Job Placement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChamaeleonSky

a conflicted chameleon
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know any information about how many graduates actually get the jobs/residencies they want? Or even summer internships. I've seen info for a few schools, but I can't find anything for Illinois (which worries me). Is there a resource that can give averages on that info?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know any information about how many graduates actually get the jobs/residencies they want? Or even summer internships. I've seen info for a few schools, but I can't find anything for Illinois (which worries me). Is there a resource that can give averages on that info?

I was under the impression that data was available for students going through the match program (majority of internships/residencies).

As for just "job of preference" or summer internships... that's going to be a lot harder to quantify, I think.

Maybe Bill or someone more knowledgable about the match can give better info.

Most people who want an internship get one. They may not get one of their top choices.

Many people who want residencies will eventually get one. However, this varies a lot depending on the specialty and a lot of times people have to do 2 internships and sometimes 5 internships before matching.

The job market is bad for all areas of vet med right now and it seems to be getting worse due to the economy and oversupply of new vets (most schools have increased their class sizes and there are new vet schools opening etc). Even specialty practice is saturated because residents are cheaper than faculty members.

Members don't see this ad :)
this might be a stupid question, but does where you go to school have an effect on your ability to get a job /internship / residencey other then geographically?

The match rates this year for programs in the VIRMP were 57% for intern applicants and 29% for resident applicants.

Some applicants were able to get a position after the match, but I don't know of any numbers on that. And some residencies don't go through the match.

does where you go to school have an effect on your ability to get a job /internship / residencey other then geographically?

Not really, provided it's an AVMA-accredited school. There are some places that have their favorites, for example one practice may like to hire University X graduates because they're had good experiences but overall I don't think it makes much difference.

Most people who want an internship get one. They may not get one of their top choices.

The match rates this year for programs in the VIRMP were 57% for intern applicants and 29% for resident applicants.

Of the people in my class who applied for internships, about 1/3 didn't get one. Mostly it was those who applied for the rotating small animal surgery/medicine positions. So now they're looking for jobs like the rest of us, who aren't that successful either. For those of us job hunting, I'd say 20% have definite accepted job offers-and graduation is 3 months away. Many of us are interviewing for and competing for the same open positions, which kinda sucks.

Of the people in my class who applied for internships, about 1/3 didn't get one. Mostly it was those who applied for the rotating small animal surgery/medicine positions. So now they're looking for jobs like the rest of us, who aren't that successful either. For those of us job hunting, I'd say 20% have definite accepted job offers-and graduation is 3 months away. Many of us are interviewing for and competing for the same open positions, which kinda sucks.

Yep, I'd agree with that. There are still some 2011 people who haven't gotten a job offer yet. It isn't a pretty market.

That said, I know 2 of my classmates have gotten job offers this week. I got one last week. So it's not completely hopeless.

And here I thought once you're in vet school you're pretty much set. wow, this is a good reality check thread for me.
I had a difficult time job searching when I first graduated from undergrad in 2008 and would hate to have to go through it all over again. I read here (http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos076.htm#outlook) that the employment is expected to increase 33% until 2018. Job prospects are stated as "excellent job opportunities" due to the limited number of current vet schools.

I wonder if states like Hawaii for example, would have better job opportunities because they don't have any vet schools there and less likely that graduates would search in those areas.

this might be a stupid question, but does where you go to school have an effect on your ability to get a job /internship / residencey other then geographically?

I think that it can be slightly easier to find a job in the general area around the vet school b/c of the alumni network. But you can make connections anywhere in the country and find a job if you're tenacious enough.

And here I thought once you're in vet school you're pretty much set. wow, this is a good reality check thread for me.
I had a difficult time job searching when I first graduated from undergrad in 2008 and would hate to have to go through it all over again. I read here (http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos076.htm#outlook) that the employment is expected to increase 33% until 2018. Job prospects are stated as "excellent job opportunities" due to the limited number of current vet schools.

I wonder if states like Hawaii for example, would have better job opportunities because they don't have any vet schools there and less likely that graduates would search in those areas.

Hawaii does have some job postings, but their cost of living is incredibly high. And most people can't afford to live there/move there.

I think it is interesting. When my class graduated last year, most people didn't have jobs by graduation. Those that had job offers had a mix - some were really good offers and a lot were pretty lousy. I'm talking under 50k a year including benefits job offers. It would definitely be enough to live on if you didn't have debt, but the majority of my class had a lot of debt and would not be able to make that work without IBR.

Well, I know it's a dire thread, but congrats on that at least!

Thanks :) I'm passing on it and got my best friend an interview with them instead. (It's the clinic I worked at for years as an assistant)

They want someone to start very soon and I really, really, need time off. I'm too burnt out to go straight into practice. My friend is more anxious to start work than I am as her debt is much higher.

I also want to be in a different state, so I don't want to take a job here, get too comfy and never leave to try out a different life.

Hawaii does have some job postings, but their cost of living is incredibly high. And most people can't afford to live there/move there.

I think it is interesting. When my class graduated last year, most people didn't have jobs by graduation. Those that had job offers had a mix - some were really good offers and a lot were pretty lousy. I'm talking under 50k a year including benefits job offers. It would definitely be enough to live on if you didn't have debt, but the majority of my class had a lot of debt and would not be able to make that work without IBR.

Is this person lying or is this reality?

And I refuse to believe that all the current and former vet students on this forum saying things like this are "disgruntled" haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this person lying or is this reality?

