Job Market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pathoguru

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I asked two attending pathologists (who have been friends with me for a while) about the pathology job market. Their answer: the job market is "pretty good", especially for Hematology, Dermatopathology, and GI pathology. Just to throw it out there.

Pathoguru

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Duck! This one could get ugly.

All of our fellows for the past 3 years have jobs and most have\had more than one offer. All of our residents had fellowship offers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a few questions and thought.

Anyone know anything about the GI pathology market?

I'm a 3rd year resident and was wondering about the future of hot fellowships. I think in the future reimbursement for Derm, GI and GU biopsies will get axed (88305). What does everyone think about the future of these fields?

Even if reimbursement goes down, the specimens aren't going to go away. Compensation would go down, which based on normal human behavior would mean fewer people would go into these fields. I would not base your career decisions on what the "hot" fields are currently or what you think they might be. That is a setup for landing yourself in a career you don't like which becomes doubly unpleasant if the "hotness" doesn't materialize like you thought. The "hottest" fellowship is the one where a resident learns to communicate and not to be an arrogant ****. But those fellowships are rarely completed.

I don't know any unemployed GI fellows. I'm sure path24 does. Some had to travel a bit to get a job that had the characteristics they wanted, like only doing GI path. I'm sure some took jobs that others wouldn't take like working for an in office lab or a reference lab. But there are a lot of GI path reference labs out there. The job market is much better, from what I hear, for GI fellows who train at good academic centers, than for those who do a "fellowship" at a reference lab.