jobs after residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moviefreak

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I read in FREIDA that about 50% of residents pratice in the state where they trained. How easy/difficult is it to practice in a state other than your training site? Do you get to choose where you want to practice? What determines w/c OBGYN grad gets the pick of the litter?

Members don't see this ad.

You really can practice wherever you want to practice after residency. The only caveat is that you need to be licensed in whatever state you choose. I think such a large group of residents stay where they did their residency simply because they may have selected their training program based on lifestyle choices such as geographical location, proximity to family, and cost of living that are amenable to them.

I agree with the above. You can practice in whatever state you want as long as you obtain a medical license. I believe there a lot of factors that keep people in their training area. I believe one of the biggest reasons is that you get comfortable in your hospital. You know all the other doctors, the department, the nurses, the orders, other docs in the other fields. Most of the times groups who are looking to hire seek you out b/c they get to know you after your residency. If you have family then that is a big factor b/c you might not want to relocate if you are married, if your spouse has a good job, if the children like their school, parents are around to help with the kids.