Frank Rizzo

10+ Year Member
May 13, 2005
Status (Visible)
I finish residency in 7 months (who's counting?) and have a couple of interviews the week after Thanksgiving for some PP groups in town. Besides the usual questions, what are some good ones to ask? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated also!

2ndyear

15+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2002
New England
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
How you get paid (eat what you kill or otherwise). Hospital employed vs. private group. How long the contract has been in place if private. How good is the relationship is with the hospital. Time to partner, criteria to make partner, all of the partners equal, etc. Anyone left the group recently, if so why. What benefits are offered, try to get an idea of what else you'll need. That can make a big difference in take home pay if you're paying your own health/disability/malpractice.

Do some google work on the hospitals too. A little research can go a long way. Plenty of community hospitals are struggling right now around here. Try to find a way to ask how much the group is getting in hospital subsidy money.

What kinds of cases you'll be doing, any subspecialty teams (peds, cardiac, or does everyone do everything). How much OB- that's the killer- and how much of it is high risk. What other duties outside of the OR you'll be expected to do- central lines, LP's, ICU management, pain consults.

Frank Rizzo

10+ Year Member
May 13, 2005
Status (Visible)
Thanks for the input 2ndyear. I know this isn't a very interesting question, but my program, just like most programs, doesn't do all that much to provide us with info about the business side of our profession.

About the Ads

ncdoc1974

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
In addition to the advice above, I would make an effort to meet and interact with the surgeons...Find a group where the surgeons and anesthesiologists get along...I am in an MD only practice...I spend 8 hours a day talking to the surgeons and 5 minutes talking to my partners...Although my partners are great, I hardly ever interact with them at the hospital...I am with the surgeons all of the time in the OR...If we did not get along so well, I think I would be miserable....instead I am very content...Of note, when I interviewed with the group I am currently with, all of the surgeons made a point of meeting me when I interviewed...They spoke fondly of the anesthesiologists...Many of the other groups I interviewed with the surgeons would not even make eye contact with me...think about it....Don't worry so much about the money etc...it will be there...instead worry about the relationships that will impact your happiness over the next 30 years.

Frank Rizzo

10+ Year Member
May 13, 2005
Status (Visible)
In addition to the advice above, I would make an effort to meet and interact with the surgeons...Find a group where the surgeons and anesthesiologists get along...I am in an MD only practice...I spend 8 hours a day talking to the surgeons and 5 minutes talking to my partners...Although my partners are great, I hardly ever interact with them at the hospital...I am with the surgeons all of the time in the OR...If we did not get along so well, I think I would be miserable....instead I am very content...Of note, when I interviewed with the group I am currently with, all of the surgeons made a point of meeting me when I interviewed...They spoke fondly of the anesthesiologists...Many of the other groups I interviewed with the surgeons would not even make eye contact with me...think about it....Don't worry so much about the money etc...it will be there...instead worry about the relationships that will impact your happiness over the next 30 years.

Definitely a very important point to consider. Good relationships are key! Thanks for the input!

Frank Rizzo

10+ Year Member
May 13, 2005
Status (Visible)
The couple of interviews I had this week seemed to go well. I find it interesting what some groups tell you up front and what others don't. Some groups weren't too open with questions about past partners/people leaving the group. Talk about red flags! We shall see.

Thanks for the help!

ncdoc1974

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I would look for groups who are as transparent as possible...Good groups should "open their books" to you...they should let you know who is getting paid what and why and where all the money is going...If this information is not volunteered, ask to see it...If they won't share the info with you, you do not want to be with them...I actually got up halfway through an interview and walked out because I was being stonewalled...best decision I ever made.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.