Jobs for GP's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Itchy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I didn't match into a competitive residency and I did a prelim year, passed step 3 and got my license, and didn't match into a competitive residency again...

What would my job options be as just a GP? Would I have to do a residency to be able to work anywhere?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

If I didn't match into a competitive residency and I did a prelim year, passed step 3 and got my license, and didn't match into a competitive residency again...

What would my job options be as just a GP? Would I have to do a residency to be able to work anywhere?

Thank you

What kind of prelim year did you do--IM or surgery?

im sure you can work as a GP, as to where im not sure. i think you could start ur own practice (of course i dont know much about that--others may), but i think it is out of pocket for patients? u'd have to check on that. i think there are indian reservations, prisons, or underserved areas you could work in (search for "medical officer" in usajobs.gov to find some of those). there are also insurance companies you could work for...sometimes they are listed in careerbuilder.com...just google it to find those. For example I found this by googling: http://www.healthecareers.com/jobs/physician/1046187.htm?partner=HECC&type=partner&source=jujuppc which is something you could do.

try comphealth.com they may find something for you. sometimes you find things on craigslist. in which state are you licensed? maybe try to search for options in that state.

once you are licensed you can work on cruise ships sometimes too.

if all else fails try a noncompetitive residency like fp or psych. maybe try preventative medicine/occupational medicine. i dont know how competitive that is.

P.S.: you are listed as medical student? u can upgrade that to resident.

Last edited:
It's going to be difficult to obtain payment from the major payers. You may wan to consider some non-clinical options until you've completed residency.

Thank you

As a clinician? Essentially yes. There are some exceptions but the jobs all kind of suck (prison, IHS, cruise, etc) and are dead-end.

Do most cruise ships and prisons hire people with just a PGY1? Prison medicine has become a little more attractive to some, since it's an employed position with benefits, etc. and defined work hours.

A lot (maybe most all?) insurance companies won't pay doctors who haven't finished residency. Most patients, at least in my part of the country, don't want to pay out of pocket to see a doctor.

People will pay doctors out of pocket. There are plenty of people who will. You just need to know how to market yourself appropriately. Due to the lack of full residency training it may be harder to capture a retainer or higher end type practice. So, instead go old school.

Put up your fee schedule on your door. No pay, no treatment. Walkins only. Spend the time needed for your patients. Deliver communication. Your overhead will be rediculously low. As a result you'll be capable of making as much or more than other FP's in traditional practices. After you grow the practice, hire a cadre of PA's.

Here is your inspiration. http://www.patmosemergiclinic.com./index.html

You can also work for insurance companies doing physical exams, or work for drug companies.

thanks for the asnwers guys, cos im in a similar boat too

If you pass your step III and pass a military physical, you can be a General Medical Officer, Flight Surgeon, or a DMO/UMO

Pay is roughly 80K/year (before taxes), give or take based on where you are stationed and how many years of service you have.

Also, a couple of flight docs (that are only PGY-1 trained) I know also moonlight in Urgent Care Clinics around the area they are stationed