Job Shadowing a Compound Pharmacist - Etiquette

Started by NTett
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NTett

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I'm a senior in high school and recently got in contact with a local, independent compounding pharmacy to do job shadowing for one day. Correspondence over emails has been pretty relaxed and casual, however I have some questions with Etiquette during job shadowing.

First, what is the usual dress-code for compounding pharmacies? I literally have no idea what is appropriate to wear and I don't wish to make a bad impression.

Second, what is the usual procedure for after a job-shadow? I assume that I should send a follow-up thank you note explaining my gratitude and that I learned a lot. Is this common?

Also, if any of you have anything random that you wish to share about job shadowing etiquette please do! Anything you wish you would have known? Any good questions to ask? Thanks in advance!
 
1. wear khakis and tucked in polo shirt if you are a male. If you are a female, wear whatever the hell you want because literally anything is apparently considered professional dress for females

2. A thank you letter is nice but an email would probably suffice, especially if it's just for a one time thing

3. don't grab the ketamine and start snorting it
 
Hey everyone,

I'm a senior in high school and recently got in contact with a local, independent compounding pharmacy to do job shadowing for one day. Correspondence over emails has been pretty relaxed and casual, however I have some questions with Etiquette during job shadowing.

First, what is the usual dress-code for compounding pharmacies? I literally have no idea what is appropriate to wear and I don't wish to make a bad impression.

Second, what is the usual procedure for after a job-shadow? I assume that I should send a follow-up thank you note explaining my gratitude and that I learned a lot. Is this common?

Also, if any of you have anything random that you wish to share about job shadowing etiquette please do! Anything you wish you would have known? Any good questions to ask? Thanks in advance!

1) Dress nice. Are you a guy? Wear a shirt and tie, no coat.

2) A thank-you note will be a nice touch.

3) Remember to be respectful to all the staff and show your appreciation. Ask questions for which you want the answers, no right or wrong in this scenario.

Also, bring your own mortar and pestle.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. wear khakis and tucked in polo shirt if you are a male. If you are a female, wear whatever the hell you want because literally anything is apparently considered professional dress for females

2. A thank you letter is nice but an email would probably suffice, especially if it's just for a one time thing

3. don't grab the ketamine and start snorting it

1) Disagree. Polo would suffice but why only do the minimum? Show your gratitude by dressing nicely. If you are a woman I am sure you know better than the rest of that statement.

2) Most people would only send an email, a hand written thank you note is probably rare. Whatever you decide will be fine, but a hand written note is definitely the extra mile here.

3) Sound advice 👍
 
1) Dress nice. Are you a guy? Wear a shirt and tie, no coat.

2) A thank-you note will be a nice touch.

3) Remember to be respectful to all the staff and show your appreciation. Ask questions for which you want the answers, no right or wrong in this scenario.

Also, bring your own mortar and pestle.

You can almost never go wrong wearing a shirt and tie. The rare exceptions being a beer blast or metal concert.

No exceptions for 2 and 3, gratitude and respect are always a good idea.

I have no idea why you would bring your own mortal and pestle. I haven't worked in a compounding pharmacy before, but I think you might be getting trolled with that last bit of advice.
 
You can almost never go wrong wearing a shirt and tie. The rare exceptions being a beer blast or metal concert.

No exceptions for 2 and 3, gratitude and respect are always a good idea.

I have no idea why you would bring your own mortal and pestle. I haven't worked in a compounding pharmacy before, but I think you might be getting trolled with that last bit of advice.

Guilty! :meanie:
 
I've worked at three compounding pharmacies now and in all three cases the pharmacists never dressed up more than khakis and a polo shirt tucked in. I think you would just stand out if you wore a shirt and tie. Especially if it's a friday and everyone is wearing jeans.
 
Who, me? Never! :scared:


im-watching-you-focker.jpg


:meanie::meanie::meanie: