Job search

Started by Algor
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Algor

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a few questions about a job search process.
.
1. How does "7 on/7 off" work load look like? How busy you are while doing those 7 days? Do you sleep at all? Do you sleep at home?
2. Would my potential employer pay for airfare and hotel accommodation during an interview?
3. When should I start applying? I am doing my final year of residency but will do one more year of neurophysiology fellowship.
4. What resources have you been using for a job search? Recruiters, cold calls to the hospitals?

Thanks
 
Last edited:
I have a few questions about a job search process.
.
1. How does "7 on/7 off" work load look like? How busy you are while doing those 7 days? Do you sleep at all? Do you sleep at home?
2. Would my potential employer pay for airfare and hotel accommodation during an interview?
3. When should I start applying? I am doing my final year of residency but will do one more year of neurophysiology fellowship.
4. What resources have you been using for a job search? Recruiters, cold calls to the hospitals?

Thanks

1. I don't know about your 7 on/7 off schedules.

2. Always yes in my experience, though I am sure there are exceptions. They are not obligated to pay for a spouse, though. In my experience, some places did this, and some didn't

3. I suggest starting at least two to three months into your fellowship. I started hunting for jobs almost right after starting fellowship. I had some long weekends, but managed not to chew up too much vacation time that way. Now is a bit early for you I would say. Ideally, I guess you would have your new job wrapped up by January/February of the year you intend to start. I didn't get my current job until April, though. No hard and fast rules for this.

4. Use a recruiter and you'll never stop hearing from them. Trust me. Many hospitals advertise in neurology journals, and many academic institutions (and hospitals) advertise on their actual websites. I suggest you consider where you would like to live, and then dig around the hospitals and groups in that area. Cold calling works, believe me. I got two job offers that way.

Best of luck.