Job Shadowing

Started by benja119
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

benja119

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering how everyone is getting veterinary experience hours during COVID. I’ve only been able to get a few hours from a local vet, when I try calling other vets to see if I am able to job shadow they say they can’t because of COVID. So I am wondering how I am supposed to get these hours, I don’t have a veterinary assistant job either which I have tried applying for but they look for more qualified candidates who have worked in a veterinary office before. Any suggestions would help!
 
I don't think there is an easy answer. Keep calling other places and extend the radius you're looking in, knowing it will be more of a hassle to get to them. Keep applying for kennel or assistant jobs to get your foot in the door.

Be creative and look for other options, like wildlife rehab, large-animal vets, equine vets, etc.

In a different thread people were talking about some virtual options, but I don't know anything about that and am not aware of it myself. Can search for that thread.

Just no magical answer, I think.
 
I was wondering how everyone is getting veterinary experience hours during COVID. I’ve only been able to get a few hours from a local vet, when I try calling other vets to see if I am able to job shadow they say they can’t because of COVID. So I am wondering how I am supposed to get these hours, I don’t have a veterinary assistant job either which I have tried applying for but they look for more qualified candidates who have worked in a veterinary office before. Any suggestions would help!
Not sure if it will help you but there are a few veterinarians who are active on YouTube. Since they already have the arrangement (cameras and other stuff), I think some of them may agree on virtual shadowing. I am also a pre-vet and I am trying to get in touch with some of them 🙂