Job Search

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

95beretta

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for when to start looking for post-fellowship jobs? Just started my first year of fellowship so I'm more focused on passing boards and surviving fellowship right now, but I've heard of people signing contracts in first year, second year, and third year. Even had a friend that went into Cardiology and signed during residency with a group to practice with them when he was out of fellowship. Me and my wife know the general area of the country we want to live in, but otherwise don't have a lot of direction for where we end up after fellowship. Is there anything you wish you had done differently (or that you're happy that you did) when looking for your first job?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends, do you plan on moving cross country? If so, then towards end of 2nd year, if you're looking more local, then start at the same time you're studying for boards, last minute decisions are a bad idea unless you have lots of money squirreled away, many hospitals take many months to get credentialed. It took me 5 months to complete their requirements to get to the med-exec committee, then I had to do a bunch of senseless mandatory training so I technically couldn't have started for 7 months after I started my application.

Unless you know 100% where you want to go and/or are looking for a stipend during fellowship, no reason to start looking right away. Otherwise, most people these days seem to start looking by the end of the second year/beginning of the third year of the pulmonary and critical care fellowship. As Hern very astutely pointed out the paperwork can take awhile to process - you'll likely need a new license of you are changing states and then hospital credentialing. You probably wnat to have things locked down no later than January your final year, unless of course you plan on just doing some mercenary work. But even that will require a certain amount of paperwork.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you look for jobs especially if your looking to go cross country.
Any websites?

Find the city(ies) where you would consider moving. Look up all the local hospitals. There will be physician recruiting contact info, send them an email with your CV or call.

Avoid recruiting companies if possible.

Find the city(ies) where you would consider moving. Look up all the local hospitals. There will be physician recruiting contact info, send them an email with your CV or call.

Avoid recruiting companies if possible.

Does this work fairly similar in academics?