And I refuse to believe that all the current and former vet students on this forum saying things like this are "disgruntled" haha.

I'm not lying - I'm telling you anecdotal evidence from personal experience. Take it with a grain of salt, but consider it, too.

There are no lies. Plain cold truth. We are up to our ears in debt and there are no jobs....and I knew this and went to vet school anyway. We're supposed to be the smart kids. Going to go dig a hole now. :(

For those of you who are first years like myself - start networking NOW.....

I have never understood the use of thinking "there are no jobs"...even if it IS TRUE, what good does that attitude get you? I graduated from undergrad in December 2010, did a 6 month paid internship, and then started my current job...I was fortuante enough to never be unemployed and willing to move anywhere (from NC, to FL, to MD). I also applied to literally 70+ jobs between both "application cycles". It took work, and I heard NOTHING back from majority of places but it happened. I think attitude (as with everything) has a big factor on how things turn out..."there ARE jobs" seems the most successful attitude to have! Good luck to everyone! :))

I have never understood the use of thinking "there are no jobs"...even if it IS TRUE, what good does that attitude get you? I graduated from undergrad in December 2010, did a 6 month paid internship, and then started my current job...I was fortuante enough to never be unemployed and willing to move anywhere (from NC, to FL, to MD). I also applied to literally 70+ jobs between both "application cycles". It took work, and I heard NOTHING back from majority of places but it happened. I think attitude (as with everything) has a big factor on how things turn out..."there ARE jobs" seems the most successful attitude to have! Good luck to everyone! :))

...jobs for a DVM. Making the sort of money that would pay back student loans, especially. Not just 'jobs' in general - places hiring veterinarians.

...jobs for a DVM. Making the sort of money that would pay back student loans, especially. Not just 'jobs' in general - places hiring veterinarians.

Well yeah, I got that...I just meant for ANY position I would think the mindset of "there is nothing out there" would not be helpful. Especially if you are already a vet, what good does it do? I could see how being "realistic" before entering a field may pay off but once you are done...sheesh, being optimistic can only make the job hunt process easier. Or maybe I am just happy because its Friday and Ive had like 4 cups of coffee today...:love:

agreed. and it's not so much "THERE ARE NO JOBBBBSSSS!!!!!!!" so much as it seems like we're all playing a game of musical chairs.

remember how adrenaline pumping that game was? even when it was that only 1 kid out of 25 wasn't going to make it? now imagine that there are fewer chairs available for each round, such that there might be one for every 20-30 kids. but there are supposedly hidden chairs in the school that may or may not be available to you. some lucky kids are friends with teachers/janitors that have saved a folding chair for them in some closet, but not everyone's that lucky. And no one knows for sure how many kids will actually end up without a seat in the end.

if you don't snag one of those visible seats or find a hidden one by the time the music stops (read: 6-month loan repayment grace period) the consequence isn't just humiliation and disappointment that you have to sit out for the rest of the game. it's defaulting on a mighty loan that isn't even dischargeable with bankruptcy.

yes i agree it's important to have a positive attitude in your cover letter and interviews and such... but beyond that, it's kind of hard not to be scared.

Well yeah, I got that...I just meant for ANY position I would think the mindset of "there is nothing out there" would not be helpful. Especially if you are already a vet, what good does it do? I could see how being "realistic" before entering a field may pay off but once you are done...sheesh, being optimistic can only make the job hunt process easier. Or maybe I am just happy because its Friday and Ive had like 4 cups of coffee today...:love:
Hey look, if you can keep a positive outlook in the face of a lousy situation, great for you. Unfortunately, for the vast majority of us, that is just not possible.

And if a great attitude translates into huge frustration because of unrealistic expectations, then that can be a problem.

So yeah, stay positive, but be realistic. I think these threads are to make sure we are all realistic going in. This is a great way for less than 100% perky-all-the-time people to avoid disappointment.

Remember as they teach in Harvard Biz School:

Satisfaction = Perception - Expectations.

Satisfaction has nothing to do with reality.
Keep your expectations low, then you will have high satisfaction.

(And expectations is not = to standards - don't go there).

agreed. and it's not so much "THERE ARE NO JOBBBBSSSS!!!!!!!" so much as it seems like we're all playing a game of musical chairs.

remember how adrenaline pumping that game was? even when it was that only 1 kid out of 25 wasn't going to make it? now imagine that there are fewer chairs available for each round, such that there might be one for every 20-30 kids. but there are supposedly hidden chairs in the school that may or may not be available to you. some lucky kids are friends with teachers/janitors that have saved a folding chair for them in some closet, but not everyone's that lucky. And no one knows for sure how many kids will actually end up without a seat in the end.

if you don't snag one of those visible seats or find a hidden one by the time the music stops (read: 6-month loan repayment grace period) the consequence isn't just humiliation and disappointment that you have to sit out for the rest of the game. it's defaulting on a mighty loan that isn't even dischargeable with bankruptcy.

yes i agree it's important to have a positive attitude in your cover letter and interviews and such... but beyond that, it's kind of hard not to be scared.

Ha! Brilliant! and not good.

Satisfaction has nothing to do with reality.
Keep your expectations low, then you will have high satisfaction.

(And expectations is not = to standards - don't go there).

Haha, I actually said this to my boyfriend the other night when I was trying to find something to do for the summer. He told me I'm too pessimistic sometimes. :oops: