Job offers after fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chanx314

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some of the best salary/benefits gastroenterology positions(private practice or academic) have you seen offered to people after they completed their fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

i have heard /seen some official website reported GI fellowship , about 20%, have hard time to find a job. Is that true?? :mad:

"Official" website? Unless it's the website of American College of Gastroenterology or the likes, how "official" could it have been?

Members don't see this ad :)
I do research for a GI group. According to the CEO, there are about 3 jobs available for every GI fellow graduating. If graduating fellows cannot find a job it is because they have chosen to stay in a saturated market...there should be plenty of jobs paying high $$ out there. There is a good reason why GI has become arguably the most competitive fellowship post IM residency.

I saw that from a ACP website page. It also said PCP and smoe other subspecialty like nephrologist are much easier to find a job, also Pathologists, about 25% of them have to do subspecialty to find a job, so I thought there are some merits to this report.

lonelywolf said:
i have heard /seen some official website reported GI fellowship , about 20%, have hard time to find a job. Is that true?? :mad:

I don't know which "offical site" you looked at but it's all worng. Which website was that? Can you post the address?

I heard from a recent GI national meeting that there is a big shortage of GI people. Each year, there are about 20 vacant jobs for each fellow graduating nationally. The job market will remain excellent for many years.

GI is rapidly evolving. You can pretty much get jobs wherever you want to live. You often get love calls from local GI or national GI recruiting agents in the second year of fellowship. By the biginning/middle of the third years, you have a number of jobs lined up for you. You just have to be picky.

Yes. The salary is great. Their work and call schedules are "very flexible" and "fantastic" (much beter than some of the other IM subspecialities). It you go to smaller cities, you will get higher $$$. GI gets paid better than non-interventional cardiologists.

Overall I think the GI job market is still really good (per recent GI fellowship graduates and current 3rd year fellows)

There are saturated markets- I think most fellowship graduates would have a hard time finding a job in nice cities like LA/San Diego/San Fran/NY/Chicago.

If you are willing to work in smaller, less appealing communities there will be more than enough work, and you can make really good money. Crypt

Crypt Abscess said:
Overall I think the GI job market is still really good (per recent GI fellowship graduates and current 3rd year fellows)

There are saturated markets- I think most fellowship graduates would have a hard time finding a job in nice cities like LA/San Diego/San Fran/NY/Chicago.

If you are willing to work in smaller, less appealing communities there will be more than enough work, and you can make really good money. Crypt

Saturated markets are tough on anyone including cardiologists. The problem is that fellows are unreasonable. They will get an offer for 500K in the midwest and then expect something comparable in San Diego. That just doesn't work. Jobs exist in saturated markets albeit at a price. If you are willing to accept less money, you can easily find a position. But it's not true that positions don't exist in saturated markets. So fellows will say there are no jobs in California. What they meant to say was there were no jobs in California that they were remotely interested in. You can work for Kaiser if you were willing to do so but for many fellows, that's not an option. Yes finding a decent private group is difficult to find in saturated markets.

I will acknowledge that the cardiology job market is better simply because there is a greater need for cardiologists than GI. However, the demand for GI is incredible. Screens are now basic unlike 20 years ago so there is a huge demand for GI services. And it's true that GI earn more than non-interventional cardiologists. Sure, you will never have that 1 million earning capablity that interventional cardiologists have which is why I think cardiology is still very popular with residents.

Hi,

I've been hearing a lot of conflicting stories form practicing GI's about the lifestyle and overall satisfaction of their jobs and I was hoping someone could shed more light on the subject for me.
I was talking to a practicing GI in southern Cali,and he was telling me that the insurance companies are really cutting down (and will be continuing to do so) on the compensation for endoscopies, colonoscopies (i.e. all the way down to $150 and $400 respectively), etc. to the point where he is forced to work about 10-11 hours a day to make a decent living. Also, he claims that even afer practiicng for 25 years, it's difficult for him to find patients all the time and that he still needs to go around from different hospital to hospital ER's at times to get new patients- My question is, is this the norm, or is it simply because he's in a saturated market?

Also, how good can the lifestlye of a GI be out in private practice? Do you have to be prepared to work 10 hours + days for the good majority of your life, or is it more that you need to work your tail off for the first 5 years or so to build up your name, and then you have the option of doing mostly outpatient procedures and clinics, and not so much inpatient work?

Thanks

novacek88 said:
Saturated markets are tough on anyone including cardiologists. The problem is that fellows are unreasonable. They will get an offer for 500K in the midwest and then expect something comparable in San Diego. That just doesn't work. Jobs exist in saturated markets albeit at a price. If you are willing to accept less money, you can easily find a position. But it's not true that positions don't exist in saturated markets. So fellows will say there are no jobs in California. What they meant to say was there were no jobs in California that they were remotely interested in. You can work for Kaiser if you were willing to do so but for many fellows, that's not an option. Yes finding a decent private group is difficult to find in saturated markets.

