Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apparition

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, but does one include an "off the books" job on AMCAS if it is a somewhat medical job?
I appreciate any replies!

Members don't see this ad.

"Off the books"? Hmmm, that sounds sketchy...what do you mean by that? You mean ones without a job title? or you did once in a while?

I think Apparition means employment that is not taxed (the government does not know about it).

Members don't see this ad :)
If it was an activity that you put time and effort into and you got something great out of it, then you should definitely add it. Major activities should be included especially if they are medically-oriented.

You mean being paid under the table? List it as something other than employment such as maybe an internship, volunteer, etc.

i dont think many ever agree with you TT but for once I think you are right :)....I think it would look more honest for you to put it as volunteer......Sometimes doing things under the table is illegal and as doctors we are suppose to be honest and stuff.

Personally, you do what you have to do to get your money, whether hired or doing it under the table.....:scared: but for those future interviewers of me out there disregard what i said :laugh:

Originally posted by DrWorkNeverDone
i dont think many ever agree with you TT but for once I think you are right :)....

..gee, thanks.

put any job that you did and got something out of...

doesnt matter if it was under the table or nontaxed. you got paid for it.

Thank you guys for responding. I planned to put it in as work experience but I was scared that they have some way of checking whether I was employed there. It seems that they have access to a lot of info about applicants. They never ask for a reference, do they? I'm just not sure what the employer would say.

The AMCAS application is actually a tool used by the IRS to catch med school applicants who are cheating on their taxes. You better be careful!

I'm just kidding. You'll probably be fine either way you list it, as volunteer or employment. I don't think it matters to most schools whether your experience is paid or not.

Just saw your above post...you actually do have to list a reference for each of your volunteer, work, and extracurricular experiences.

Originally posted by ATPase
Just saw your above post...you actually do have to list a reference for each of your volunteer, work, and extracurricular experiences.

Wow, that means that I can't put it in afterall?

Does it matter? I mean, if they call this reference, the person would say you worked there, right? No one's going to report you to the IRS or request a W-2 form or anything. But if the reference will say you were employed there, you shouldn't put it under "Volunteer Experiences." Chances are they won't contact the reference anyway.

Originally posted by ATPase
Does it matter? I mean, if they call this reference, the person would say you worked there, right? No one's going to report you to the IRS or request a W-2 form or anything. But if the reference will say you were employed there, you shouldn't put it under "Volunteer Experiences." Chances are they won't contact the reference anyway.

I'm afraid that the employer will deny that I worked there because it wasn't taxed.

Is the employer someone you can call and talk to about this? At the very least, you can call and ask if that person would mind if you put their name down as a reference on your med school application. Then maybe the door will be open for you to ask him/her if you should list it as a volunteer position instead. You could just say that since this was off the books, would it be okay to classify it on the form as a volunteer position? Or maybe he/she will say it doesn't matter and you can list it as paid. If you're worried about it, I would talk candidly with this employer.

The references on the AMCAS are optional. I didn't fill out a reference for about half of my activities and was never asked about it. The main reason I say to list it as a job is because you don't want this to be something that creeps up on you later. If you start to get questions about your volunteer work with XXX Inc. during the interview, then you would either have to lie or explain how your applicant was false, and that is a very bad position to be in. If it is listed as a job, then you can just talk about it normally, since an interview is not going to ask you out of the blue if you were paid under the table or not.

~AS1~