Job offer - feedback greatly appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ka6767

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received and probably will accept a job offer from a large hospital system in the southeast to work in a large city.

This system is partnering with non-profits to open several community clinics to serve the underserved. It'll be 100% out-patient and my salary will be 50% tile of MGMA as long as I work in one of the community clinics - pay will not be based on production.

Offer is $220K for 4 1/2 day week, no nights or weekends, 20 days PTO Year 1 increasing to 35 days PTO by Year 4 plus full benefits.

The offer seems excellent because this city/state is highly sought after by physicians from what I'm told by several recruiters.

Do these hospital systems normally offer sign on bonus? I'd also like to negotiate full pay for a 4 day week rather than 4 1/2 day week.

Members don't see this ad.

Many hospitals will offer some sort of sign on bonus, though how it is offered is a devil in the details. Like for instance, they tell you they offer you the base salary of “X” with an annual bonus of “Y”... which is just a way of splitting the actual salary into 2 parts to make it seem like they are doing you a favor, but it is really just one salary. Additionally, the bonus may be because they don’t cover travel/moving expenses or cover tail end malpractice coverage or give you money to pay for Cobra if your insurance lapses. Anyway, the same goes for the 4 day work week. You can ask for whatever, and they can say no to whatever. But the bottom line is it never hurts to ask. Just don’t be too demanding or stubborn because if someone else is willing to do the same work for less, they will take the cheaper offer (depending on how desperate they are to fill the position).

It'll be 100% out-patient and my salary will be 50% tile of MGMA as long as I work in one of the community clinics - pay will not be based on production.

Certainly they will have certain expectations (# of pts per day, or similar) of your productivity, even if they are not counting RVUs or billing. How much to you need to work each day?

Offer is $220K for 4 1/2 day week, no nights or weekends, 20 days PTO Year 1 increasing to 35 days PTO by Year 4 plus full benefits.
Which days are PTO days? Do holidays when the clinic are closed count? How about CME? If you get 20 days off, and New Years, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas plus 3 days you take for CME are all "PTO" then your 20 starts to look more like 11.

The offer seems excellent because this city/state is highly sought after by physicians from what I'm told by several recruiters.
Only matters if YOU want to live there. A highly sought out location that you are indifferent about is not highly sought after FOR YOU.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received and probably will accept a job offer from a large hospital system in the southeast to work in a large city.

This system is partnering with non-profits to open several community clinics to serve the underserved. It'll be 100% out-patient and my salary will be 50% tile of MGMA as long as I work in one of the community clinics - pay will not be based on production.

Do these hospital systems normally offer sign on bonus? I'd also like to negotiate full pay for a 4 day week rather than 4 1/2 day week.

Sounds very similar to my area. Also large southeast academic hospital in highly sought after city. I was told the offer is what it is, no negotiation. I countered with a 10k signing bonus and they accepted, but I was happy with the pay and hours. If it's really desirable hospital, I doubt getting full pay for a 4 day work week vs 4.5. A lot of large hospitals now have a base salary (X) for 1.0 amount of time. By offering you X salary for 0.89, they would face the potential of having to increase the salary for others being offered a job. I suspect you could counter with a similar percent pay cut (196k) if working 4 vs 4.5 days was a big deal.

However, you never know unless you try. You could go for it, if they say no, you have several other possible counters.

Just a couple other odds and ends to look into. What's the malpractice type and will you have tail? Also what do the retirement benefits look like? That's huge.

Thank you all for your feedback.

I should have clarified that I already live in the city where the offer was made.

The PTO includes vacation, sick and CME days - 20 YR1, 25 YR 2, 30 YR 3, 35 YR 4. I get an additional 7 paid holidays.