Leaving job just after six months

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neurogeneral

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I had signed up for a teleneurology job, which I have been doing part time. The type of work is tele-neurohospitalist rounding on non-acute patients.

So far, I have not been a big fan of this job including the workflow and just the limitations of not being able to assess/examine patients in-person. I have also realized that I am more inclined towards the outpatient realm.

I am pondering giving notice after just six months. At the same time, I feel a little guilty of the time and money they spent in credentialing me in approximately 15 hospitals (although I did pay for the state licensing fees) and the fact that they are short on staff already. I want to be professional as possible about everything but I also know that teleneurology has a high attrition/turnover rate.

Should I just stick it out and delay the inevitable longer to like one year?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you’re not the practice owner, not your problem.

Reactions: 1 users
Nah. Just quit. Do what you like. If there's nothing in the contract penalizing it then who cares? You also paid for the licensing fees so it's not like they incur some monetary damages either. Their being short staffed is not your problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I had signed up for a teleneurology job, which I have been doing part time. The type of work is tele-neurohospitalist rounding on non-acute patients.

So far, I have not been a big fan of this job including the workflow and just the limitations of not being able to assess/examine patients in-person. I have also realized that I am more inclined towards the outpatient realm.

I am pondering giving notice after just six months. At the same time, I feel a little guilty of the time and money they spent in credentialing me in approximately 15 hospitals (although I did pay for the state licensing fees) and the fact that they are short on staff already. I want to be professional as possible about everything but I also know that teleneurology has a high attrition/turnover rate.

Should I just stick it out and delay the inevitable longer to like one year?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
They can deduct these expenses from their taxes

As long as your contract doesn’t burden you with paying back bonuses and stuff, you owe them nothing

If they don’t think you’re profitable, they’d fire you without hesitation. Don’t feel guilty

Outpatient world is in crazy demand for good neurologists. If that’s what rocks your boat, go for it.

Thanks for the replies and reassurances! Much appreciated as always.

Am currently doing outpatient locums work 2 weeks per month and I find myself enjoying this much more.

I would also consider your relationship with the company you're working for. Do you feel they have taken care of you? If you have a good relationship, it might be reasonable to tell them these things so they can have a heads up. If you don't hate what you're doing, it might at least allow them a window to try and compensate for your loss. You don't owe them, but it never hurts to be professional, especially if they've been good to you.

Reactions: 2 users