Job outlook for non-invasive vs IC (along with other questions)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Missouriman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm trying to get a better idea about the job outlook in the mid-atlantic and southeast regions as it relates to both non-invasive and IC. How has the non-academic market looked for both, especially in the suburbs of the bigger cities in those areas (Charlotte, ATL, Nashville, Washington DC) over the past several years? Have you noticed a general positive trend in one field or the other? How are the starting salaries and the 75th percentile / peak salaries (earning potential) later in career between the two? Has there been decreasing reimubursement for various cath/procedures? Have you noticed a positive trend in increasing reimbursement for non-invasive imaging like echo, nuc, and CTA?

As I get closer to making the decision, I am trying to look at all variables outside my particular interests to make sure I am making the right decision here. I am generally trying to understand the job market, reimbursement trends within each field, and earning potential.

Members don't see this ad.

Spoke to one of the senior fellows who is looking for job in those areas. From what I hear, partners in PP (whether it’s non invasive, IC or EP) all share profits equally once made partner however the base salary for non invasive will be 50-70k less. This is purely financial difference, obviously call structure will be different too. This made me wonder if IC is still worthwhile esp if you are on the fence.

Generally speaking interventional cardiology doesn’t give you the return on your dollar for the extra 1 to 2 years of training, and especially for the additional call when currently compared to general cardiology. In many jobs you do everything that a general cardiologist does, Plus the additional interventional responsibilities often times for only a 5 to 15% increase in salary at most.

However with that said this is still very variable. Some interventional positions are more protected than others where are you are not doing as much of the Mundane clinical stuff. Also some positions allow a higher ceiling with interventional that potential he could make it worth it.

The other component is job security where there is a theoretical risk of a aPP invasion Within the general realm Which doesn’t quite exist with an interventional job.However the counter to that as you are more at risk of losing your job as an interventional list due to the high pressure environment in the Cath Lab, as well as the higher risk procedures where outcomes can be used against you.

With that said, the job market for both are still strong and likely will remain that way with income levels stable to increasing on an annual basis for the last 10 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure about that specific region but gen cards typically has a stronger job market. Making plans based on future salary and reimbursement is futile. How much money do you want to make? IC can do everything gen cards can do and likely the ceiling will be higher. Most interventional folks I know, outside of large centers, are reading their own echos, nucs, seeing gen cards patients, etc. Medaxiom has an annual survey that can be a good reference point.

Gen/HF are in highest demand. EP and IC are more limited, with IC generally being more in demand than EP,. I've heard the job market for structural IC sucks though.