I will acknowledge that the cardiology job market is better simply because there is a greater need for cardiologists than GI. However, the demand for GI is incredible. Screens are now basic unlike 20 years ago so there is a huge demand for GI services. And it's true that GI earn more than non-interventional cardiologists. Sure, you will never have that 1 million earning capablity that interventional cardiologists have which is why I think cardiology is still very popular with residents.

miamimd07 said:
Hi,

I've been hearing a lot of conflicting stories form practicing GI's about the lifestyle and overall satisfaction of their jobs and I was hoping someone could shed more light on the subject for me.
I was talking to a practicing GI in southern Cali,and he was telling me that the insurance companies are really cutting down (and will be continuing to do so) on the compensation for endoscopies, colonoscopies (i.e. all the way down to $150 and $400 respectively), etc. to the point where he is forced to work about 10-11 hours a day to make a decent living. Also, he claims that even afer practiicng for 25 years, it's difficult for him to find patients all the time and that he still needs to go around from different hospital to hospital ER's at times to get new patients- My question is, is this the norm, or is it simply because he's in a saturated market?

Also, how good can the lifestlye of a GI be out in private practice? Do you have to be prepared to work 10 hours + days for the good majority of your life, or is it more that you need to work your tail off for the first 5 years or so to build up your name, and then you have the option of doing mostly outpatient procedures and clinics, and not so much inpatient work?

Thanks

It's true, GI isn't the field it once was just last year. Pretty soon, nurse endoscopists will perform most of the procedures and GI's average salary will fall by nearly 200K in the next 3 years. A lot of GI's will be forced to practicing general IM in hope of earning a decent living. Many GI's have to work on Sundays just to make ends meet. And most GI's have to move to South Dakota because they can't find jobs.

A friend went to med school at AUC, went to a bottom of the barrel IM residency program and somehow landed a GI fellowship. Overall not very prestigious in terms of publications, knowing movers and shakers, etc...

His first job offer was a private practice position for 5 days a wk, 2 days every 5th weekend, 6 weeks minimum vacation and starting salary of 300K + incentives in a medium sized midwest town.

novacek88 said:
It's true, GI isn't the field it once was just last year. Pretty soon, nurse endoscopists will perform most of the procedures and GI's average salary will fall by nearly 200K in the next 3 years. A lot of GI's will be forced to practicing general IM in hope of earning a decent living. Many GI's have to work on Sundays just to make ends meet. And most GI's have to move to South Dakota because they can't find jobs.

I don't know who you talked to but I am tired of hearing such nonsense. Nurses nor PA will never be credentialed to perform any of the above procedures. If you are a RN or other non-GI physicians who perforated colon or esophagus during the procedure, you, not only you but also your hospital that endorsed such previlage will also be liable for a medical malpractice. Your hypotherical situation might be possible in other countries (India, China, etc). Check out ASGE (American society of gastrointestinal society) website (under credential info) and you will find out how badly the individuals and the hospitals had to pay their dues in such cases. Almost all such cases I know of were lost.

I don't know who you talked to but I am tired of hearing such nonsense. Nurses nor PA will never be credentialed to perform any of the above procedures. If you are a RN or other non-GI physicians who perforated colon or esophagus during the procedure, you, not only you but also your hospital that endorsed such previlage will also be liable for a medical malpractice. Your hypotherical situation might be possible in other countries (India, China, etc). Check out ASGE (American society of gastrointestinal society) website (under credential info) and you will find out how badly the individuals and the hospitals had to pay their dues in such cases. Almost all such cases I know of were lost.

I was being sarcastic. I will be a GI fellow. It's just that I feel there is no need to dignify a response with a real answer. People say a lot of stupid things. I spoke with a dermatologist friend this past weekend. He was arguing that GI grads have better prospects than cardiology grads. He even went as far as saying cardiology grads were not getting great starting offers and that cardiology is saturated. GI is amazing but cardiology is ranked either 1 or 2 in regards to demand. The problem is people state their opinion based on their personal account as opposed to facts. The dermatologist made his statements based on his GI friends getting better offers than his cardiology friends in a small yet trendy city in the south. I'm secure enough with GI being an amazing field that I can admit cardiologists are in more demand but Gi is in great demand as well. If someone is serious about GI, I'm assuming they will research the facts for themselves as opposed to listening to some horror story on SDN. The next think you know someone will argue how dermatology has trouble filling it's spots in the match. You never know, people say some ridiculous things.

yes, and i've heard that all those aliens that had to evacuate Pluto will be doing your endoscopies from now on.

I am new to the forum, but I would like to step in here and correct a misconception. There are a number of PA's/NP's/RN's that are currently doing endoscopies. Most work in facilities that are exempt from liability such as VA or in private facilities that don't have to worry about credentialling. As far as a hospital that endorsed such a privlege, that is the job of the medical staff not the hospital. There are hospitals that credential PA's to do endoscopy without problem. In most metropolitan areas mid-levels cannot do endoscopy due to rules set up to keep FP's from doing endoscopy. In the hinterland it is a different story.