Job versus fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

big al

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you choose if you had a job offer in a small town (general surg path, gyn, gi, bone marrow ~20K surg volume, currently two members in the group) and a fellowship offer? Considering that things seem to be progressing to subspecialization and everyone is doing a fellowship do you think it would be detrimental to your career to not do a fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

What would you choose if you had a job offer in a small town (general surg path, gyn, gi, bone marrow ~20K surg volume, currently two members in the group) and a fellowship offer? Considering that things seem to be progressing to subspecialization and everyone is doing a fellowship do you think it would be detrimental to your career to not do a fellowship?

you have given us zero details in order for us to help with this decision.

job partnership track? how long? buyin? what is partner pay? what is cost of living in the area? what is your state income tax level?

what fellowship? where?

Two guys are doing ~20K? Are they on juice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I assumed that was a wide exaggeration and they added gyn cytology to the number...

job partnership track? how long? buyin? what is partner pay?

At this point I don't know the answer to these questions. Basically what I've been doing is just cold calling pathologists in the surrounding states and asking if they will be anticipating needing someone in the near future. I called this one person who said yes I need someone ASAP. We talked about the practice ie the number of pathologists in the group, the variety of cases, the hospitals they work at etc. We agreed to stay in touch. I am at the point that if I'm going to do a fellowship I need to be applying.

The number 20K is an estimate and takes into account everything.

Unless you have a valid and signed job offer it will not be final. They might not hire you, just because they need someone doesn't mean they will accept anyone. If you have more contact with them and they go over your qualifications and think you are appropriate for the job, then you can do that. Personally, I think the job would be better than the fellowship, but that's only if things are certain and you aren't going to get booted out of that job in a year. If they need someone ASAP who is to say they will wait for you to finish your training - if you are only now considering applying for fellowships then you probably would be applying for no earlier than the 2009-10 academic year, and even then it's getting late to start that process.

You have to do what's best for you. Don't torpedo your future because there MIGHT be a job out there in 15 months. You can't leave residency early. It might be a crap job, who knows. It might be a great job. You can always apply for fellowships and withdraw your application up to the point where you sign a contract (and even afterwards, perhaps, if you are leaving to get a real job, in some situations).

Doing a fellowship is extra training. If you are comfortable with where your skills are without it, the only reason to do it is to get the piece of paper and the credentials. If you can get the job you want without the credentials and the paper, the fellowship becomes essentially worthless. But if that is not your ideal job and you plan to move on to a different one, it might make a difference. But if you prove to be a superstar efficient and competent pathologist at this job, you also might not need the fellowship because you have proven skills, experience, etc.

You have to make these decisions on your own weighing all the factors.

Unless you have a valid and signed job offer it will not be final. They might not hire you, just because they need someone doesn't mean they will accept anyone. If you have more contact with them and they go over your qualifications and think you are appropriate for the job, then you can do that. Personally, I think the job would be better than the fellowship, but that's only if things are certain and you aren't going to get booted out of that job in a year. If they need someone ASAP who is to say they will wait for you to finish your training - if you are only now considering applying for fellowships then you probably would be applying for no earlier than the 2009-10 academic year, and even then it's getting late to start that process.

You have to do what's best for you. Don't torpedo your future because there MIGHT be a job out there in 15 months. You can't leave residency early. It might be a crap job, who knows. It might be a great job. You can always apply for fellowships and withdraw your application up to the point where you sign a contract (and even afterwards, perhaps, if you are leaving to get a real job, in some situations).

Doing a fellowship is extra training. If you are comfortable with where your skills are without it, the only reason to do it is to get the piece of paper and the credentials. If you can get the job you want without the credentials and the paper, the fellowship becomes essentially worthless. But if that is not your ideal job and you plan to move on to a different one, it might make a difference. But if you prove to be a superstar efficient and competent pathologist at this job, you also might not need the fellowship because you have proven skills, experience, etc.

You have to make these decisions on your own weighing all the factors.

That is some of the best advice ive heard on this site so far! Thanks