Job interview: dress code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maverikk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the job interview trail, mostly private practice. A few places have dinner the night before and then visit different clinical sites the next day. I was planning on a suit for the clinical sites, what about the dinner? Another suit? Dress pants/shirt+tie OK?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
On the job interview trail, mostly private practice. A few places have dinner the night before and then visit different clinical sites the next day. I was planning on a suit for the clinical sites, what about the dinner? Another suit? Dress pants/shirt+tie OK?

Only went on one interview dinner before I got an offer I accepted. But in that dinner I just wore my suit from the a.m. without the tie. But the interviewers/current anesthesiologists wore a wide range (polo, dress shirt without tie, dress shirt with tie. I was the only one with a suit). But I like to err on being over prepared as a candidate. So if I had to do another dinner I would still do suit without tie or blazer/sport jacket and dress shirt & pants. You can always take off the jacket after being seated.

Only went on one interview dinner before I got an offer I accepted. But in that dinner I just wore my suit from the a.m. without the tie. But the interviewers/current anesthesiologists wore a wide range (polo, dress shirt without tie, dress shirt with tie. I was the only one with a suit). But I like to err on being over prepared as a candidate. So if I had to do another dinner I would still do suit without tie or blazer/sport jacket and dress shirt & pants. You can always take off the jacket after being seated. And if you want to wear a tie you can always wear it in. If no one else is wearing a tie I guess you can always go to restroom and take it off.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also say pay attention where they are taking you as well. If its upper tier steak house then you know the minimum requirement even if it wasn't an interview would be business cas. I would say lowest I would go at a dinner would be dress shirt, jacket and dress pants and no tie. To play safe where the full gear both to interview and dinner.

If a place is asking you to dress comfortably as you'll be wearing scrubs and interviewing in the OR, what will you be wearing. Obviously, cutoff jeans and sandals may be taking it a bit far, but what is expected?

If a place is asking you to dress comfortably as you'll be wearing scrubs and interviewing in the OR, what will you be wearing. Obviously, cutoff jeans and sandals may be taking it a bit far, but what is expected?

As was said above, you can't really be faulted for showing up looking classy. I had a couple interviews where I changed into scrubs, still showed up wearing a suit. Someone from the group will meet you to hand you the scrubs and show you where to change. If that person sees that you dressed too casually or if you look sloppy in general, that could reflect poorly on your prospects.

I might interpret "dress comfortably" to mean maybe bring a second pair of more comfortable shoes to walk around the OR's all day in. This might have slightly more application to women who have a wider range of fashion options and some seriously uncomfortable formal shoes that they might otherwise wear.

I thought I didn’t really care about what people showed up to the hospital wearing for their interviews. Then, a CRNA candidate showed up in yoga pants and a sweatshirt. No matter how the interview went, I couldn’t forget how unprofessional that seemed. It made me concerned for how she would present herself later on, if that was her idea of how to make a first impression. I suspect I would uncover even more of my prejudices if it was an MD candidate.

Dress at a minimum in nicely matched business casual, and on the other end you will never be downgraded for overdressing for the interview. Of the past 10 interviews for MDs that I have done, only 1 has not worn a suit/sport coat. I can’t remember how many wore ties, but would guess a little over half.

The dinner, just aim for what would likely be the nice end of dress to be seen at whatever restaurant they pick.

Last edited:
It baffles me how this thread shows up every couple months. I don't understand how people can be so confused as to how to dress for an interview.

Err on the side of being conservative and use your best judgment. Don't show up looking like a slob and you should be fine.

Can never go wrong looking as good as you can. I always wore a suit for interviews (even if they told me not to). Then wear a different suit for dinner or some GQ stylish action for dinner. Can’t go wrong over dressing.

It baffles me how this thread shows up every couple months. I don't understand how people can be so confused as to how to dress for an interview.

Err on the side of being conservative and use your best judgment. Don't show up looking like a slob and you should be fine.

My question really should have just boiled down to the suit jacket. Flying in and out of a cold places for interviews this time of year is not logistically the most simple, the less creases (and less times I have to press my suit) the better.

The problem was they upfront said 'dress comfortably', which can mean many different things. And there are ways to look professional (I could see someone thinking very dark jeans with dress shoes and a tucked polo in very hot weather being reasonable) without wearing a suit.

Dress as if.....
Dress as if what, I'm going to work? Dress for the job I want? Well, neither are appropriate for interviews in my opinion.

My question really should have just boiled down to the suit jacket. Flying in and out of a cold places for interviews this time of year is not logistically the most simple, the less creases (and less times I have to press my suit) the better.

The problem was they upfront said 'dress comfortably', which can mean many different things. And there are ways to look professional (I could see someone thinking very dark jeans with dress shoes and a tucked polo in very hot weather being reasonable) without wearing a suit.

Dress as if what, I'm going to work? Dress for the job I want? Well, neither are appropriate for interviews in my opinion.

Dress as if you want to the job or if you just don't give a bleep and just want a free dinner. It's up to you. How did you dress for residency interviews? Why is this different? How much pride do you you have in yourself? How much pride do you have as an anesthesiologists and for the field itself? All are questions that are answered by something so little as how you dress for the interview. It can be the difference between you and another candidate.

Dress as if you want to the job or if you just don't give a bleep and just want a free dinner. It's up to you. How did you dress for residency interviews? Why is this different? How much pride do you you have in yourself? How much pride do you have as an anesthesiologists and for the field itself? All are questions that are answered by something so little as how you dress for the interview. It can be the difference between you and another candidate.

I get that, I guess the whole 'Dress Comfortably' was just an oddly specific statement to send out to to interviewees. I wasn't planning on showing up on jeans. But, even if that statement wasn't made, on can still take it too far in the formality department. And I get it Different places have different vibes and expectations.

I thought I didn’t really care about what people showed up to the hospital wearing for their interviews. Then, a CRNA candidate showed up in yoga pants and a sweatshirt. No matter how the interview went, I couldn’t forget how unprofessional that seemed. It made me concerned for how she would present herself later on, if that was her idea of how to make a first impression. I suspect I would uncover even more of my prejudices if it was an MD candidate.

Dress at a minimum in nicely matched business casual, and on the other end you will never be downgraded for overdressing for the interview. Of the past 10 interviews for MDs that I have done, only 1 has not worn a suit/sport coat. I can’t remember how many wore ties, but would guess a little over half.

The dinner, just aim for what would likely be the nice end of dress to be seen at whatever restaurant they pick.

Wow. It is incredible that people make
it through professional education and show up in yoga pants and a sweatshirt for a job interview.

Sounds like an instahire to me depending on bmi

Reactions: 2 users
Wow. It is incredible that people make
it through professional education and show up in yoga pants and a sweatshirt for a job interview.
Was it Jen Selter? because if so that changes my answer. i'll let you guys google