Job Search

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wick215

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had two interviews so far. I know it is early. I would really like to see what is out there before I commit to one of them. However, my friend interviewed last August and signed a contract in January. I been warned against recruiters so I guess I will be calling hospitals directly. My program is not giving us much guidance in this area. Any seniors getting ready to look and apply for a REAL job? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I feel obligated to respond to your comment "I have been warned against recruiters"...

Not sure what *exactly* most peoples' issue is with recruiters. I suspect some of the concern is along the lines of "if a place needs to hire a recruiter, there must be something wrong with it". I actually started my job hunt by the end of second year -- to the extent that by that time my wife and I were combing on-line advertisements, agreeing on where we might/might not consider, etc. By August of my 3rd year I had resumes out to a number of places, and by November I was done interviewing and had a contract in hand. I may have been earlier than some in the job hunt, so don't worry about exact timing.

Here is what I found.

1. There are a lot of jobs that are not advertised, but are readily available if you ask.
2. There are still jobs available in most "desirable" locations, though they are generally harder to find.
3. MOST jobs in "desirable" locations don't pay as well as MOST jobs in less desirable cities. There are always exceptions.
4. Recruiters come in many varieties, but generally show themselve fairly early. I actually went on a couple of interviews set up by recruiters and they all turned out to be excellent opportunities. I ended up taking a job through a third party recruiter for a position at a hospital that was not advertising. Their philosophy is that they don't want to exert the energy/time themselves to look for people, they would rather have a recruiter "weed out" people and present them to them. I passed the weed test and was flown for a 3 day visit to the city with my wife. We both loved it and I took the job 3 weeks later. I have been at this job for a year and love it. I did *not* pay a dime for interviews or to the recruiter. Some places offer signing bonuses but hold the bonus if you signed via a recruiter, essentially paying the bonus to the recruiter instead. I received a healthy signing bonus at the time my contract was signed despite the fact that I took the job through a recruiter.

Bottom line -- look early, cast a wide net, don't turn your nose up at recruiters until you hear what they have to say. I would say that the opportunities may surprise you. PM me if you want more specifics, but I am quite happy in terms of the job and the benefits.

HighDesert

I would echo that not all recruiters are bad. My company EmCare uses in house recruiters because we have over 400 contracts. Some of the jobs are great and are highly selective. Others are turkeys. The recruiters can help narrow the field for you. They can steer you toward your desired position in terms of rural vs. urban, big hospital vs. small hospital, etc. Yes, they may try to steer you toward the hard to fill spot. Recruiters are what they are. You can use them to your advantage but you just have to know what you're getting into.

Members don't see this ad :)
wick215 said:
I have had two interviews so far. I know it is early. I would really like to see what is out there before I commit to one of them. However, my friend interviewed last August and signed a contract in January. I been warned against recruiters so I guess I will be calling hospitals directly. My program is not giving us much guidance in this area. Any seniors getting ready to look and apply for a REAL job? Any advice?

Youre interviwing NOW??? most of our seniors don't start looking until late oct. Some even later and they all have jobs, and NYC is a tight market. wow

roja said:
Youre interviwing NOW??? most of our seniors don't start looking until late oct. Some even later and they all have jobs, and NYC is a tight market. wow

Yeah! I always ask if I am too early and the the answer is always no, you are never too early. I am currently hitting the pavement hard and sending out my CV and cover letter to as many hospitals as possible. The response has been great. The turn over rate for em docs is high (according to hospitals and recruiters) and they tell me they always need someone. I am actually using emcare for a hospital where I am currently moonlighting and I really like them. I was simply warned against recruiters because I was told that they take money away from your ponential salary. I do not want that!! Too many loans to pay back. Anyway, thanks for the advice all.

Also, I know a internal resident who signed a contract back in January for a job as a hospitalist and she does not graduate until June 2007.????

I guess recruiters can come in all varieties...

My recruiter did not "take money away from (my) potential salary". I am paid the same amount as all of the other ED docs in my group as it is a *true* democratic group. Don't be swayed by generalizations...

--HighDesert

I guess recruiters can come in all varieties...

My recruiter did not "take money away from (my) potential salary". I am paid the same amount as all of the other ED docs in my group as it is a *true* democratic group. Don't be swayed by generalizations...

--HighDesert

I began to look for jobs at the end of my second year. DC is notoriously a very tough market to crack.... My first interview I went through a recruiter. Decent job opp, actually. I do believe that most hospitals are just too busy (or dont' want to waste their energy) with the recruiting process. In places where people want to live (Colorado, DC, etc), there will always be a ton of applicants waiting for those jobs... so I can imagine from a Med Director's standpoint it can be a nightmare. Word of mouth is also a big way to fill spots. Just tell teh EP's working with you they need some help, and they'll find a friend who is looking to move back in the area....

Anyways, I think its good to start with a recruiter now. Don't sign a contract yet until you've looked at atleast 1 but preferably 2 or 3 other hospitals. Things can vary quite a bit!

And don't forget the ACEP Job fair... low yield for me but it could be one man's treasure.

Q

I guess you never know. One of my closest friends didn't start applying until december/january. He has a great job in DC now. (I think he interviewed in march) I am just so sad that he is leaving! :(