Job market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.anesthesia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Job market seems very tough right now.... Anyone else out there looking finding it the same?

Members don't see this ad.

I spoke with a CA-3 at my middle-tier program last week, and he had just signed a job he was very happy with after interviewing with a number of groups across the country. n=1, but...

Members don't see this ad :)
Job market is bad and getting worse.

Just like last year, all of our fellows had several interviews and accepted offers they were happy with, several in tight desirable markets. The only one that isn't done is off cycle and still interviewing.
I was also approached by people that I knew at the recent peds meeting trying to lure me away to join them. Good jobs, and not in horrible locations, but not where I would want to raise my family.
Good jobs are out there, but you are going to have to go find them. Work your connections and those of your program(s), call around yourself, and be open to some geographic diversity in your search, and you should find something you want.

The jobs are still out there, what those jobs entail is just changing. As mega AMCs slowly gobble up private practices, there are fewer and fewer PP partnership spots available. There are still 3 types of jobs out there.

1) Academic spots. These haven't changed at all, nor has the market for them.
2) PP partnership spots. These are shrinking by the year.
3) AMC or PP employed spots. These are growing by the year.

Reactions: 1 user
It's all because of payer Mix and volume.

Amc and insurers are all on the same page. Insurers reward larger practices by giving then higher reimbursements based on volume. It's no secret.

Again single payer is about the only way to kill off the amc. But single payer based on say German physician pay would be disastrous. But single pay based on say Canadian single payer would be fair.

Regardless the fat cat's are all selling out cause they know their gigs (making money off junior attending and crabs) are coming to a quick end.