• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Job while waiting for fellowship?

Unty

15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
    Has anyone ever taken on a full time job (academic or private) for a year and then leave for a fellowship after a year? I am looking to apply for fellowship and if I dont get it, will look for a job (for a year) and then leave for the fellowship if I do get it on second try. Has anyone done this?

About the Ads

KCShaw

10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Oct 25, 2007
    1. Attending Physician
      Has anyone done it? Ever? Probably, yeah, although I can't think of anyone I know who did. I also don't see the utility, unless it's a fellowship you really, really want/can't see yourself being satisfied without. Job generally trumps fellowship, now and for your future, because experience generally trumps fellowship. Generally. But if you really want to do nothing but neuro, or peds, or forensic, or whatever which has nothing to do with your current job offer and which is much harder to do without a fellowship... well, that's up to you. You also -might- find a job willing to take you back again after fellowship, but I really wouldn't hold my breath. Alternatively, if finances permit, you might be able to do locums for the year -- but again, experience tends to trump training and if you have no job experience I suspect very few places are going to want to bring you in to fill a gap as a locum for a few days/weeks/months without some better reason to feel confident you can handle it.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.