Job, school, shadowing and volunteering...Overwhelmed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freesia88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious if there are any non trads out there who have fulltime jobs and fulltime school for prereqs and have to find a way to add volunteer work and shadowing. How do you do it? I am feeling a little overwhelmed.

I intend to apply for the next cycle and should have the basic prereqs and MCAT complete by summer next year, after which I plan to take some upper level science courses while my application is processed.

I have to work full time because I need to support myself. I don't think I should wait until my school schedule eases out a little to shadow and volunteer because by then I will be submitting my application and it seems like I need to put something in there for shadowing and volunteer hours. I don't want to wait untill the last minute.

I have a wonderful volunteer opportunity open to me starting next month doing work I really want to be a part of, but I am wary of adding it to my already full work and school schedule. Add shadowing and I just feel panicky.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat as you. I work 40 hours a week and I am doing an accelerated 1 year postbacc (full-time classes). I am also volunteering 4 hours a week at a hospital. I'm not shadowing yet, but I will be once I'm done with postbacc.

You just have to take it one day at a time. Don't try to think of it all at once because you'll get overwhelmed. You can do it.

i am in the same boat, When are you guys taking the mcat?:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to be blunt, and people aren't going to like it, but the bottom line is... Suck it up. It's possible, and it is overwhelming, but letting it get to you is only going to make things worse. Take a break from volunteering for a week, skate by with a 90 instead of a 100 on your next test or find some other way to make a little more time for yourself.

I'm going to be blunt, and people aren't going to like it, but the bottom line is... Suck it up. It's possible, and it is overwhelming, but letting it get to you is only going to make things worse. Take a break from volunteering for a week, skate by with a 90 instead of a 100 on your next test or find some other way to make a little more time for yourself.

:thumbup:
Weekends and late nights are great times to volunteer for us non-trads. Most hospitals that aren't near med schools don't even think about offering late hours so bring it up-I was going to the ER from 9-midnight, I left that after a year and still do the local homeless shelter (well, it's closed in the summer) from 9-1AM. Last semester I was doing 18 CR plus full time work plus kids and still got my volunteer hours in without a problem this way. We just have to be more creative than the trad students, but it's very possible.

There is a fine line to walk between challenging yourself and overwhelming yourself. I'd argue that it's good to feel a little bit in over your head, because that will force you to improve your organizational skills, which in turn will make you more capable of balancing multiple demands on your time at once. *But*, the caveat is that if it means your grades suffer, then you're going too far, and you need to back off. Likewise if you're about to have a nervous breakdown. So my suggestion is this: take the volunteer opportunity, and drop a class. Apply the year after next. Who gives a flying rip? There's no check box on the adcom evaluation sheet for "only took 12 credits per semester instead of the full 15." But there *is* a check box for quantity and quality of clinical experience. You follow me here?

There is a fine line to walk between challenging yourself and overwhelming yourself. I'd argue that it's good to feel a little bit in over your head, because that will force you to improve your organizational skills, which in turn will make you more capable of balancing multiple demands on your time at once. *But*, the caveat is that if it means your grades suffer, then you're going too far, and you need to back off. Likewise if you're about to have a nervous breakdown. So my suggestion is this: take the volunteer opportunity, and drop a class. Apply the year after next. Who gives a flying rip? There's no check box on the adcom evaluation sheet for "only took 12 credits per semester instead of the full 15." But there *is* a check box for quantity and quality of clinical experience. You follow me here?

I hear you loud and clear. Getting clinical experience per se is not the issue as I have over 2000 hrs of that having worked both as a nurse aide and a phlebotomist. It is my understanding though that there is a need for some kind of volunteer work to demonstrate altruism etc as well as shadowing for obvious reasons. At this point I am not concerned about my grades as the study system I have set up works really well. I am concerned about burning out. I don't know if dropping a class is an option but it is something I may well have to consider.

:thumbup:
Weekends and late nights are great times to volunteer for us non-trads. Most hospitals that aren't near med schools don't even think about offering late hours so bring it up-I was going to the ER from 9-midnight, I left that after a year and still do the local homeless shelter (well, it's closed in the summer) from 9-1AM. Last semester I was doing 18 CR plus full time work plus kids and still got my volunteer hours in without a problem this way. We just have to be more creative than the trad students, but it's very possible.

Wow! You're like superman..superwoman?:thumbup:

My first instinct was to be offended by your post but you make a good point. Its not like the volume of work is going to get better if I do make it into medical school. Funny that you mention the 90 vs 100 issue. I have been thinking that myself.

It's not about the amount of hours you put in, but the committment.

Volunteer like once a month, but do it for a year.

No one will check your hours, so you can put down 4 hours/week and have it add up substantially.

Shadowing is important, but after a day or two, you pretty much get the gist. Again, feel free to embellish this because no adcom is going to call up your shadowed physician and ask them to confirm their hours with you.

From my experience, the most important part of your app is your grades and your MCAT score. Do not sacrifice that for volunteering and/or shadowing especially for a non trad with a 40 hour work week. Get those grades and get your desired MCAT score.

Wow! You're like superman..superwoman?:thumbup:

My first instinct was to be offended by your post but you make a good point. Its not like the volume of work is going to get better if I do make it into medical school. Funny that you mention the 90 vs 100 issue. I have been thinking that myself.

