Job Interviews, Deferrment? questions questions and more

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoal

Oinker!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey this is a toughie. But I have an interview coming for a well paying, high position Job most likely. Do I tell them I may be going to medical school in August with the risk of not getting hired or losing substantial income/position? What is ethical here? I would like to to take a year off from school - in this situation. I graduate this semester, and am applying this cycle. I would like to defer any acceptances, I really really want to be a doctor. But a year off would let me get things under wraps, make a little money which I could use to pay for stuff in medical school. Plus it wouldn't hurt my job prospect or integrity. How easy is it to get a deferment? and what kind of success rate is there doing this?

Is it bad to leave a job after 7 months? What would you do?

Thanks-

Members don't see this ad.

Don't tell them. Corporations can fire you anytime they want, without worrying about ethics. Just make sure you give them a good notice before leaving. You're not obligated to stay at any job unless there is a contract.

Good advice. That is exactly what I was thinking. But I am soo not heartless and attempt to be ethical. Depending on the position offered and resonbilities it may be difficult.

Thanks for the input any more anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
shoal said:
Depending on the position offered and resonbilities it may be difficult.

Just wanted to add that yeah, if the position is, for instance, project based and the project depends on you or if there's long and expensive training involved, it's a little different.

shoal said:
Good advice. That is exactly what I was thinking. But I am soo not heartless and attempt to be ethical. Depending on the position offered and resonbilities it may be difficult.

Thanks for the input any more anyone?

Yeah. I had a similar situation. I got a job knowing that I was applying and had the chance of being accepted to grad schools. The company told me upfront that they wanted to make sure I was going to stay there for at least the next six months. No contract or anything, just a commitment. I felt uneasy about the situation and sought advice from friends and family. All of my college and pre-med friends told me it was unethical to take the job: it would be putting the company in a bad situation. Meanwhile, a parent of mine who is involved in corporate business laughed and said, "You're funny, do you really think you are that indispensible? Did you get a commitment FROM THEM that they will pay you for six months no questions asked?". The point was taken. I took the job and got into grad school three months later. When I told my boss I was leaving for grad school he smiled and said, "Congrats, thank you for your time, good luck."

The lesson I learned: companies are created so nobody is necessary. In your situation ethical idealism is a nice thought, but there are always ten other people who can do your job.

Take the job, tell them later, WHEN and IF you get in.
(I just wanted to throw a disclaimer in that this advice would only apply to corporate businesses. A small "mom and pop" store would be different. However, looking at your profile/major area of study, I doubt this applies.)

You are correct!

THANKS! This is exactly what I'll do then.

I have an entirely new problem. After not hearing back from schools for a long duration, I decided choosing the career path was a better option. This caused me to move out of my state of residency and begin a job (on Jan 22). They have paid for relocation costs and in my contract is a one year commitment to the company. I cannot afford to leave since relocation costs are staggering. Is this an acceptable reason for deferment? The job is medical related. The admission director called with the acceptance and I figured it was better to hold on these questions before I get opinions. It would be possible for me to move back with a significant loss ($6000) or so.

My stastical analysis was incorrect on the delay for an acceptance. To top things off, I was offered a job in the same state with similar pay, and declined due to better career opportunities. But I really want to become a doc!

AHHHH

Getting into med school is difficult. it doesn't matter if you have a 4.0 and a 38+ MCAT. now I don't know what your stats are like but if I were you I'd go to med school... If you really want a deferment then talk to the school (by the way where did you get in? contrats!) then based on what they tell you make your decision. If you can't defer then talk to the co. lose some money and four years from you can walk across the stage with your long white coat or be working at the same company while reapplying. Seriously, just go to med school. if this is what you've always wanted. Good luck to you.

I think you are worrying too much. Most likely if you explain your situation and that this job would give you the opportunity to save a little, the school will give you a deferment. If it doesn't you have no other choice (in my opinion), but to move back and start school in August.

Actually, if I could play devil's advocate and IMHO, if you're young and have never worked full-time before, so a deferment might not be a bad idea. Trust me on this one, when I was volunteering and shadowing residents, everyone who worked for 1 year after college before starting med school really appreciated getting a year off.

corporate loyalty at most companies no longer exists... it's none of their business what you're doing.. go for the job and if you need to quit, then quit.

if you can get a deferment, i'd go for it assuming it's a good job, pays wells, etc, which it sounds like it is. a short break from school's a good thing -- it's refreshing, gives you new perspective, and, yeah, you can make some money. i don't think there's any harm in asking to defer for a year.

medworm said:
Actually, if I could play devil's advocate and IMHO, if you're young and have never worked full-time before, so a deferment might not be a bad idea. Trust me on this one, when I was volunteering and shadowing residents, everyone who worked for 1 year after college before starting med school really appreciated getting a year off.

I completely agree with the year off angle. It's wonderful to have a break for a year without having to worry about school. And now since you're making money instead of spending it on undergrad education, you can do/buy all sorts of stuff that you could have only dreamed of while you were in school.

Also, on the job topic: I have an engineering background, and was in a similar situation - I could either leave out any mention of my med school plans and get an interesting high-paying job, or mention them and be most likely stuck with a boring low-paying temp-type job. As with the other people on here, I agree that you gotta put loyalty to yourself and your own interests as the top priority in business. :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for the post. At what point should I ask for a deferrment? Should I accept the offer, put in my deposit, request a written deferment listing and explaining the situation?

Or is one better off to speak with the dean before the official written deferment request?

I hope they wouldn't reject my deferment request, but if they do, I guess it'll just cost me an additional $10k to go to medschool.

I agree with the general consensus on this forum. If the job is good, the pay is good, still young, and no previous work experience, it only makes sense to defer. It shouldn't hurt right? Plenty of time to be in medical school.

Just hopefully the school understands this.

Hopefully someone has some opinions on the most successful approach to deferment fullfillment.

shoal said:
Hopefully someone has some opinions on the most successful approach to deferment fullfillment.
Schools are generally very supportive of deferment. After all, if you do something amazing in your year off, it only makes them look better when you become a member of their class. The key to deferment is that they want to see that you are doing something productive in the year off - even better if it is reserach or medically related. From reading your previous posts, you seem solid in this regard. As far as talking to the dean first, my take is that you can always take care of things like this better in person. It's much easier for people to be dicks when all you are to them is a name on an application, but when you actually go and talk to someone about it face-to-face (whether it be asking about shadowing a doc, applying for a job, seeking deferment, etc.) and start a personal relationship, people generally seem much more receptive. Best of luck!