Job Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benja119

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how everyone is getting veterinary experience hours during COVID. I’ve only been able to get a few hours from a local vet, when I try calling other vets to see if I am able to job shadow they say they can’t because of COVID. So I am wondering how I am supposed to get these hours, I don’t have a veterinary assistant job either which I have tried applying for but they look for more qualified candidates who have worked in a veterinary office before. Any suggestions would help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think there is an easy answer. Keep calling other places and extend the radius you're looking in, knowing it will be more of a hassle to get to them. Keep applying for kennel or assistant jobs to get your foot in the door.

Be creative and look for other options, like wildlife rehab, large-animal vets, equine vets, etc.

In a different thread people were talking about some virtual options, but I don't know anything about that and am not aware of it myself. Can search for that thread.

Just no magical answer, I think.

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering how everyone is getting veterinary experience hours during COVID. I’ve only been able to get a few hours from a local vet, when I try calling other vets to see if I am able to job shadow they say they can’t because of COVID. So I am wondering how I am supposed to get these hours, I don’t have a veterinary assistant job either which I have tried applying for but they look for more qualified candidates who have worked in a veterinary office before. Any suggestions would help!
Not sure if it will help you but there are a few veterinarians who are active on YouTube. Since they already have the arrangement (cameras and other stuff), I think some of them may agree on virtual shadowing. I am also a pre-vet and I am trying to get in touch with some of them :)