Hardly, I just don't need sleep (I can honestly get by on 3-4 hours per night for extended periods of time). There are many other stories that I read and sit in awe of both here and on the oldpremed.org forums. I'm lucky enough that my kids are teenagers and all but have one foot out the door to starting their own lives, the people with toddlers and infants are the truly amazing ones, IMHO.

That 90 vs 100 issue is a very valid point, as well. I'm forever working the grading system to my advantage. One standout example from last semester: It was about 2/3 of the way through the session and I had a Physics II test and Calc I test on the same day (back to back, in fact-Physics at 10, Calc at 11). I was sitting at about a 94 in Physics and an 89.7 in Calc. The Physics teacher had a policy of flat-out dropping our lowest test grade (I had consistently been one of the top two grades in the class all year to this point). Calc would replace your lowest grade with your final grade, assuming the final was higher. So, I completely blew off studying Physics (didn't even glance at the notes) and spent the night hitting Calc problems. I got something ridiculous like at 54 on the Physics test (it was so bad the teacher even called me aside after class the next session to ask if everything was OK at home!) and I got a 97 on the Calc test. I ended the semester with about a 94 in both classes. Oh, and the Physics section was Optics, so it's not like it's information I'm ever likely to need again.

In short, don't be afraid to let your pride stand in the way of getting good grades. Know your syllabus and always be willing to work it to your advantage.

been there done that! 40hrs plus FT classes... How did I find time to shadow? Honestly I hated my job so much it wasn't a stretch for me to take a vacation day here/there to go do it... It is hard, but remember, YOU CAN DO IT! :) It isn't forever, you'll make it, just keep your eye on the prize ;)

I hear you loud and clear. Getting clinical experience per se is not the issue as I have over 2000 hrs of that having worked both as a nurse aide and a phlebotomist. It is my understanding though that there is a need for some kind of volunteer work to demonstrate altruism etc as well as shadowing for obvious reasons. At this point I am not concerned about my grades as the study system I have set up works really well. I am concerned about burning out. I don't know if dropping a class is an option but it is something I may well have to consider.
This isn't necessarily true. If you are taking full-time courses and full-time work, I would argue that any school that actually asks you "why didn't you have time for volunteer work?" wouldn't be one you want to attend anyway. Clinical experience is the important part, "showing altruism" is nice, but often overlooked for someone with your schedule. Spending time volunteering or at least doing SOMETHING is essential for the typical college student who takes 12-14 hours of classes a week and MAYBE works 12 hours in a week. Someone taking a full class load of pre-med sciences and working full time to support themselves is fine getting by without extra volunteering as long as the clinical experience is covered. Shadowing isn't a real concern as it can be fully covered on breaks from school and doesn't need to be a long term or regular time commitment. :luck:

I'll echo the "you can do it." and raise to "you can do it and get into med school". You will be surprised what you can get used to if you are motivated and know your limits.

I am 31, have 2 kids now ages 6 and 4. I did my undergrad working 30-40 hours a week, taking 12-18 credit hours of class a semester and volunteering 14 hours a week. (10 clinical and 4 with a project I'm passionate about and wouldn't give up).

Bottom line, it was hard. However, I quickly got used to it, and I think that my ability to juggle many balls at once made me appealing even with average GPA and MCAT. (3.4 & 28O).

Now, I look at many of my classmates who are vacationing this summer before we start, while I am working 60 hours a week + 10 hours a week of shadowing and say "guess who's going to be ready to hit the ground running?".

Push yourself, you'll get used to it and you can push a little more. Know your limits too. There were times when I couldn't push anymore and had to crash and sleep for 14 hours straight. (Usually once every 3 weeks or so.). Your mileage may vary, but I guarantee you will be surprised what you can get used to.

Make a plan. I worked 70 scheduled hours a week while getting shadowing/volunteering taking 20+ credits a semester and raising three kids. On day one, I could tell you exactly what assignment I was doing and what I was studying every day during the semester until finals. Make a plan.

Thank you all so much guys. This really makes me feel for settled about things. I probably should spend more time here than on the Pre-Allo forum because the 1000+ hrs volunteer and shadowing stories just freak me out :D

I always wondered if I could get a way with fewer volunteer and shadowng hours and it seems like I can so thats good to know as well.

I guess I will have to see just how far I can push myself.

Make a plan. I worked 70 scheduled hours a week while getting shadowing/volunteering taking 20+ credits a semester and raising three kids. On day one, I could tell you exactly what assignment I was doing and what I was studying every day during the semester until finals. Make a plan.

I applaud you. I don't even know how that is possible without foregoing sleep.

I'll echo Q here ... push yourself but don't overwhelm yourself. If you're doing well with school and work and you can't add something else right now (MCAT studying, volunteering, shadowing) without knocking down one of the other blocks, then DON'T. This isn't a sprint, it's a marathon.

I was juggling work, school, shadowing, volunteering and MCAT studying last spring and hit my breaking point when I got into a car accident and injured my back. To keep my sanity and restore my health, I pushed back the date of my MCAT and waited another year to apply. I don't regret it (yet). I got in a year of clinical experience that I wouldn't have had if I applied last summer. Time flies no matter what you do. Just keep moving.